Understading ancient GBA flash cartridges

ultraforce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well at least they haven’t corroded all over. It’s a bit late and I don’t know if I have a multimeter and definitely don’t have the other tools to fix it atm other then the soldering iron

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: BuddhaHunterMac

Janni9009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a way to tell if either of these is the M3 Perfect or if neither of them are?
Open them and check for 32MiB/256Mbit of DRAM/PSRAM.
Or process a retail game through M3 Game Manager and try to run it (Pro can only run multiboots/256kb, Perfect can run most if not nearly all retail games)
Firmware and M3GM can be found here: http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ under the "M3 Perfect v31-v36" category. The prefix depends on the cart language, e* is english (and only goes up to v35. can still use M3GM-v36 with it). Most of these *cannot* be language-changed, only aware of the CF version being able to do so first-hand.

Also when soldering new batteries to these, please be careful. First of all, if the cart uses an ML (rechargeable) instead of CR cell (only aware of the lite doing this, but just in case), you *must* replace it with an ML (not VL, higher voltage!), or protect the battery from being charged. And secondly, use good tools, no direct-to-wall irons (not talking about portables like the pinecil, but those that go straight to an outlet with a regular AC cord) or gas irons, both of which are gonna scorch the fine pads and pull surrounding components off.
I recently found an old 3in1 flash slot for the DS and I assume GBA but gonna have to retest it tho.
For the EZ3in1 NORFlash works on GBA, but still need to flash it from a DS (Wood and YSMenu have native support for this cart, otherwise use GBAExpLoader). And of course the lite version won't fit a GBA (the phat version being exceedingly rare these days)
Main thing that breaks on these is the SRAM. Use this to test it: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/3in1_SRAM_Test and if it gives an error *after* reboot, you need a new battery. If it errors *before* reboot, you likely need to reflow and pray it works (sometimes this can still be battery related... sure isn't in my EZ5C10's case though)

Last edited by Janni9009,
Reactions: 4d1xlaan

ultraforce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Open them and check for 32MiB/256Mbit of DRAM/PSRAM.
Or process a retail game through M3 Game Manager and try to run it (Pro can only run multiboots/256kb, Perfect can run most if not nearly all retail games)
Firmware and M3GM can be found here: http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ under the "M3 Perfect v31-v36" category. The prefix depends on the cart language, e* is english (and only goes up to v35. can still use M3GM-v36 with it). Most of these *cannot* be language-changed, only aware of the CF version being able to do so first-hand.
1715945928200.jpeg

1715946066933.jpeg

Which part do I check for the RAM?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
View attachment 437651
Is there a way to tell if either of these is the M3 Perfect or if neither of them are?
The branding confuses me, but the bottom one appears to be the M3 Perfect SD Lite. It should be good, I think.
The top one I have no idea. Google suggests it might be some version of a M3 Pro but I can't find a definite confirmation of that.
Confusingly, there is also a M3 Lite Perfect, which is a newer and entirely different cart only compatible with the DS Lite.
M3's branding and product naming is confusing, they had too many models, and information is hard to find nowadays, I'm actually unsure which models are good and which ones are not.
The only information on the top one I could find is this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-m3-gba-flash-card-is-this.353463/
Which suggests it could have either 4MB RAM (which would be bad for GBA) or 32MB (which would be good) and the only way to know is to open it up and look at the chips.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

ultraforce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The branding confuses me, but the bottom one appears to be the M3 Perfect SD Lite. It should be good, I think.
The top one I have no idea. Google suggests it might be some version of a M3 Pro but I can't find a definite confirmation of that.
Confusingly, there is also a M3 Lite Perfect, which is a newer and entirely different cart only compatible with the DS Lite.
M3's branding and product naming is confusing, they had too many models, and information is hard to find nowadays, I'm actually unsure which models are good and which ones are not.
The only information on the top one I could find is this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-m3-gba-flash-card-is-this.353463/
Which suggests it could have either 4MB RAM (which would be bad for GBA) or 32MB (which would be good) and the only way to know is to open it up and look at the chips.
Both of the most recent photos were of the same card just on both sides of the pcb. The top loading SD card m3 didn’t just slide out so I left it.

ultraforce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those BGA chips on the left of the lower image. That's definitely a perfect.
Okay so in all likelihood a new battery and updating the firmware will make it a great choice for backing up my old GBA games without shelling out for the ez-flash omega de?

Edit: actually given my experience or lack there of with soldering these small things probably would rather just spend the extra money.
Post automatically merged:

1715982148761.png
1715982166731.png

Here's the images of the toploading one better laid out.

Last edited by ultraforce,

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

4d1xlaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it might be cool if someone figured out how to patch ds games for slot 2 and added compatibility for newer games for the old cards. it's kinda pointless but being able to play games from a slot 2 card is cool from a historical point of view.

anyone remember that old ds homebrew zelda game that only worked from slot 2? good times

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Lmao +1