Gaming Tomodachi Life, region differences?

ieatpixels

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I was playing Tomodachi Life and I noticed it's very british, with the accents and the food. (Fish & Chips, crisps, tea.)
I'm wondering, if the American version of the game the same?

It probably is, but I find it amusing how they made it so British for the entire EU/Australasia region.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm betting the japanese region doesn't have that, i bought the game last year but never really played it, i didn't seem interested in it compared to the other games i have

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The European English and American English versions were localized from scratch each separately, that much I can confirm.

About the Japanese version, at least a sumo event became something else (a golf minigame) in the common build that was used later to create all the Western localizations. There were other differences. It's a very interesting subject in fact.

NO SAME-SEX FEATURE OF ANY SORT EXISTED IN ANY OF THE VERSIONS OF THIS GAME (beyond creating a Mii with gender set to something and physical features set to something else, something possible in the Mii creation tool in any version/Nintendo games in general).

The jist of the story is: Tomodachi Life (aka Tomodachi Collection in Japanese) is actually the 3DS sequel to a Japan-only DS game (that has a partial fan-translation btw -only missing some song lyrics-, check it out!), where you can also import Miis from your Wii to the DS through wireless connection.
Guess what, the Japanese version of the 3DS game had a feature to import Miis from the Japan-only DS game (said feature is no longer available in the localized builds, obviously, since Nintendo couldn't localize the DS one to begin with -a problem with the Volcanoid software-).

There was a serious bug in the import process. A bug that would generate invalid Mii data with the side-effect of randomly pregnant men, and the game crashing and wiping out the entire save data, recognized as invalid/corrupt data.
Nintendo Japan issued a patch to the DS>3DS import feature as well as other fixes, and a press release mentioning this and using the wording "the bug was causing invalid Mii behavior".

Western gaming "journalism" reported this initial incident back when the game wasn't even considered for localization as "Nintendo's filthy xenophobes patched out same-sex mariages/relationships/Mii...". When it was finally localized, finished, with review copies coming out, someone put out a campaign "Nintendo please add in your next Tomodachi game feature X" and then the shitstorm begun, with every single gaming "journalist" spreading lies and talking about a hypothetical non-existent feature that was censored in non-Japanese versions (even Sterling).
Bill Trinnen made the huge mistake of trying to reach out in a human, empathetic and cool way to that asinine SJW community, saying that nothing was censored, those Japanese screenshots were from people creating a Mii with gender set to something and physical features set to something else, and "you can do this in any version".

That information was interpreted as "if you want to do it, do this" and then it was called "offensive", "not making distinction between gender and orientation", "NOT ENOUGH!" and then a flood of threats and insults altogether to Nintendo Treehouse employees.

When the truth (aka someone actually taking the Japanese and English builds and comparing them by himself) begun to filter out gradually among the manufactured misinformation... They spin it as if a localization job is expected to alter fundamentally and add big gameplay changes to a game and account for every political correctness issue ever... or about how this controversy is necessary so that games become the device to implement social commentary or educate kids specifically and forcibly expose them to some beliefs or world views besides their natural education and upbringing.

And the rest is history.

MarkTheFreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apparently there was a feature(?) when you had a married couple living in a Mii Home, you can see them bath either alone, with their spouse or even with their children. In the international version, it's replaced by a silhouette of one of the Adults showering.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The European English and American English versions were localized from scratch each separately, that much I can confirm.

About the Japanese version, at least a sumo event became something else (a golf minigame) in the common build that was used later to create all the Western localizations. There were other differences. It's a very interesting subject in fact.

NO SAME-SEX FEATURE OF ANY SORT EXISTED IN ANY OF THE VERSIONS OF THIS GAME (beyond creating a Mii with gender set to something and physical features set to something else, something possible in the Mii creation tool in any version/Nintendo games in general).

The jist of the story is: Tomodachi Life (aka Tomodachi Collection in Japanese) is actually the 3DS sequel to a Japan-only DS game (that has a partial fan-translation btw -only missing some song lyrics-, check it out!), where you can also import Miis from your Wii to the DS through wireless connection.
Guess what, the Japanese version of the 3DS game had a feature to import Miis from the Japan-only DS game (said feature is no longer available in the localized builds, obviously, since Nintendo couldn't localize the DS one to begin with -a problem with the Volcanoid software-).

There was a serious bug in the import process. A bug that would generate invalid Mii data with the side-effect of randomly pregnant men, and the game crashing and wiping out the entire save data, recognized as invalid/corrupt data.
Nintendo Japan issued a patch to the DS>3DS import feature as well as other fixes, and a press release mentioning this and using the wording "the bug was causing invalid Mii behavior".

Western gaming "journalism" reported this initial incident back when the game wasn't even considered for localization as "Nintendo's filthy xenophobes patched out same-sex mariages/relationships/Mii...". When it was finally localized, finished, with review copies coming out, someone put out a campaign "Nintendo please add in your next Tomodachi game feature X" and then the shitstorm begun, with every single gaming "journalist" spreading lies and talking about a hypothetical non-existent feature that was censored in non-Japanese versions (even Sterling).
Bill Trinnen made the huge mistake of trying to reach out in a human, empathetic and cool way to that asinine SJW community, saying that nothing was censored, those Japanese screenshots were from people creating a Mii with gender set to something and physical features set to something else, and "you can do this in any version".

That information was interpreted as "if you want to do it, do this" and then it was called "offensive", "not making distinction between gender and orientation", "NOT ENOUGH!" and then a flood of threats and insults altogether to Nintendo Treehouse employees.

When the truth (aka someone actually taking the Japanese and English builds and comparing them by himself) begun to filter out gradually among the manufactured misinformation... They spin it as if a localization job is expected to alter fundamentally and add big gameplay changes to a game and account for every political correctness issue ever... or about how this controversy is necessary so that games become the device to implement social commentary or educate kids specifically and forcibly expose them to some beliefs or world views besides their natural education and upbringing.

And the rest is history.

Wow. It wasn't even that big of a deal. A few people had a reaction to something and for the record most people I remember we're upset it was left out in the first place and not about the bug which was clearly always a bug. No one really cares about a political statement made by games. In fact, typically it's the exclusionary side that has this reaction and acts as though it's political.

It's more about being free to play the way you would like. If you someone chooses to pull their politics from a video game well that would actually explain a lot about the world we live in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol