Hacking Updating offline

realg123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great site++

I've modded a couple of wiis. Some I had to update to system 4.1U (but I had to update them through the homebrew channel and online)

My question is can I update offline using system menu wads (downloaded from nus)
If thats possible would it still allow me to mod the wii?

Let say I had a wii that had a system menu of 3.1U would I be able to update it offline straight to 4.1U or 4.2U or would I need to go in increments (3.2>3.2>3.3>etc.)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You will only need to install the system menu wad !AND THE SYSTEM IOS WAD (IOS60 for 4.1, IOS70 for 4.2,...)! with a wad manager, that's it.

Tom191

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just use xFlaks NUSAD program and it will figure everything out for you and even make a guide so you can't go wrong. Seriously, just use that.

The bad thing about JUST updating the system menu and installing it's IOS is then there will be many IOS's that are out of date and many games will require updated IOS's. The problem with that is even if you do have priiloader installed with the hacks to ignor disc updates, then many games wont work because the version of whatever IOS is not installed. So you are best to update everything with xflaks very easy to use and totally legal NUSAD.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a game doesn't want to run and you have updates blocked with priiloader, there's always GeckoOS to run it and see if an IOS install is needed from the disc.

realg123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks tom and drone.
the reason why i asked was because. as im softmodding it i like to update the system menu to 4.1 or
4.2 using homebrew channel (but i want to upgrade it offline)
i just downloaded nus from this site download a system menu it came along with other wads (such as news, photo channel wed etc)

if i only install the system menu wad is that enough?

also what exactly does priloader do?

also is it safe to update homebrew channel when asked. the guide that i follow tells me not to

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
realg123 said:
thanks tom and drone.
the reason why i asked was because. as im softmodding it i like to update the system menu to 4.1 or
i just downloaded nus from this site download a system menu it came along with other wads (such as news, photo channel wed etc)

also is it safe to update homebrew channel when asked. the guide that i follow tells me not to
And again, it is NOT enough to only install the system menu wad, you MUST install the needed system IOS, otherwise you will BRICK the wii. It is save to update the homebrew channel, there is no problem with.
Priiloader is a application which will install before the system menu, so if the system menu is corrupt (bannerbrick or custom menu), you can still boot priiloader. This is a nice brick-protection and you can activate system menu hacks, like remove disc update or play games from every region.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
realg123 said:
thanks tom and drone.

you need the system menu IOS (for 4.2 its IOS70) and the system menu wad itself after that.
the others are optional, but required if you want their corresponding channels to work.
priiloader is a nice simple little app that can load in place of the system menu if you hold reset while turning the Wii on. several nice hacks, and it can directly boot a dol file from sd root.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wut