The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
the_randomizer said:
I tried that too but to no avail. I'm thinking some stupid power-saving feature is kicking in.

HDD Info

Brand: Western Digital
Model: MyPassport (midnight black)
Size: 500GB
Partition: FAT32, which is the recommended one

This is listed as one of the many compatible HDDs that work with USB loaders

I've tried both v70 and v70-222 versions of CFG but neither can rip an image larger than 494MB. The game should be around 1.4GB.

If after doing all this, and it still doesn't work, then the disc is screwed up. Right now I'm attempting to write to an 8GB SD card to bypass it.
I just looked it up on the compatibility list and you have to take a few extra steps before using it.
QUOTEInstall the drive on a Computer, Update its firmware from WD website, install SmartWare software, on SmartWare Software disable the Hibernation/Power Saving mode (it will be applied directly to the firmware) - Uninstall everything from WD, Backup the driver folder on the drive and remove all other folders from the drive - Partition as required and use

Btw, My TP game (USA) is 1.07GB.

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/c/c3/D'oh.jpg

Okay, I'll do that in a little while

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Sigh* Holy crap on a cracker. This is pissing me off; even after doing all that it still didn't work. It took 10 minutes to rip it, but it's still only 494MB instead of 1.03GB. Right now I'm ripping another game and if that works, it was TP disc's fault. Why does the program say that Waninkoko's cIOS 249 is required when launching it in the HBC? Where can I get that? I've all but given up on trying to rip the bloody game.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you don't need Waninkoko's cIOS if you are using d2x. d2x is a modified version of Waninkoko's cIOS

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryoku83 said:
you don't need Waninkoko's cIOS if you are using d2x. d2x is a modified version of Waninkoko's cIOS

Still doesn't explain why the backup keeps on failing. It sounds like the disc itself is screwed up. However, I'm honestly surprised that Mario Kart Wii managed to get backed up, and that's dual layer DVD. And I turned off the sleep mode with SmartWare, so....I'm lost as to what else can be done, short of getting a new copy. Are 8.4GB games problematic when it comes to backing them up?

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the_randomizer said:
dexter222 said:
When I answered you in the other thread I assumed you'd already installed your cIOS DOH!

I highly recommend d2x v6 249[56] and 250[57]

Looks like those were downloaded via ModMii (in the Wad folder in COPY_TO_SD), so once I use MMM, they will be installed. That might explain why Snes9xGx freaked out on me. It's times like this I feel I don't deserve help from you guys.

UPDATE 10:08 AM - Installed all necessary WADs via MMM and attempting to reinstall Twilight Princess via CFG. It darn well better work this time and not give me a 500MB wfbs file! Do I need to do anything else?

If it doesn't work now I go to my other suggestion and downoad a copy
smile.gif

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dexter222 said:
the_randomizer said:
dexter222 said:
When I answered you in the other thread I assumed you'd already installed your cIOS DOH!

I highly recommend d2x v6 249[56] and 250[57]

Looks like those were downloaded via ModMii (in the Wad folder in COPY_TO_SD), so once I use MMM, they will be installed. That might explain why Snes9xGx freaked out on me. It's times like this I feel I don't deserve help from you guys.

UPDATE 10:08 AM - Installed all necessary WADs via MMM and attempting to reinstall Twilight Princess via CFG. It darn well better work this time and not give me a 500MB wfbs file! Do I need to do anything else?

If it doesn't work now I go to my other suggestion and downoad a copy
smile.gif

A copy? I thought that was "illegal". Can't games be ripped over a network as long as the network is configured to do so?

What I've done so far -

Re-formatted the HDD, turned off sleep mode via SmartWare, used both versions of CFG, re-installed the needed cIOS WADs with ModMii, taking out all gamecube controllers, and even after doing all the crap, nothing. Oddly enough, emulators run perfectly fine off the HDD with no issues whatsoever, and I can save/load/create savestates just fine, so the HDD isn't at fault here.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
the_randomizer said:
An ISO image? I thought that was "illegal". Can't games be ripped over a network as long as the network is configured to do so?

It is illegal of course, but this forum support pirates. Don't bother with ripping games via Network unless you have the patience to wait 2 or 3 years for the game to complete. Use CleanRip instead: http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
the_randomizer said:
An ISO image? I thought that was "illegal". Can't games be ripped over a network as long as the network is configured to do so?

It is illegal of course, but this forum support pirates. Don't bother with ripping games via Network unless you have the patience to wait 2 or 3 years for the game to complete. Use CleanRip instead: http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/

A little hyperbole, don't you think, and no, I won't download an ISO image, so don't worry. I guess I could try CleanRip and hope the HDD won't shut off this time (now that I turned off Sleep Mode). I guess over the network would be a last resort, but if I ever decided to do it, how do you go about ripping it?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
CleanRip uses a clean IOS58 for ripping games to a USB2 drive unlike USB loaders. Oh, it's not hyperbole at all, trust me, I am almost registered for 2 years here now, so I should know
wink.gif

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO it's NOT illegal to back up your own copy. This law is WELL established much to the chagrin of the industry. If your original is messed up enough to have to go out and download a copy... well that is a grey area... but STILL legal
smile.gif
As long as you own the original!

*EDIT*

I feel I have to qualify my answer. I own EVERY Wii game published for north America. I'm a collector. I have over a thousand Wii games ALL NTSC-U and I have all the originals. I started ripping them all from the PC using a special LG drive. It was hit and miss. More recently I found torrent sites and that is much faster. I am not a pirate... I BUY every game I own but sometimes the copies I get from game stop can't be copied. I OWN the original so I have NO problem downloading a copy! If any of you think that's piracy then you are a half a bubble out of plumb.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at the end of my rope; I have tried absolutely everything suggested here and on the IRC channel, everything from formatting, reformatting, installing this cIOS/that cIOS, disabling the sleep mode on the HDD, CleanRip (before turning off sleep mode*), rebooting the Wii, checking the HDD for errors (none were found). Yeah. I'm downright pissed off at this point. I just bloody got a new HDD, so that can't be the issue; it's listed under as being a compatible device. Everything that I use via HBC works fine: Snes9xGx, GenplusGX, Dragon Media Player, WiiMC, VbaGX, FceuGX, etc all load and emulate the ROMs properly. No crashing or locking up whatsoever. Why I can't rip a non-dual layer game is something I may never find out. At this point, I am tempted to download the games I own, BUT I will not since mentioning that is against the rules. Key word: "TEMPTED".

As you can see, I'm very frustrated and disappointed due to the false expectations I had for the Wii game ripping programs. I thought it would be as simple as "load the game, select 'install', wait for the dvd to finish, eject". I guess I was wrong. Unless I can some miraculous last ditch method, I don't know what I'm going to do. This was the primary reason for me getting an external HDD, for the purpose of accessing all my Wii games all in one place. I don't blame the HDD or Western Digital. I blame myself for making such an asinine decision. Perhaps I'm overreacting a bit too much, but, I am disappointed as you can see.

Again, this HDD is listed as being compatible with most, if not all homebrew

Quote from 500GB HDD list ( http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_C...lity_List#500GB )

"Install the drive on a Computer, Update its firmware from WD website, install SmartWare software, on SmartWare Software disable the Hibernation/Power Saving mode (it will be applied directly to the firmware) - Uninstall everything from WD, Backup the driver folder on the drive and remove all other folders from the drive - Partition as required and use - Tested with Wii 4.1E cIOS rev21, Neogamma R8, HBC 1.0.8, USB Loader GX 2.0"

WTF do they mean by "uninstall everything from WD, backup the driver folder on the drive and removal all other folders from the drive"? Are they contradicting their own statement?

HDD Info: Western Digital MyPassport 2.5" USB 2.0 HDD 500GB Midnight Black, listed as compatible.

I got this yesterday. It can't be the HDD's fault. Either my Wii DVD ROM drive is wearing out or something got jacked up in the Wii's firmware.

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How old is your Wii?
Have you ever cleaned the lens of the Wii?
It helped me before. Nintendo has cleaning kits available.

After cleaning the lens use CFG-70 with cIOS 249 d2x6 to rip the game to a FAT32 formatted USB drive.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any lens cleaner, I use CFG-70 and have cIOS 249 d2x6 and a FAT32 USB HDD.
The model is WDBACY5000ABK-EESN. I got the Wii back in 2007, so it may be getting very worn out. I'm very pissed off at the whole situation.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm assuming somebody suggested this to you already, so it's probably worthless but I'll suggest it anyway. You do have the drive plugged into the correct USB slot, right? It only works in the one closest to the edge.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you can't rip a disc to your HDD, then rip the disc to your SD card. CleanRip allows you to rip games in chunks to an SD card. If you got all chunks together, you can copy them to your pc and merge them with cmd: copy /b chunk1.iso chunk2.iso game.iso. You have then a clean and fully working ISO that you can install with USB loader PC applications/ISO managers to your HDD.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
I'm assuming somebody suggested this to you already, so it's probably worthless but I'll suggest it anyway. You do have the drive plugged into the correct USB slot, right? It only works in the one closest to the edge.

Yep. I use the USB 2.0 slot that's closest to the edge (the one on the left, if the Wii's disc drive was facing you straight on), as I can load all GX emulators and ROMs without a hitch.

QUOTE(WiiBricker @ Jul 25 2011, 01:35 AM) If you can't rip a disc to your HDD, then rip the disc to your SD card. CleanRip allows you to rip games in chunks to an SD card. If you got all chunks together, you can copy them to your pc and merge them with cmd: copy /b chunk1.iso chunk2.iso game.iso. You have then a clean and fully working ISO that you can install with USB loader PC applications/ISO managers to your HDD.

I know you can rip to SD via CleanRip but it is incredibly slow, but whether it's slower than doing it over the network, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, this is indeed a mysterious issue. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try CleanRip once more, now that I don't have to worry about the HDD's sleep mode kicking in (thank goodness for SmartWare). Is it true you're supposed to plug the HDD and DVD AFTER it prompts you to do so, for every game you rip?

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the_randomizer said:
I don't have any lens cleaner, I use CFG-70 and have cIOS 249 d2x6 and a FAT32 USB HDD.
The model is WDBACY5000ABK-EESN. I got the Wii back in 2007, so it may be getting very worn out. I'm very pissed off at the whole situation.

Hmmm, that's a USB 3.0 drive. I read somewhere else somebody had troubles with a Samsung USB 3.0 drive, but also others that didn't.

Please try the lens cleaner. I did it in the past (also a 2007 model) because some games would not run properly or hang during gameplay.
It came out really dirty and after that I could play all games without any troubles.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digdug3 said:
the_randomizer said:

Hmmm, that's a USB 3.0 drive. I read somewhere else somebody had troubles with a Samsung USB 3.0 drive, but also others that didn't.

Please try the lens cleaner. I did it in the past (also a 2007 model) because some games would not run properly or hang during gameplay.
It came out really dirty and after that I could play all games without any troubles.

I was told that this drive, despite being USB 3.0 shouldn't have issues running on USB 2.0, as this drive is listed under the compatible drives. Where can I get a lens cleaner for the Wii? I don't have a Samsung, but Western Digital, which I trust more than most other brands. So, you can see why I'm po'd right now.

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the_randomizer said:
digdug3 said:
the_randomizer said:

I was told that this drive, despite being USB 3.0 shouldn't have issues running on USB 2.0, as this drive is listed under the compatible drives. Where can I get a lens cleaner for the Wii? I don't have a Samsung, but Western Digital, which I trust more than most other brands.

I agree with you on the Samsung thing. WD's are, in my experience, better. And USB 3.0 should be downwards compatible with USB 2.0.

I bought my lens cleaner at the same shop I bought my Wii. Any decent game shop should have it.
Or look here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Cleaning-Ki...o/dp/B001GZT1UI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right... +1