Hacking Waninkoko prepares Firmware Updater 4.2

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick simple question, since I've never used one up wanin's updaters before (always gone through nintendo)
I understand that wanin's updater puts the Trucha bug in the ios that it updates, but is there anything else it does?
Would updating to 4.2 via waninkoko updater then using dop-ios to reinstall all the clean ios give me the equivalent of a nintendo update? (minus the stubs and the boot2 update obviously)

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alexcalibur said:
Just a quick simple question, since I've never used one up wanin's updaters before (always gone through nintendo)
I understand that wanin's updater puts the Trucha bug in the ios that it updates, but is there anything else it does?
Would updating to 4.2 via waninkoko updater then using dop-ios to reinstall all the clean ios give me the equivalent of a nintendo update? (minus the stubs and the boot2 update obviously)

You can just use DOP-IOS Mod v6 to install all of the IOSes (only trucha IOS70..you need it for SD card VC/Wiiware play) and then simply install the system menu for your region (get it with NUSD and pack it into a wad). Make SURE it is your region tho! Assuming you have a USA Wii, that version would be v481.

D

darklocust

zektor said:
Yes, v6 Mod can be used instead. It was not available when I posted, and only the standard v8 was...which did not have all of the new IOSes listed. But, I still personally prefer the wad method. It's fast as hell. I updated three Wii consoles today and each one took about five minutes or less. Just as long as it took to install the wads
smile.gif
I actually used DOP-IOS Mod v6, downloaded and trucha/es_identify IOS70, then packed that into a wad using wad creator. Now I have a trucha system menu IOS70 in wad form. Finally, scene group 1-UP released the shopping channel v17 today in wad form, so I stuck that in the mix. My offline upgrade consists purely of simply installing a bunch of wads. Perfect!
smile.gif

Could you share the IOS70 w/trucha in WAD form?

I found Marc's Shopping Channel Update thru http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS61_installer

For some reason, I was able to download Shopping Channel-NUS-v17.wad thru NUS. Is this safe to install using your guide or use Marc's?

samuelfy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
hawk36 said:
samuelfy said:
My Wii update from 3.2J to 41.U with WiiKey, now use the Waninkoko Firmware update 4.2 to update the 4.1U to 4.2U, eventhing is working good, only the disc channel not working, when i use Gecko to load the game from disc, it's working, any one know how to fix the disc channel issue? thank a lot.

you have to flash your dvd drive whit wiikey.1.9s.US . and then use the config for the us version . then it will work . i have don this more than once from jap to pal to us and it works . you will never get it too work if you dont flash the drive .

I have try, still not working, before when i upgrade from 3.2J to 4.0U, have same issue, and can fix when have thee flash wiikey 1.9s US ans config disc, this time not working, any other can fix this issue? thank you.

nanuk101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi i did the update im with 4.2 now i check my backup game cube wii backup and wii backupsigned with trucha and a original of wii all work great but i dont see any of the new channel ex(speak channel) the shoping channel ask for a update and now my homebrew channel is upside down when i open it but when i start a homebrew its ok so how can i get the missing channel and is it safe to do the update the the shopping channel is asking me to do and one last thing how can i fix my homebrew channel

oups just found out that my punch out dosent work anymore

thx a lot for your help
Nanuk101

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
zektor said:
You can just use DOP-IOS Mod v6 to install all of the IOSes (only trucha IOS70..you need it for SD card VC/Wiiware play) and then simply install the system menu for your region (get it with NUSD and pack it into a wad). Make SURE it is your region tho! Assuming you have a USA Wii, that version would be v481.

Woah there, I just downloaded the latest system menu via NUSD for USA WII and the wad file was v486 and not v481. What's up?

Edit:fixed. Forgot to put in v481 in the box

mk123a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
samuelfy said:
hawk36 said:
samuelfy said:
My Wii update from 3.2J to 41.U with WiiKey, now use the Waninkoko Firmware update 4.2 to update the 4.1U to 4.2U, eventhing is working good, only the disc channel not working, when i use Gecko to load the game from disc, it's working, any one know how to fix the disc channel issue? thank a lot.

you have to flash your dvd drive whit wiikey.1.9s.US . and then use the config for the us version . then it will work . i have don this more than once from jap to pal to us and it works . you will never get it too work if you dont flash the drive .

I have try, still not working, before when i upgrade from 3.2J to 4.0U, have same issue, and can fix when have thee flash wiikey 1.9s US ans config disc, this time not working, any other can fix this issue? thank you.

The 4.2 update region locks your wii, your import backups won't work in the disc channel and so far I don't think there is a solution around this besides using gecko os. Perhaps a mod chip firmware upgrade that uses a different method of region freeing b/c the current method is broken by 4.2 -- games regionfree'd also don't work.

draskopf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime I run the 4.2U firmware update it stops while downloading the conent #20 of the Wii speak channel with an error ret -1. It has done this numerous times and stops at the same point. When I resart the Wii it seems like nothing has changed. Any ideas on how I can finish this update, by the way I have been semi-bricked (cant go to wii settings but that was from before, I am hoping the update fixes my prob.

Any input would be helpful

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
Helsionium said:
john1010_ma said:
zektor said:
For a simple online-offline "going from 4.1U to 4.2U" without dealing with the various issues, perhaps you can throw together a guide to use NUSD and download all of the new titles. Here's what I did (must already be on a v4.1U system with cIOS249 already installed):

While still on v4.1U:

1. Run marc's shopping channel update (since you are blocked from downloading the actual channel from NUSD, this is necessary)

2. Run DOP-IOSv8 and download and sig hash patch (trucha) IOS70.

3. Use NUSD and download the following IOSes (latest versions) and pack them into wads:

IOS9
IOS12
IOS13
IOS14
IOS15
IOS17
IOS21
IOS22
IOS28
IOS31
IOS34
IOS33
IOS35
IOS36
IOS37
IOS38
IOS53
IOS55
IOS56
IOS60 (this is a stub, but who knows if Nintendo will check for it to be stubbed in the future) You don't need it in v4.2 anymore anyway.
SystemMenu (make SURE it is for your region. I am USA, so mine is v481)

4. Boot wad manager and install all packed wads you downloaded.

Done!

This will bring you to v4.2 with all of the new updated IOSes, omitting those stubs that break your cIOSes and the crappy boot2 update that overwrites your bootmii. I have tested playing VC from SD and it works fine, all loaders work of course, no upside down HBC, and no issues with "vunerable ios not found" on the hackmii installer. This is because these are pure IOSes without trucha. You do not need trucha on anything but IOS70 (for vc/wiiware sd playing) and your cIOSes handle the rest.

Can we just use the latest dop-ios mod for step 3 instead of packing them into wads?

Yes, the latest Dop-IOS v8 is able to install the most recent versions of all IOS, except IOS60, which is now a stub IOS. I don't think you should install it anyway.
EDIT: I meant Dop-IOS MOD v6, sorry.

Yes, v6 Mod can be used instead. It was not available when I posted, and only the standard v8 was...which did not have all of the new IOSes listed. But, I still personally prefer the wad method. It's fast as hell. I updated three Wii consoles today and each one took about five minutes or less. Just as long as it took to install the wads
smile.gif
I actually used DOP-IOS Mod v6, downloaded and trucha/es_identify IOS70, then packed that into a wad using wad creator. Now I have a trucha system menu IOS70 in wad form. Finally, scene group 1-UP released the shopping channel v17 today in wad form, so I stuck that in the mix. My offline upgrade consists purely of simply installing a bunch of wads. Perfect!
smile.gif

Will this update the Wii completely or just the IOS:es? And will StartPatch 4.1 still work? Otherwise I think I need to wait for the new StartPatch to arrive... :-(

gd48202

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zektor said:
Helsionium said:
john1010_ma said:
zektor said:
For a simple online-offline "going from 4.1U to 4.2U" without dealing with the various issues, perhaps you can throw together a guide to use NUSD and download all of the new titles. Here's what I did (must already be on a v4.1U system with cIOS249 already installed):

While still on v4.1U:

1. Run marc's shopping channel update (since you are blocked from downloading the actual channel from NUSD, this is necessary)

3. Use NUSD and download the following IOSes (latest versions) and pack them into wads:

IOS9
IOS12
IOS13
IOS14
IOS15
IOS17
IOS21
IOS22
IOS28
IOS31
IOS34
IOS33
IOS35
IOS36
IOS37
IOS38
IOS53
IOS55
IOS56
IOS60 (this is a stub, but who knows if Nintendo will check for it to be stubbed in the future) You don't need it in v4.2 anymore anyway.

Done!

This will bring you to v4.2 with all of the new updated IOSes, omitting those stubs that break your cIOSes and the crappy boot2 update that overwrites your bootmii. I have tested playing VC from SD and it works fine, all loaders work of course, no upside down HBC, and no issues with "vunerable ios not found" on the hackmii installer. This is because these are pure IOSes without trucha. You do not need trucha on anything but IOS70 (for vc/wiiware sd playing) and your cIOSes handle the rest.

Can we just use the latest dop-ios mod for step 3 instead of packing them into wads?

Yes, the latest Dop-IOS v8 is able to install the most recent versions of all IOS, except IOS60, which is now a stub IOS. I don't think you should install it anyway.
EDIT: I meant Dop-IOS MOD v6, sorry.

smile.gif
smile.gif

Zektor,

How does Preloader fit into the mix of your install method? Will Preloader 0.29 still work fine? When should Preloader be installed?

Thanks,
GD

limesherbert

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
pimpkin said:
anyone getting this?

hpim2331.jpg

tried running it a few times and keep getting that at different times durring the wii speak channel.

Yep!! Tried 3 different SD cards, and it eventually went through OK after giving -1 at different points in the installation. Just grin and bear my friend is all I can say

Me too, except I get errorz when downloading the shop channel
frown.gif

Blackbeard

Trophies
XP
Country
I am one lucky bugger! I tried the Wikianos 4.2 updater and it failed while loading the shopping channel - came here to see why this might be and found out that had I been successful I would have lost a load of my disc images as I have a Wiikey 1 fitted.

I'm staying on 4.1 for a while

grog.gif

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
zektor said:

While still on v4.1U:

IOS9
IOS12
IOS13
IOS14
IOS15
IOS17
IOS21
IOS22
IOS28
IOS31
IOS34
IOS33
IOS35
IOS36
IOS37
IOS38
IOS53
IOS55
IOS56

Done!

I can say that Zektor's guide to upgrade from 4.1U to 4.2U WORKS! I trust his method more than Wanin's 4.2 updater. Thanks Zektor!

A question that I believe has been asked: what about Preloader? Has it (and the hacks.ini) been completely uninstalled if I had it previosly in 4.1U?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you found it useful
smile.gif
It is certainly the best way to upgrade from a previous softmodded Wii. Preloader is gone (since it resided in the old system menu). We're all waiting for either Preloader or Startpatch to be updated. I would imagine it will not be too long now. As for the hacks.ini, I am not sure. Doesn't it copy this somewhere to nand? I used Preloader one time long ago, but I removed it. It is just too intrusive for my tastes. I'm waiting for Startpatch
smile.gif

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i still could not understand why rush on updating to 4.2 wherein this update's main purpose is to block all of the homebrew features which makes my wii worthwhile.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
i still could not understand why rush on updating to 4.2 wherein this update's main purpose is to block all of the homebrew features which makes my wii worthwhile.

If you update it "right", the main purpose is not to block anything at all....and get the latest system menu and IOSes
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, with my guide, you can actually simply download the shopping channel with NUSD now instead of using marcs installer. It didn't allow me to the other day, but now it does
wtf.gif

Anyway, that means you can lessen the steps:

1. Use DOP-IOS and download/trucha IOS70

2. Download and pack into wads all of the IOSes I listed, as well as system menu for your region and shopping channel v17

3. Install them. Done!

Easy enough
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol