wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
hello I was wondering if there was a good tutorial on how to start to code for the wii? I have been tryibg to use this one but i think it is to old
Nothing works when i try to make the files from the tut. only errors??? Help please!

this is the tut i was trying to learn from http://www.codemii.com/2008/08/24/tutorial...input/#more-124

hope someone can help me find a new up to date one or maybe help me out somehow .

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It helps if you have some actual programming knowledge to begin with.

You didn't mention if you had any previous programming experience or training.

I'm no programmer, it's not something I was ever interested in, but I'm pretty sure that some kind of previous programming knowledge/experience/training is important before you can start pecking away creating program code.

Take a class or 3 maybe? Just having those devkits won't help you much if you don't know what you're doing.

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
no experience

i know i probably need some background for coding but i was hoping for a quick tutorial thats up to date

i just want to learn some simple coding and then ill go from there.

well thanks for all the "help" sorry to bother you all for a noob wanting to learn.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im interested as well but i have no drive to learn it, i did find a nice tutorial on beginners programming for the wii, but i don't have the link. i really want to go to school for programming but im too lazy

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
scooby74029 said:
hello I was wondering if there was a good tutorial on how to start to code for the wii? I have been tryibg to use this one but i think it is to old
Nothing works when i try to make the files from the tut. only errors??? Help please!

this is the tut i was trying to learn from http://www.codemii.com/2008/08/24/tutorial...input/#more-124

hope someone can help me find a new up to date one or maybe help me out somehow .
What´s not up to date about it? And... that´s the best one you are gonna be able to find.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you're going to show us your programs, just be advised that nobody will really care if you complete a Hello World application, or something really simple. Give it some time so you have something nice to show us, like a basic libwiigui app or something.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
scooby74029 said:
no experience
i just want to learn some simple coding and then ill go from there.
use a local development system with more comfort (=debugging options) to learn. it's much easier than cross compiling for and testing with Wii.

I recommend the following steps:
1.) learn programming language basics (on local host)
2.) try to understand programming algorithms to get a programmers feeling (read, understand and play with free code; on local host)
3.) select a programming goal (write it down!)
4.) try to implement that for the wii (devkitpro)

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the advice

@daxtsu
@wiimm

and no i didnt think the hello world would impress anyone but me that i could do it and it worked and i added to it and it worked.

well i gotta lot to learn and play with here so ill keep you all informed

again thanks for the help

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to know how to program before you start trying to do WiiDev, and C/C++ is not the best language to start with. I suggest you start by learning how to do simple things in Java or Basic, both are better for getting started. Once you understand the basics of abstraction and object-oriented programing, start learning C/C++. Wiimm is right though, you will also need to understand how to create algorithms and abstract data containers before you are able to do much of anything. Once you have a grasp on these concepts, you can start trying to learn the Wii codebase (libogc, libwiigui, etc.). Taking a few classes will help a lot.

P.S. Learning a functional programing language like scheme will help you to really understand abstraction and recursion.

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can't just follow a quick tutorial on C and start making good apps ... I had no knowledge of C, and it took me +1 year to fully understand everything and make usable apps (without books, only with trying stuff out and testing it)

QUOTE said:
I suggest you start by learning how to do simple things in Java or Basic, both are better for getting started. Once you understand the basics of abstraction
thats the worst advice you could give, vb is totally diffrent from C. C is not hard to learn if you take enough time to learn it (i only knew some php before i started C)

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
A "quick tutorial" won't help

I used to program myself but I never made homebrew.

even simple things like tic tac toe games are relatively difficult to make.

If you want to make homebrew first learn C This helps

That will take you a while once you have learned C (and have made some impressive/useful things for your desktop) ask someone who makes homebrew for some guidance.

Also one thing a lot of people get mixed up with is that C and C++ are different (yet similar) languages, a lot of people think they know both yet they only know one of them however once you know one the other is easy to learn.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, to the talk about java c/c++ which is better to start with and which isn't...
I started with C... really really basic C. didn't go through any object orientated programming at all (this was in high school).

after that we learnt ada95, java, scheme, and c++... and I got to say: You can do ANYTHING with C / C++ if you read and understand: C++ primer plus by steven prata! best book evar!

So, I suggest you get that book, it's fairly cheap, and follow it (though it may be very easy and basic things at the start, read it anyway) along with trying to play with tutorials and the wii-dev..
smile.gif

the book for learning thoroughly, tutorials and wii-dev for keeping the interest up
smile.gif

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just finished "C++ For Beginners", I'll dig up the author's name later. Right now I'm in "Beginning Game Programming: Third Edition", and I just made (read: copied and learned from) a program that accepts Xbox 360 controller input.

Point being, learn it before you try it on Wii. Believe it or not, that was my initial approach. Didn't get me very far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz