Hacking Tutorial to using USB Loader v1.1 and FAQs

Maurice10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually don't have to use -p or that other stuff at all.
I just do "wbfs h list" (h = drive letter) and it works. just like that.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
w1kk3d said:
thx i didnt know i had to use the -p (p for PARAMETER maybe? xD) switch all the time - readme said nothing about it... works fine now...
(i fucked my hdd partition table before by using ./wbfs init /dev/sdb, got it back with gparted
smileipb2.png
)

No problem ^-^

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
First, what's required;
-A Nintendo Wii
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)

Prep:
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

I did eveything but instead of wad install i did network install. The thing proceeded to DL something from the net and installed OK. Am I ok or did I screw up?

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodgod said:
QUOTE said:
First, what's required;
-A Nintendo Wii
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)

Prep:
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

I did eveything but instead of wad install i did network install. The thing proceeded to DL something from the net and installed OK. Am I ok or did I screw up?

That'll be fine, if it doesnt work out, you can reinstall.

Bluee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpongeFreak52 said:
I have a Wiikey2, and I've been able to rip burned discs just fine.

Bluee and guihome, do you have any update blockers turned on? That could be stopping it.

I know it's not a general modchip problem because many people have reported 100% success; it must be a D2Pro problem for whatever reason. Hopefully a new firmware will be released for D2Pro (unlikely), or a new/updated USB loader is created that somehow fixes the issue (more likely).

I don't have anything like an update blocker installed. The most fudging I've done with IOSes and stuff is getting wad manager to work on 3.4E and of course cIOS249rev9 for USB loader.

welshy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Help. I'm getting ERROR! (ret = -1) when installing cIOS36_rev9-installer.dol . Ive installed IOS36-64-v1042.wad through wad manager. I've also deleted IOS249 through AnyTitle deleter. I'm on 3.2e with wiikey installed.

REALDEAL

Trophies
XP
Country
welshy said:
Help. I'm getting ERROR! (ret = -1) when installing cIOS36_rev9-installer.dol . Ive installed IOS36-64-v1042.wad through wad manager. I've also deleted IOS249 through AnyTitle deleter. I'm on 3.2e with wiikey installed.
dont have a hardmod but did u rename to boot dol place this in the the installer folder in the apps folder on your sd card place ios 36 wad on the root of the sd card and then load thru hbc and select wad installation.

welshy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
REALDEAL said:
welshy said:
dont have a hardmod but did u rename to boot dol place this in the the installer folder in the apps folder on your sd card place ios 36 wad on the root of the sd card and then load thru hbc and select wad installation.

Thanks for your reply but getting same result. Please explain exactly what I should have on my SD card. Sorry for being Noob!!

welshy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
got the loader up eventually but now i'm getting (ret = -6) ive tried a 4gb USB stick and a 300gb external hd. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong please??

grakje

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still can't dump games on my Wii. Installed cIOS+cIOS usb, using loader 1.1 and SoftMii v2.1.1. Hangs on 0%. Did already a reinstall of cIOSes. Dumps from my pc are working fine, though.

spliffdizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
utahraptor said:
spliffdizzle said:
Darkzero51521 said:
spliffdizzle said:
I'm having problems installing the cIOS36_rev9. It gives me error ret=-1017 right away. I also tried installing cIOS36_rev8 and had the same issue.

My current setup is as follows:
NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Cyclowiz chip with 3.6 firmware
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer doesn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a sweet one...

The IOS36-64-v1042 file should be:
Size: 1.68 MB (1,772,096 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.69 MB (1,773,568 bytes)

And do not uninstall a ISO file. I still have those IOS's installed as well, but rev 9 is independent of those.

That's a strange issue, though..Google doesn't bring anything up for error -1017.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't uninstalled anything yet. My IOS36 .wad file is the correct size. I've tried googling this also and haven't found much of anything. There's gotta be something installed that's getting in the way though, just don't know what it is.

I'm having the same problems except I am running NTSC Ver. 4.0U, but with a Wiikey v1 with no starfall

I got the answer on the tehskeen forums... use AnyTitleDeleter to uninstall IOS249, then cIOS36_rev9 will install just fine!

st0rax

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I get the ERROR ret = -1. But there is a different message: "Could not retrieve the games list!"
I have copied (add Command; flawlessly) a dumped iso after i formatted the FAT32 with WBFS on a Win32 PC with wthe wbfs_win.exe. Where is the prob and wtfh is a "game list"?!

lastFantacy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is having HBC installed the only requirement for this USB loader? Do we have to have a Wii that can already read back-up disk (i.e., that has already been FULLY soft-modded)?

The reason I am asking is that I just bought a 3.4U with the LU64 starting serial # and am having the black screen problem with Wad Manager (i.e., the problem described in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429)

So I cannot proceed any further after the HBC is installed. Is it OK that I just follow this tutorial directly?

In other words, for a new virgin Wii, all we need is to install HBC before installing the USB loader, Right? No need for to install different wad files from Wad Manager and all that?

Totally newbie and have not too much clue...Many Thanks!

spliffdizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
utahraptor said:
spliffdizzle said:
Darkzero51521 said:
spliffdizzle said:
I'm having problems installing the cIOS36_rev9. It gives me error ret=-1017 right away. I also tried installing cIOS36_rev8 and had the same issue.

My current setup is as follows:
NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Cyclowiz chip with 3.6 firmware
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer doesn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a sweet one...

The IOS36-64-v1042 file should be:
Size: 1.68 MB (1,772,096 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.69 MB (1,773,568 bytes)

And do not uninstall a ISO file. I still have those IOS's installed as well, but rev 9 is independent of those.

That's a strange issue, though..Google doesn't bring anything up for error -1017.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't uninstalled anything yet. My IOS36 .wad file is the correct size. I've tried googling this also and haven't found much of anything. There's gotta be something installed that's getting in the way though, just don't know what it is.

I'm having the same problems except I am running NTSC Ver. 4.0U, but with a Wiikey v1 with no starfall

I got the answer on the tehskeen forums... use AnyTitleDeleter to uninstall IOS249, then cIOS36_rev9 will install just fine!

Angelus3K

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I need some help.

I'm on 3.3E with HBC installed etc

I'm trying to install the new Rev 9 IOS for the USB Loader, I placed IOS36-64-v1042.wad on root of SD and run the cIOS Rev 9 installer, it comes up Patching Custom IOS, Please Wait... then says Extracting content #00... 1 patches applied! content #01... 5 patches applied! then content #14... ERROR! (ret = -1)

Any ideas whats going wrong? I'm not sure what I need to delete with AnyTitleDeleter to start over with it, I guess the IOS249 one and deleted that and tried again but still same thing.

Cheers

spliffdizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried doing a network install instead of .wad install? When the cIOS36_rev9 installer runs, press left or right on the d-pad to change the install type from WAD to Network. Maybe your .wad is corrupted?

Bluee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grakje said:
I still can't dump games on my Wii. Installed cIOS+cIOS usb, using loader 1.1 and SoftMii v2.1.1. Hangs on 0%. Did already a reinstall of cIOSes. Dumps from my pc are working fine, though.

Do you happen to have a modchip, maybe a D2Pro? If you don't, then I don't know what the problem is.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lastFantacy said:
Is having HBC installed the only requirement for this USB loader? Do we have to have a Wii that can already read back-up disk (i.e., that has already been FULLY soft-modded)?

The reason I am asking is that I just bought a 3.4U with the LU64 starting serial # and am having the black screen problem with Wad Manager (i.e., the problem described in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429)

So I cannot proceed any further after the HBC is installed. Is it OK that I just follow this tutorial directly?

In other words, for a new virgin Wii, all we need is to install HBC before installing the USB loader, Right? No need for to install different wad files from Wad Manager and all that?

Totally newbie and have not too much clue...Many Thanks!

You only need HBC..But if you can't use WAD manager, i'm not positive that the Custom IOS installer will work for you? Please let me know how this turns out.

QUOTEI still can't dump games on my Wii. Installed cIOS+cIOS usb, using loader 1.1 and SoftMii v2.1.1. Hangs on 0%. Did already a reinstall of cIOSes. Dumps from my pc are working fine, though.

I have that exact same setup. It's most likely an issue with a modchip. If you don't have a modchip, then try different flash drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 50% closer to getting my teeth fixed +2