Gaming The real truth behind EA and others hating the Wii U....

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, if we want Nintendo to be successful, yes, but for now I personally think Nintendo needs to back out of the console market and produce 3rd party games for the other systems while still decimating the handheld market. Right now, Nintendo is the only real option for real games in the handheld market (vita is still flailing around trying to get picked up for good 3rd party support).

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Reason 1: SALES!
Reason 2: Sony and MS are financially supporting those devs, Nintendo believes it isn't necessary and that developers will hop on once the system gets sales through their own software like with 3DS.
I don't think good Wii U sales will be enough and Nintendo will hopefully realize that. The only investment right now when it comes to third parties is Platinum Games it seems.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Only read the first paragraph, but it's wrong.

Sony has not implemented any way to increase DRM. Microsoft has done so, but it's not a mandatory thing. Unless a developer wants to enable it, there is no additional DRM on the X1.

Yeah, your whole post is wrong. Sony and Nintendo are in the exact same positions they were on DRM.
No additional DRM? What about the requirement to connect to the internet every 24 hrs? Or does the P$4 do that too?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if we want Nintendo to be successful, yes, but for now I personally think Nintendo needs to back out of the console market and produce 3rd party games for the other systems while still decimating the handheld market. Right now, Nintendo is the only real option for real games in the handheld market (vita is still flailing around trying to get picked up for good 3rd party support).

You... you're.. you're kidding right?

Nintendo only last year (or this year, one of the two) posted their first loss, even then, they made like 5-6 billion dollars (that's U.S). That means, for the last 30 years, they've been turning profits. That's unbelievable. It would be a huuuuuge financial disaster for them and their company if they went third party. I'm sorry, but you're opinion is wrong.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Its just my opinion, relax. Wii U offers nothing new, and they were selling it at a loss. It was in my opinion a bad idea for them to release it as it was with no first or third party support to even sell it, and now the PS4 and X1 are coming out so they will sell even less consoles than they would have. The only market that they don't have any major competition for the same style of games is the handheld. The 3DS focuses on "real" games (for lack of a better term), while smart phones, the 3DS's largest competitor, mostly focus on casual games. Also, how can an opinion be wrong? Its not like I'm stating it as a fact that Nintendo would make more money as a 3rd party dev, I'm just saying that I think that it would be better business if they did.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
You... you're.. you're kidding right?

Nintendo only last year (or this year, one of the two) posted their first loss, even then, they made like 5-6 billion dollars (that's U.S). That means, for the last 30 years, they've been turning profits. That's unbelievable. It would be a huuuuuge financial disaster for them and their company if they went third party. I'm sorry, but you're opinion is wrong.
Does that include the time before their pong system and hanafuda cards? More like 120+ years if that's the case.
It's insane how much they profit from hardware sales, they've barely started with the Wii U, once they get the games out there it can potentially walk the same path as 3DS. Saying they should go 3rd party is the most absurd statement you can make about the company. 3DS currently owns more than half of the entire dedicated gaming market in Japan. In the US it's at 20+ % with a very steady growth, AC:NL boosted sales of the system by four times so who knows how that number will look like by the end of the year?

Yeah people need to stop throwing comments left and right without knowing how anything in the industry works...

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Wasn't the xbone locked by default and the devs had the option to turn it off or charge money for a new "key"?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
*Scooby Doo-esque villain unmasking* Mr Pachter!?

I don't think Nintendo are the type of company to admit defeat. They'd sooner spend their billions in savings on trying to become successful in the home console market again... and so would I if I were in their shoes. Even the GameCube, seen as a failure to so many people, turned a modest profit. They have some of the largest selling video game franchises of all time, including the most popular video game franchise of all time (Mario). By producing hardware that these franchises remain exclusive to, they're all but guaranteeing themselves a reasonable portion of the market (and they know this). The hard part for them is appealing to the rest of the market, something that they're obviously struggling with presently but will keep trying different ways to attain that goal.

People that say Nintendo should go 3rd party for other hardware seem to have a really short memory span. It's less than 7 years ago that they launched a console that dominated the market, then they launch a new console that doesn't do so well and people start saying they should drop out of the home console game. Then there's Sony, whose profits over the last 7 years have been shaky to say the least, and have struggled to gain significant traction in the handheld market since entering it, but nobody suggests they should drop out and make games as a 3rd party for the 3DS. If the PS4 launches and flops, I doubt we'll see Pachter saying they should abandon the home console market.

It all makes me wonder if it's all just wishful thinking because people don't want to buy a Nintendo console but want the option of playing some of the Nintendo franchises that appeal to them. Which brings us full circle to my first point; they know a lot of people will buy their home consoles just to play Nintendo games.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I think that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will not take any action to avoid devs to use DRM based codes. The only difference here is that Microsoft is encouraging devs to do that (by forcing an everyday on conection even to play offline). We cant predict the future but I think it wont take long to devs put physical games aside (note that I'm not telling that I like that). I see no Nintendo move against this, so I see no reason to believe that there is some kind of comercial war against Nintendo.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will not take any action to avoid devs to use DRM based codes. The only difference here is that Microsoft is encouraging devs to do that (by forcing an everyday on conection even to play offline). We cant predict the future but I think it wont take long to devs put physical games aside (note that I'm not telling that I like that). I see no Nintendo move against this, so I see no reason to believe that there is some kind of comercial war against Nintendo.
Read my link and Reggie's words. When one side wants something and the other is
diametrically opposed to it; conflict. So no, I was not wrong. Whether EA and other sob companies implement drm features remains to be seen. Nintendo will not allow it, MS demands it, Sony took middle ground.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do we really need many big third parties to support wii u?
Exclusives are the only games that really make use of the wii u and are worth playing imo.

Hi N64 with appalling third party support which lead to length periods where the console had no new releases! A situation which wasn't helped by Yamauchi wanting the hardware to be difficult to program for because of his absurd belief it weed out the crap.

Console history since the 80s has indicated that consoles with good third party support tend to do well.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners," a Sony rep told Polygon.

From what Ive seen EA are quite fond of "online passes", something the wii u dosent use as yet. Is the wii u hate to do with it not being able to use this form of "used game DRM"?

EDIT: oh seems im slow with the news, EA has discontinued online passes

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't see the logic behind the reasoning behind the argument behind the explanation behind the interview behind the video behind the DRM behind the Wii U failing.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ANOTHER point here; Sony is not forcing "always online" features. Consider though, PS4 will have some interesting data collection tools and about 98% of owners will likely connect to PSN. MS is forcing it while MOST of that seems optional with PS4. Only saying, 3rd party can go DRM as Sony permits it and Nintendo said, "Not our business model." I still believe this is the primary reason for EA and others giving EVERY other excuse for not diving onto the Wii U. They dev for 360, PS2, PS3, Wii, etc; Wii U has hardware between PS4/XBONE(d) and the older systems. It is not an Atari as they make it out to be.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
ANOTHER point here; Sony is not forcing "always online" features. Consider though, PS4 will have some interesting data collection tools and about 98% of owners will likely connect to PSN. MS is forcing it while MOST of that seems optional with PS4. Only saying, 3rd party can go DRM as Sony permits it and Nintendo said, "Not our business model." I still believe this is the primary reason for EA and others giving EVERY other excuse for not diving onto the Wii U. They dev for 360, PS2, PS3, Wii, etc; Wii U has hardware between PS4/XBONE(d) and the older systems. It is not an Atari as they make it out to be.
They develop for those older systems because games on those systems will sell, unlike the Wii U they know those systems in and out, for them porting a game to let's say a 360 is a very easy process with a big profit margin. Wii U's market is quite small right now and since it's brand new it requires them to do hardware research for their ports since it's not as easy as pressing a button, especially with the difference in architecture between current gen and Wii U. Sony and MS are financially and technically supporting devs like EA while Nintendo still has a "once the system sells like hotcakes it'll get all the support" attitude. They've done this with Platinum Games but I think they need to start doing it more frequently.

As for excuses?
Well it's not like the Wii anymore where devs couldn't even start their games, Wii U is capable of running the next gen engines, it's a weaker system yes but it's still capable of the DX11 equivalent shaders and effects these engines are dependent on in order to work. Wii U next gen multiplats will come but only if Nintendo wakes up, steps in and gives the devs a reason to develop for them just like MS been doing, *cough* money *cough*. It's how things in the industry works and Nintendo, as always, are slow to adopt. That said I don't think EA is the company they should be going after.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its just my opinion, relax. Wii U offers nothing new, and they were selling it at a loss. It was in my opinion a bad idea for them to release it as it was with no first or third party support to even sell it, and now the PS4 and X1 are coming out so they will sell even less consoles than they would have. The only market that they don't have any major competition for the same style of games is the handheld. The 3DS focuses on "real" games (for lack of a better term), while smart phones, the 3DS's largest competitor, mostly focus on casual games. Also, how can an opinion be wrong? Its not like I'm stating it as a fact that Nintendo would make more money as a 3rd party dev, I'm just saying that I think that it would be better business if they did.

The Xbox One doesn't offer anything new, does it? What of the PS4? That doesn't offer anything new. An opinion doesn't or shouldn't be passed off as factual. If Nintendo went out of the console business, there would be just Sony and Microsoft but the competition wouldn't be that great, that's not how it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk