Hacking Trying to streamline my hacking process (Uber guide)

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I have bootmii in boot2 and the ability to backup and restore, I decided to puts around today and attempt to streamline my process of hacking Wii consoles. Previously, I would use the standard method (bannerbomb) to get HBC on the system, Waninkoko's IOS downgrader to downgrade to Trucha IOSs, install cIOS, then update to 4.0 (waninkoko again) and patch IOS60. This method has worked fine for me and I have modded multiple consoles, but I never really liked the reliance I had to IOS downgrader and so on.

Now that TBR has been released (great work Wiipower!) I figured that this is a great time for an attempt to make the whole process go much smoother. I can now basically stick everything I need on an SD card and mod someone's Wii without any internet access and get it up and running in literally minutes. So, of course I ran tests on my own system since I can restore in case something goes wrong.

While I understand how to use TBR, how to install cIOS, and so on, I found the "Uber soft mod guide" link in one of the threads and it really seems to be a cut and dry simple guide. Something I can keep around should I someday forget what I am doing (hey, I'm getting old here!) So, I followed the guide to exactly and everything *seemed* to work out ok, until I tried to load some WBFS games.

I first tried to load Castlevania Judgement, and got nothing...frozen screen. I have played this game multiple times, so I know it is something with either the guide or something. I also tried Wario Ware: Smooth moves and the game loaded fine. But upon exiting the game to get back to the Wii menu, black screen.

Here is the portion of the guide I followed (omitting the whole bannerbomb/hbc process... that was already done):

9. Run Trucha Bug Restorer.
---9-1. Press B for no IOS reload.
---9-2. Choose downgrade IOS15.
---9-3. It'll do it's thing.
---9-4. Then press a button to exit.

10. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from homebrew channel.
---10-1. Choose IOS15 and press A. (Important)
---10-2. Wait till it says Press 1 then press it.
---10-3. Choose IOS36 menu. In there use these settings:
------10-3-1. Install IOS to slot (249)
------10-3-2. Hash check (trucha) YES
------10-3-3. ES_Identity YES
------10-3-4. Nand Permissions YES
---10-4. Then press A on install patched IOS36, let it do it's thing and exit when it's done.

11. Open wad manager in homebrew channel
---11-1. When it opens choose use IOS249 (it is probably already set to that)
---11-2. Press A to open from SD

12. Now install NEOR6.wad, IOS60.wad, and exit.

13. Open Trucha Bug Restorer from homebrew channel.
---13-1. Choose IOS249 and press A
---13-2. Wait till it says Press 1 then press it
---13-3. Then Choose restore IOS15.
---13-4. Let it do it's thing, exit when done.

14. Open Homebrew Channel and run the CIOSrev13-a installer
---14-1. Choose IOS249 and then WAD install and press A
---14-2. Let it run and when it's done you are done with the guide.

15. You may now wipe your SD Card and start using the Wii, have fun
smile.gif

Well, I didn;t have too much fun when I found games not working
smile.gif
When I started, I restored the original NAND on the Wii (I keep multiple version NAND backups) which was 3.1U...vanilla and unhacked (other than HBC installed). I first used Nintendo's updater to update the machine to 4.1U before starting this entire "Uber" process. Could this have something to do with it? I am basically just trying to understand why games would act this way using this guide. I ended up restoring my "good" v4.1 NAND backup that I hacked using the old methods, and of course the games I had spoken of earlier (as well as all of the other games I have) work just fine.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

FireFreek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure but I hear that if you update using nintendo's installer, you have to later patch or install some IOSs. Not sure if it's true or not, but I just use Waninkoko's updater. Hasn't failed me.

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
FireFreek said:
I'm not sure but I hear that if you update using nintendo's installer, you have to later patch or install some IOSs. Not sure if it's true or not, but I just use Waninkoko's updater. Hasn't failed me.

Yes very true the Trucha Bug is patched if you update through nintendo however if im not mistaken if he followed the uber guide at some point he should downgrade his IOS using WiiPower's Trucha Bug Restorer (Step 9 in the guide posted here http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1178) so i dont think that is the problem.

When following the guide did you get any errors?

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No errors at all. I performed the Nintendo update BEFORE starting anything. I wanted to see if I could start the Uber guide from a vanilla v4.1 firmware. Everything worked from v4.1. Bannerbomb, HBC install, and all of the Uber guide. Everything finished and I tried to load those games from within both Neogamma and USBLoaderCFG which I had on the SD card. I just do not understand why it would give me a problem. Everything *seems* like it would work out correctly.

DO you think that the IOS60 wad has something to do with it?

I am almost tempted to try again but simply leave the system on it's original firmware (3.1U) and see if the games will load ok there. It is just very odd...

FireFreek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djda said:
FireFreek said:

Yes very true the Trucha Bug is patched if you update through nintendo however if im not mistaken if he followed the uber guide at some point he should downgrade his IOS using WiiPower's Trucha Bug Restorer (Step 9 in the guide posted here http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1178) so i dont think that is the problem.

Ah that makes sense now. The IOS you'd need to install i heard enabled you to install pirated VC/Wiiware channels(which use the trucha bug?). But still, I'd update through Waninkoko's updater just incase(you can still use TBR). Who knows it might solve your problem.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireFreek said:
djda said:
FireFreek said:

Ah that makes sense now. The IOS you'd need to install i heard enabled you to install pirated VC/Wiiware channels(which use the trucha bug?). But still, I'd update through Waninkoko's updater just incase(you can still use TBR). Who knows it might solve your problem.

So, by this, what I am lead to believe is that I would still have to rely on Waninkoko's firmware updater regardless.

See, what I was basically looking for is to go to any Wii, (up to v4.1) and use the uber guide to get me up and running 100%. According to the guide, this is supposed to be exactly what is accomplished.

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
No waninkoko's updater is not neccesary however if you dont do it (vanilla 4.1) then there should be some extra steps added.

Try a different cIOS play around with it i dont deal with anything higher than 3.2 so i cant tell you much more.

FireFreek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
FireFreek said:
djda said:
FireFreek said:

So, by this, what I am lead to believe is that I would still have to rely on Waninkoko's firmware updater regardless.

See, what I was basically looking for is to go to any Wii, (up to v4.1) and use the uber guide to get me up and running 100%. According to the guide, this is supposed to be exactly what is accomplished.

Well I assumed that since you were using 3.1U it wouldn't really matter either way if you used wanin's updater or not, my mistake. But still, just to experiment(which you are doing) you should at least try it and see if that's your problem.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it straight up with 3.1U, but no dice...same deal with the games. Tried using Waninkoko's updater after the Uber guide, and still, games either won't load or will load in a semi function (ie: not being able to exit to system menu).

I did run a signcheck on my working 4.1 nand and the "streamlined" test, and saw that the good nand (where everything does work) has 10 or so more IOSs on it. This is apparently the reason.

So, with the old method I used, I used IOS downgrader which apparently not only downgraded existing IOSs, but downloaded and trucha'd others. But why doesn't the 4.1 firmware updater supply these IOSs?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4