Hacking Unique headers for 3DZs: What about second hand cartridges?

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Presumably it's the unique ID that makes a first hand ROM dump unique, but if the game had a prior owner, or if the game is sold after being dumped, then that ID could become public and commonplace, right?

So a dumped 3DZ is only safe if you've had the game cart from new and not sold it on; and the same goes for a unique header ID - it should be from a game cart you've had from new and not sold on.

Correct?

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. If the cart was previously owned, it means there is a possibility that it was dumped and used before you obtained it. If the cart is sold afterward, it means someone else has the cart and its possible that you and the person with the cart will go online together. If you want to be 100% sure that your header is unique, you need a game that you know hasn't been dumped before and is in your possession, either from a new copy or from a copy you know hasn't been dumped, from a friend or something to that origin.

Reactions: retrospect
D

Deleted-19228

People are making too much out of this unique cart stuff. The bans stopped and they were removed a week after they started. I have personally been online with my own dumped cart and rom at the same time without issues.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you assume the worst from Nintendo, then yes. Personally, I think the very point you mention (nefarious users can make a header public and then sell the original game to an unsuspecting buyer) is why Nintendo won't take a heavy-handed stance against piracy in this manner (again). They would be punishing legitimate users which loses them money and good-will.

What they can do is be a little more intelligent with their ban criteria. Say they see an NNID go online with one public header but the same person has already gone online dozens of times with legitimate unshared headers. For now at least they can probably assume that user is not a pirate. Conversely, if an NNID goes online on 10 different games with the same public header that user is probably not a paying customer and can safely be banned.

mb2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Presumably it's the unique ID that makes a first hand ROM dump unique, but if the game had a prior owner, or if the game is sold after being dumped, then that ID could become public and commonplace, right?

So a dumped 3DZ is only safe if you've had the game cart from new and not sold it on; and the same goes for a unique header ID - it should be from a game cart you've had from new and not sold on.

Correct?
I sold a header earlier from a brand new game (no i will not use myself), that way you know only the person receiving the header will have it. I've read people buying games to rip and then returning them, that totally defeats the object. In short only brand new games are a reputable source of truly private headers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/iqu132vTl5Y?si=MZw4KpDtlawLZNEF