The PSV is Region Free!

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like one of our long awaited questions has been answered!

QUOTE said:
In a PlayStation Vita session for European and Australian press at E3 today, Michael Denny, Sony's Vice President of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, confirmed that - to the best of his knowledge - Vita would be region free.

This means games from any region will play on systems from any region. This is in line with the PlayStation 3 - which is also region free, but not with the 3DS, which has region restrictions. Good news for PlayStation fans who want to check out niche Japanese titles or purchase games while travelling.

News Source: IGN

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
f*** yeah!!!

even more reason to get it
wub.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Not shocking.
smile.gif

Importing the games from other countries (especially Japan) would be a killer though.

Now I hope PSV/PSV games won't be costly in Singapore.

Also, I can't say this is fully reliable/true, but Nintendo region locked the 3DS mainly for Anti-Piracy measures.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
prowler_ said:
chris888222 said:
Nintendo region locked the 3DS mainly for Anti-Piracy measures.
uh no.
region free doesn't mean the 3DS will get hacked any faster.
I didn't say my statement was 100% correct.
closedeyes.gif

But think about it, there was little reason (LITTLE) why region locking on the 3DS seemed logical.

If the 3DS games were to have an international release (just like the update), that would cover up the region lock issue.

Anyway, this gives me a reason to get Vita. Now what worries me is the crazy prices Sony Singapore can hatch out with... They just launched their 3D Smart TV 46" on the IT Show for a crazy price of $5,688 with no freebies.
frown.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Good move by Sony, and no it's not a 3DS killer move. We shall see who kills what and how when the PS Vita releases. Does PSV take revenge of its precious PSP or go down with it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Raika said:
Next thing you know Nintendo releases a region free 3DSLite, screwing all existing 3DS owners over.
Nintendo claims to have learnt it's lesson on constant handheld remakes.

We'll see.

QUOTE(SamAsh07 @ Jun 9 2011, 05:23 PM) Good move by Sony, and no it's not a 3DS killer move. We shall see who kills what and how when the PS Vita releases. Does PSV take revenge of its precious PSP or go down with it.
It's not really considered a good move, but rather an expected move. The Vita can stream easily with PS3. Since PS3 is considered largely region free, the Vita should be as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although @SylverReZ my throat feels normal now