Hacking Question TX hate, what's up with that?

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
So... why do I sense a lot of hate on TX?
1. Most of it is trolling from 4-6 people. Once blocked (click on their username and choose Ignore) threads become far more civil to read.

2. TX have used open source software, modified it and sold it. In the commercial world, this would result in the injured party suing TX. There is 0% chance of this happening in the CFW world, so RagePosting is all that is available to express displeasure at this practice.

3. Direct XCI loading will likely never come to open source CFWs. Mountains of circular arguments about reasons why this does/doesn't matter ensue.

This explains why even polite TX questions and attempts at discussion very rapidly degenerate into trolling and flame wars.

D

Deleted User

1. Most of it is trolling from 4-6 people. Once blocked (click on their username and choose Ignore) threads become far more civil to read.

2. TX have used open source software, modified it and sold it. In the commercial world, this would result in the injured party suing TX. There is 0% chance of this happening in the CFW world, so RagePosting is all that is available to express displeasure at this practice.

3. Direct XCI loading will likely never come to open source CFWs. Mountains of circular arguments about reasons why this does/doesn't matter ensue.

This explains why even polite TX questions and attempts at discussion very rapidly degenerate into trolling and flame wars.
You can literally use xcis on atmosphere now.. sxos doesn't have alot of unique things left anymore~

Also can't potentially activate a license anymore seeing as their servers may have been killed off

Last edited by ,

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can literally use xcis on atmosphere now.. sxos doesn't have alot of unique things left anymore~

Also can't potentially activate a license anymore seeing as their servers may have been killed off

is there a guide on temp on how to launch xci on atmos? i havent seen anything

Reactions: gizmomelb

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The reason Is bc they stole a lot of code from free FW, people complain for that also, they think that Is not fair to Pay money from a cfw, in my opinion atmosphere Is better than sx but muy Gámes are on xci and i use emunand, i still nota banned..., So that Is why i use it

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
You can literally use xcis on atmosphere now..
My understanding is that you can INSTALL XCIs on sigpatched Atmosphere and use them that way (==converting them to NSP), but you cannot directly MOUNT them as you can with SX-OS.
ie With SX-OS you can fill multiple hard disks with XCIs, plug the hard disks into any SX switch and immediately access all of them. This is not currently possible with FOSS CFW, even with the most recent TinFoil 1.53 release.

I would be happy to be corrected if I am wrong as indeed that would likely make SX-OS irrelevant.
Definitely a very valid point right at the moment.

Last edited by SXAintSoBad,

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be long before usb loading will be available for free. The scene moves that quick.

XCI usb loading will not happen on Atmos. Ever. Free or paid. It's a pure piracy tool which the Atmos devs are strictly against. Also, you forgot Emunand. Which might happen on Atmos when SciresM 'feels like it'.

Edit: And no, NSP's are not the same as XCI's when talking piracy. NSP's serve other purposes. Devs utilize them as homebrew launchers etc.

Last edited by stephrk398,

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'know? This whole conversation made me think. Just bear with me here. I am definitely not trying to Agitate the TX loyalists nor ruffle the feathers of the atmosphere /free CFW fan base.
But sometimes it helps to step back for a moment and look at the big picture.
On one side you have a group of developers who, from many reports has decided to steal code from free firmware and sell it for profit without giving the original owner any of the credit or recognition.
While on the other side you have developers still actively engaged in developing their free firmware.
Make no mistake about it, if I were the developer from whom this code was stolen I would be quite angry and with good reason.
But has it ever occurred to anyone how really they are both engaged in activities that are borderline illegal and at the very least, promotes piracy to some extent? I will admit that one side does it more blatantly but does that make the other side any better?
If you go back in time to the early days of the internet, it didn't take developers /pirates very long to create the first emulator and figure out how to dump those Atari VCS carts and NES carts to a digital file that could readily be shared on the web. Of course they had an original and great cover story that even today is still used. The excuse was "well we are only doing this to preserve these great old games for future generations and to reduce the amount of wear on the original carts and systems"
Of course now every console generation all the way to the switch has their media format dumped to digital files and the same great cover story is still being used.
At some point in time comic book pirates decided it would be a great idea to preserve them in digital form as well and of course we can't leave out video and computer/smart phone software. All of these under the same excuse of preservation.
But when you cut out all of the excuses it's all about piracy. With the exception of a tiny minority of people who actually do own the original copies and just want to preserve them.
What do you think?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "moral" difference is that homebrewers are working together to screw with game corporations for the sake of themselves and consumers. TX regularly screws with homebrewers and consumers alike to make a profit. Neither are really good guys but only one is on *your* side.

Reactions: Philliyxx
D

Deleted User

that is INSTALLING XCI to SD / NAND, not launching and running them direct from USB with no installation.

the two are very different things.
not that different, sxos is having less exclusive features by the day~

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
But is there any real proofs they stole code?
On 7.x they seem to get rid of sept when everybody was expecting they couldn't...
So there is a chance they use their own code, or am I wrong?

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
not that different, sxos is having less exclusive features by the day~

and when the other CFW finally catch up to those features and THEN start to offer something new, that would be a reason I'd switch.

until then however SX OS still provides all the features I want.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But is there any real proofs they stole code?
On 7.x they seem to get rid of sept when everybody was expecting they couldn't...
So there is a chance they use their own code, or am I wrong?

In the world of programming, it's a lot easier to steal/plagiarize code and pass it off as your own. Why bother making your own code?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They use code from open-source projects, without following the licensing conditions/crediting its original authors, effectively stealing the code.
They have done extremely shady things, including starting a paid piracy subscription service.
There's a lot more shady stuff they have done, but I don't have the patience to get into that.
It's not all bad though. No one's forcing you to use their shady piracy service, and as far as SX OS goes they have done more good than bad IMO. Their tools are better than the homebrew ones in features, UI and ease of use. They take open source projects and actually improve on them.
Can't really blame them for not wanting to open source their improvements since it's what's making them money. You are still free to blame them for not following the license.

But try to see it from their perspective, if they had to open source their changes they would have never made SX OS to begin with because there'd be no money in it.
So no one is worse off by it existing, those that are willing to pay a little for the extra features (if they want them) are better off, and for everyone else it's the same as if it didn't exist.

Now I will agree that it would be much better if they got off their lazy asses and actually did their own work instead of copying someone else's. At least Gateway did all their own work even if many times it was inferior to what was available with homebrew. Early on they actually offered something you couldn't get anywhere else and it was only thanks to people reverse engineering GW's code that we eventually got free options in the form of Pasta CFW and rxTools, which was later followed by other CFW. Which is not much different than what TX is doing only in reverse. If SX OS really is made by the same people as Gateway then I guess the homebrew scene got what it deserved in a way.

All that being said I don't really care about the team, who they are or what they do as long as they deliver a good product that's worth paying for. And as of right now, I think they do. I won't hesitate to jump ship and move to homebrew alternatives as soon as they catch up. EmuNAND is the big feature I'm waiting for.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs