Undertale's Anniversary and Its Impact

0001440173_100.png

Remember your Gbatemp 2015 Game of The Year everyone? It just turned 1 year old today!

Ah Undertale. Easily one of the biggest shocks to grace everyone's gaming pallet of last year. It dared to do some things simply, differently, and exponentially. Undertale just had this magnetic draw to it with everything that it did in writing and character creation that had us all latching on to it when it released.

And who could really blame you for doing so? A game that gave you the option to kill everyone or not a single entity. A game with a Dog Knight that stretched all over the screen and had one of the most memorizing songs I've ever heard in gaming. A game with two brothers that aren't Mario and Luigi but made themselves just as iconic through silly puns and bone-dry humor. (I'm so sorry, how could you not make that joke?)

809583-undertale-windows-screenshot-finding-a-save-point-fills-you.png

Undertale was truly special for a number of reasons, but I think the word that truly describes what made it phenomenal is what I've echoed so many times already in this writing. Simplicity.

Undertale dared to show us that simplicity at its finest can make a game fantastic. Undertale was by no means graphically intensive and it was obviously inspired by so many other games to make it what it turned out to be. But what it turned out to be was a rock-solid story driven experience that played with your emotions, played at your humor, played with your mind and made you question every decision.

809593-undertale-windows-screenshot-you-ll-meet-all-sorts-of-colorful.png

The impact Undertale had last year made a small little indie title a colossal titan in name. Every gaming outlet had it on its GOTY battles or were writing pieces on it. The Undertale fandom took the game and ran with it as far as they could, much to the ire of the rest of the internet. Even within our own community there was a clear divide between the ones that made the game their everything and those that couldn't handle the intensity of the fandom.

Despite what you might think of it, many of us today stand by the greatness of Undertale and what it delivered. You can read our official review here, see our heated Game of The Year discussion here, and find the official steam page for the game here.

Undertale pushed boundaries and became a big name for itself by doing what games are supposed to do better than what newer games were doing around it.

Entertain you.

809576-undertale-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

And that's why we celebrate its release a whole year later, and celebrate the power of the indie community. Because in the end, we all just want experiences we can enjoy. And boy do we enjoy Undertale.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tasted crap once I was a child, a small amount of it, only like a splinter was there and I can tell you it was.......different.

Anyways on topic of fan base, yes you can definitely avoid it, like I avoid mlp which I loathe BTW, but when undertale was popular I saw nothing but undertale in my Deviant Artist home page. as well as youtube recs just cause I watched the game play for once.
Even now on doom soundtrack I read some comments saying "Who listens violent soundtrack liek dis?" And naysaying doom soundtrack. Well imo undertale soundtrack might be better but what Mick Gordon did was also awesome.

Tl;Dr
Undertale fans want to shove undertale on to you.

Do not use the word Determination, skeletons, spiders etc spaghetti etc
Fans shoving it at you doesn't mean you should avoid the game/show, but the fans. The game or show may be perfectly fine if you disregard the crappy parts of the fandoms.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

kirokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a small issue with your assessment. Let me quote a piece of dialogue with a certain Internet celebrity...

There are certain situations in which you need to try something to have an educated opinion. You'll never know if you like a certain dish until you try it. In others, you know right off the bat that you won't like something as it bears all the qualities of something you wouldn't like. You don't have to take a bite out of a piece of crap to know it doesn't taste good - you can already smell it and you know it's crap.

Cool, you made an observation based on smell and sight... what's your point?

I saw your first post in here, and though it's brief, I got a glimpse of why you don't like it,
I'm not talking about people like you who have expressed their dislike of certain things within your own reasons, I am simply making an argument against those who solely based it on someone else's opinion/expressions.

Last edited by kirokun,

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes. The game that made me lose faith in the game I was making. The idea of making a living by developing video games. Sigh.........well, since I don't know if I'll ever return to that project, I might as well reveal it's inferior story:

From the start, we are introduced to Adrian, an orphan villager living with his sister Adalind in a remote forest. After Dad died some years back, things have been rough, especially with the Elder giving them a hard time. Adrian begins having odd nightmares that lead to him muttering in his sleep, and the Elder uses this as an excuse to exile the poor boy. Adalind stays with him, and they eventually find a huge kingdom, with people who don't judge you for being half fox. (Oh yeah, did I mention humans are virtually extinct in this game?)

Adrian's nightmares worsen, so a local priest suggests praying at a nearby temple. Desperate for a good night's sleep, he does so, and finds himself blessed by the ancient Goddess of Emotion herself, gaining the ability to see into the hearts of those around him. His nightmares are revealed to be an omen that dates back to his past life. The Undying One's seal is in danger of being broken, and only the power of the gods of old can protect it, but only if a certain mortal soul is used as a catalyst. The same soul that was used to create the seal to begin with. Adrian's soul. The Goddess of Emotion's power is already within him, so now he has to go out and gather blessings from the other gods. Oddly enough, Adalind doesn't doubt a single bit of it, and tags along.

Throughout the adventure, Adrian learns more and more about the ancient past. In the beginning, there were humans and animals. But humans began experimenting with the animals, turning them into sentient species. Over time, the animals evolved to have human like features, to the point where one human couldn't help falling in love with a fox. They had a baby together, but human authorities killed the human's wife and child. Swearing revenge, he threatened the Goddess of Life to grant him immortality, and waged war on his own kind. Most humans were killed, but one managed to actually fight him hand-to-hand. He lost, but his dying soul was used to create a seal to trap the human forever, now dubbed the Undying One by the gods of old.

After receiving the blessings, Adrian approaches the Undying One's seal, only for Adalind to confess that she wasn't really his sister. She was the Undying One's wife reincarnated, she was the one who poisoned Dad, and it was her who was threatening the seal all this time. And all she needed to bring back her lover was the soul that sealed him, blessed by the gods of old. Adrian kills her before she could do much of anything, but apparently, that was also part of her plan. By tainting his own soul, Adrian essentially released the Undying One, who had spent the last thousand years realizing that if he killed Adrian now, he'd become a god in his own right. Adrian emerges victorious, but finds out that the Undying One had been possessed by a demon all along. Adrian sacrifices himself to send the demon back to Hell, but realizes he only lost his blessings that he still had. The Undying One, having finally been freed, gives up his immortality to bring Adalind back to life, and tells her to live her life without him before wiping her memory of her past life. Before dying, the Undying One reveals that his child never died, and seeing how Adrian is a fox with human genealogy, it's very much likely they are related. If this was the case, then Adrian is, by extension, descended from the most noble bloodline in history. The game ends with Adrian being a member of a royal court, with an eye to the throne.

And now, I wait for people to express their annoyance at my needlessly long and pointless post.

Reactions: Deleted User

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
Ah yes. The game that made me lose faith in the game I was making. The idea of making a living by developing video games. Sigh.........well, since I don't know if I'll ever return to that project, I might as well reveal it's inferior story:

From the start, we are introduced to Adrian, an orphan villager living with his sister Adalind in a remote forest. After Dad died some years back, things have been rough, especially with the Elder giving them a hard time. Adrian begins having odd nightmares that lead to him muttering in his sleep, and the Elder uses this as an excuse to exile the poor boy. Adalind stays with him, and they eventually find a huge kingdom, with people who don't judge you for being half fox. (Oh yeah, did I mention humans are virtually extinct in this game?)

Adrian's nightmares worsen, so a local priest suggests praying at a nearby temple. Desperate for a good night's sleep, he does so, and finds himself blessed by the ancient Goddess of Emotion herself, gaining the ability to see into the hearts of those around him. His nightmares are revealed to be an omen that dates back to his past life. The Undying One's seal is in danger of being broken, and only the power of the gods of old can protect it, but only if a certain mortal soul is used as a catalyst. The same soul that was used to create the seal to begin with. Adrian's soul. The Goddess of Emotion's power is already within him, so now he has to go out and gather blessings from the other gods. Oddly enough, Adalind doesn't doubt a single bit of it, and tags along.

Throughout the adventure, Adrian learns more and more about the ancient past. In the beginning, there were humans and animals. But humans began experimenting with the animals, turning them into sentient species. Over time, the animals evolved to have human like features, to the point where one human couldn't help falling in love with a fox. They had a baby together, but human authorities killed the human's wife and child. Swearing revenge, he threatened the Goddess of Life to grant him immortality, and waged war on his own kind. Most humans were killed, but one managed to actually fight him hand-to-hand. He lost, but his dying soul was used to create a seal to trap the human forever, now dubbed the Undying One by the gods of old.

After receiving the blessings, Adrian approaches the Undying One's seal, only for Adalind to confess that she wasn't really his sister. She was the Undying One's wife reincarnated, she was the one who poisoned Dad, and it was her who was threatening the seal all this time. And all she needed to bring back her lover was the soul that sealed him, blessed by the gods of old. Adrian kills her before she could do much of anything, but apparently, that was also part of her plan. By tainting his own soul, Adrian essentially released the Undying One, who had spent the last thousand years realizing that if he killed Adrian now, he'd become a god in his own right. Adrian emerges victorious, but finds out that the Undying One had been possessed by a demon all along. Adrian sacrifices himself to send the demon back to Hell, but realizes he only lost his blessings that he still had. The Undying One, having finally been freed, gives up his immortality to bring Adalind back to life, and tells her to live her life without him before wiping her memory of her past life. Before dying, the Undying One reveals that his child never died, and seeing how Adrian is a fox with human genealogy, it's very much likely they are related. If this was the case, then Adrian is, by extension, descended from the most noble bloodline in history. The game ends with Adrian being a member of a royal court, with an eye to the throne.

And now, I wait for people to express their annoyance at my needlessly long and pointless post.

Why did it made you lose faith? If one good game exists that does not mean another one cannot! Even if, although I haven't seen one so, a crazy fan says that after undertale no good game can come it won't be true afternoon ignore all backlash.

Most importantly you should have fun making your game, it won't be fun for no one but it would be fun for you right?

@CeeDee
I never said I hated undertale nor avoided it, I was just annoyed of the constant shoving.

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did it made you lose faith? If one good game exists that does not mean another one cannot! Even if, although I haven't seen one so, a crazy fan says that after undertale no good game can come it won't be true afternoon ignore all backlash.

Most importantly you should have fun making your game, it won't be fun for no one but it would be fun for you right?
That's why I never deleted my files. I know I'll go back to my project, I just don't know when. I mean, I still have an Undertale fanfic to write.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The reason why it's barely a video game is that it doesn't explain its own rules to the player. It gives you a basic run-down, sure, but most of the mechanics have to be "discovered" by the player, except the game doesn't give you clues, it just kinda assumes that you'll do the guesswork and figure out how to play the damn thing. It's like giving someone a football, telling them that we're going to play football now and straight up bashing into them like a steam train. "Choo choo, motherf*cker, you better learn how to "play the game" real quick, because I'm beating you pretty badly!" - that's not a game, that's just taking advantage of someone who doesn't know the rules. It's mostly trial and error, so it's hardly the gaming masterpiece everybody touts ot to be.
I might say I hadn't the least interest in that game but you're doing a good job selling it to me.

One thing that really makes today games annoying is how they treat you like a retard, overexplain mechanics and don't let you discover them on your own.

The annoying eternity of hand holding and modern in game tutorials.

If a game doesn't do that, then it begins to look interesting.

PS: Nah, anyway I still don't give a fuck about that game.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
It's true that a big part of the fandom destroyed a lot of hopes and dreams, but there's also the other side of the fandom, which expand the story to multiple timelines and universes.
For example, there's a web comic about an alternate universe (AU for short) called Underfell, which change the roles of the monsters from defensive and friendly to offensive and evil (just like a typical RPG game).
There's a great variety of "What-if" comics and animations, and even fan-made battles running on a custom engine called Unitale.
So long story short, there are the ups and downs of the undertale fandom, and even so many people only look at the bad side of it.

Last edited by RedoLane,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I want to play it, but haven't bought it yet. Too much money, considering that I have a lot of other games to play.
If I find it on a sale, or would be gifted it, I'd play it in a heartbeat!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never played it, nor even look at it.
Is it available on PS4 or only PC? (I don't like gaming on PC).
I already have too many games I bought but never played ;___;

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess, personal preference?
I use the PC for tools (development, sound, picture, media, internet, etc.) and consoles for games.
I like keeping my PC screen ON to see all my opened programs doing their things. playing a game would hide them, and I would have to close them to free RAM and shutdown dual monitor before playing (yes some games are affected) and re-affect icon/prog positions, which I don't want (I used dualmon in the past to restore positions, I should reinstall it). My previous computer had only 2GB of RAM, and 3GB was always required (so swap file was already used, I couldn't launch any games without closing my workstation). I got used to not play on PC.

I like the fact consoles don't need any settings, the games are just working, and don't have to mess with PC's specs, ports, firewall, background tools popping inside the game closing or freezing your gaming experience, and wonder if it's powerful enough, if resolution will affect my tools windows position and size, monitor location, etc.
I don't want it to overheat either (in case of resourceful games), my computer is my main tool and I don't want to risk it. (yeah, I could play little games like undertale, but I just got used to play on consoles), and don't want it to crash (it happened in the past, bluescreen while playing etc., losing my work in progress in other tools).
so for me it's like that.
gaming = console
working = PC

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess, personal preference?
I use the PC for tools (development, sound, picture, media, internet, etc.) and consoles for games.
I like keeping my PC screen ON to see all my opened programs doing their things. playing a game would hide them, and I would have to close them to free RAM and shutdown dual monitor before playing (yes some games are affected) and re-affect icon/prog positions, which I don't want (I used dualmon in the past, I should reinstall it). My previous computer had only 2GB or RAM, and 3GB was always required (so swap file was already used, I couldn't launch any games without closing my workstation). I got used to not play on PC.

I like the fact consoles don't need any settings, the games are just working, and don't have to mess with PC's specs and wonder if it's powerful enough, if resolution will affect my tools windows position and size, monitor location, etc.
I don't want it to overheat either (in case of resourceful games), my computer is my main tool and I don't want to risk it. (yeah, I could play little games like undertale, but I just got used to play on consoles), and don't want it to crash (it happened in the past, bluescreen while playing etc., losing my work in progress in other tools).
so for me it's like that.
gaming = console
working = PC

Same here I gave up on PC long time ago, got tired of the constant urge to have the fastest machine possible.
It took me a fair amount of money in the process, yes still no Nintendo games....
This SHOULD be called game of the year for linux an PC.
It is not even on major consoles.
I did not care in the first place.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I might say I hadn't the least interest in that game but you're doing a good job selling it to me.

One thing that really makes today games annoying is how they treat you like a retard, overexplain mechanics and don't let you discover them on your own.

The annoying eternity of hand holding and modern in game tutorials.

If a game doesn't do that, then it begins to look interesting.

PS: Nah, anyway I still don't give a fuck about that game.
I agree on this ( without ever playing undertale )
You really should play FAR CRY BLOOD DRAGON.
It mocks these tutorials to the extreme LOL! 80's style.
I laughed my pants off!
Hidden tuts are the secret sauce of Nintendo games I think....

Last edited by Hielkenator,

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't understand why everyone exploded over undertale. When it first came out if was like everyone either thought it was the game from God, or the worst piece of crap to have ever been realized.

Personally I think it's an alright game. I won't be finishing my first play through of it though since it just wasn't good enough for me to go back to. I like the style, the gameplay just wasn't satisfying. The story was there, but frankly didn't do anything that made me want to keep playing. The wonder of playing something new wore off the second I realized that the only thing that was actually "new" was the battle mechanics. I got about 2-4 hours in before just getting plain bored. That said even with me not wanting to finish it I still feel like it's an ok game. Certainly not what it was hyped up to be though.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

kassemmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Undertale is one of those games you cannot put in a box. Some may say it "looks and plays like mother", but the game is so unique in what it is in almost any part of the game. Even when some passages seemed "boring" on the surface, I thought they looked and felt like someone actually cared about it when designing the game. Something I miss in the times of procedural generated landscapes or even whole planets. Long stretched areas giving you time to think about what you are actually doing to this world you fell into, the reason you are (actually) here, where you belong and what might happen the next time you meet that motherfu*****, blue jacket wearing, not funny at all skeleton. Probably Toby Fox didn't care at all, just threw some random tiles in there and some text a 13 year-old thought was the hot shit back then - who knows.

The first time experience is definitely something special, it fuc*** my mind - several times. I rarely had this feeling of insecurity in a video game. I didn't know what to expect next but it felt good and kept me playing to the actual imo pleasing first ending.

There are problems with this game and I don't want to deny them at all. The controversies coming with it and the shit the internet sometimes made out of it were definitely on a whole new level. But the game itself is great.

Where it lacked the fine storytelling of a gem like witcher 3 or the great gameplay of something like bayonetta/dark souls/whatever the **** your favorite game is - it made up for it using the element of surprise.
And damn, sometimes I wasn't sure whether this shit is a videogame, a brainwashing software created by a weird cult or a virus infesting my PC.

I would give it a 5/7

Last edited by kassemmel,

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ex girlfriend loved this game. When I suggested I might pirate it & try it out, she went berserk, so I forgot about it. Maybe I'll check it out now

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In my opinion, those that hate it based on the fandom, are imbeciles. It's like if all of a sudden there's this new invention called "Pizza" and the whole world is going nuts about it to the point of fanboyism. You heard about this pizza and decide to not even try it because everyone is going crazy over it. It's very easy to avoid any fanbase.
this is very very relative and not that easy ...
Why is relative : you see a lot of sheet before tasting the pizza, that sheet is unconfrotable for you
You have the pizza you can > Ignore to don't have bad images on your mind or just try it
if you try, you can even like but will still remind the sheet they made, it have the point that being better and the sheet turn irrelevant or the sheet to strong, and every tme character X happens to apers, you will reming that stupid fanart of her playing with her duck... [true history]
This is why I hate these fandoms so much ... until I got that point I was ok too.

Other times seeing the hype just saturaste you too much that make lost any interest on it ... idk but this is person to person ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1