UK's Digital Economy Bill

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fu**ing outrageous! >=[ Will those VPN things be able to stop the ISP from seeing your internet activity? You know the stuff that encrypts your internet connection?

Oh and "The Bill passed 189 for to 47 against. Oh, and 419 MPs didn’t even show up."

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
tajio said:
This is fu**ing outrageous! >=[ Will those VPN things be able to stop the ISP from seeing your internet activity? You know the stuff that encrypts your internet connection?

Oh and "The Bill passed 189 for to 47 against. Oh, and 419 MPs didn’t even show up."

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In France they tried to make the same law, and voted it late at night without saying they will.

The law said Internet will be disconnected for 1 year, and user must continue to pay for it, and he can't subscribe another provider.

The law passed, but the administration council with more power than law voters rejected that law, saying it's against liberty.
There are still good people...

But the Parliament presented the same law again and again many times, changing little stuffs, until it finally passed
frown.gif

We are still waiting for the law to be used against someone, it's not possible right now.

I didn't think another European country will try the same law, as it appeared useless here.
but who care, they are happy and think they made something good for their society.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Cyan said:
In France they tried to make the same law, and voted it late at night without saying they will.

The law said Internet will be disconnected for 1 year, and user must continue to pay for it, and he can't subscribe another provider.

The law passed, but the administration council with more power than law voters rejected that law, saying it's against liberty.

But the Parliament presented the same law again and again many times, changing little stuffs, until it finally passed
frown.gif

We are still waiting for the law to be used against someone, it's not possible right now.

I didn't think another European country will try the same law, as it appeared useless here.
but who care, they are happy and think they made something good for their society.
well I'm hoping that the house of lords (similar to your superiors) will reject it, or that the public outrage will turn it into an election issue (general election being on 6th may).

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Cyan said:

frown.gif

I hope Ireland doesn't get it, it'll hurt to pay while other people are pirating.

Megacherv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh balls on a stick, that's great. I don't really pirate much anymore, but my stepdad is constantly downloading music, and I don't want to be cut-off halfway through a TF2 match because he can't see that music is epically cheap on Amazon MP3...

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cyan said:

frown.gif

And all this law based on a poor proof. IP adresses.
tongue.gif

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
i can see alot of people learning how to take advantage of people who do not know how to protect the wifi and getting taken advantage of

i can see the headline now
"elderly couple told to stop downloading movies, they claim they only use net for talking to family over sea's"

Why dont MP's have sence

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pong20302000 said:
i can see alot of people learning how to take advantage of people who do not know how to protect the wifi and getting taken advantage of

i can see the headline now
"elderly couple told to stop downloading movies, they claim they only use net for talking to family over sea's"

Why dont MP's have sence
why not ring up your MP and express your opinion?
http://confirm.38degrees.org.uk/DEB/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Antoligy said:
Cyan said:
well I'm hoping that the house of lords (similar to your superiors) will reject it, or that the public outrage will turn it into an election issue (general election being on 6th may).
in fact, I don't know the real words in english, I understand when I read an english law text, but I'm not good enough to write one
tongue.gif

it's more "elder council" which decide if a law is against liberty.
They decided that the administration don't have authority to cut internet to people as it's a fundamental Right to have access to Internet for liberty of knowledge, and it's only a judge who can take that decision. So they rejected all the part concerning the creation of a spy/sanction administration to find pirates by a private group, and they returned to the old system where only the court can judge because the culprit must benefit the "not guilty until proven" (presomption d'innoncence).

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
HunterJ said:
IM SCREWED!!! better turn my block IP and stuff oN >_< ok anti piracy tracking programs turned on...NOW
phew im safe for a while
you really think that anti-piracy organistations are going to use their assigned IPs?
its just unnecessary bloatware.

unrelated: 2000th post

flobo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As said, it's been voted in france for a while and it's not in fonction yet.
Every few month, they say it'll start soon, but in the end, it never does since they don't have a clue about how they could make it work. (The minister, while presenting the bill told the assembly "If people don't want their children to donwload, they should install a free firewall like openoffice". This much show how they understand technology. The next idea was to have a "white list" of accessible site, but when they realised it was the same as china's system, they backed of too.

And even if it were to to adopted, everyone would simply use a SSL encrypted tunnel and that would be it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk