Weep for Canadian DSL service in Canada (it dies in March)

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
Seeing how Bell themselves are a bad company, I'm honestly not surprised by this then. They overcharge their customers on anything and everything, and the reasoning behind this is just as ridiculous. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that Shaw doesn't get tied into this as well.
surprisingly , their phone plans aren't that bad compared to others .
xD .

as a teenager , i know that txting is used a lot , and an unlimited txting plan is only $20 with Bell while other companies charge at least $25 .

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tacticer said:
How you can call 60 gigs great escapes me. I am (until March 1st) getting 400 gigs a month. Still think 60 is awesome?

Because we're only paying... $40-$45 bucks a month, and its more than what I need? I don't go download crazy and download every thing I see. I only download some tv shows that come on weekly, and movies, and DS games. So yeah, 60 gigs a month with 15mbps download for the price we're paying, I'm happy.

Also, provide a source, link. Don't make the people go looking for it. I'm on the website, I see nothing. Give link or I call bullshit..

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, just read one of those links... the CBC one.

Doesn't affect me. Bell isn't getting any money from me for one reason:

Where I live, Bell doesn't offer internet. Only Shaw does. And Shaw has superior service and download than Bell.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel for you in Aus, but sorry, I'd rather not join you in having shitty internet and weird content laws.

I like saying Canada is a great country. I wonder what ole Alexander would say about what is being done to his name.

Bell is not everywhere, true, but the CRTC is and you can bet everyone and his aunt in Canada is watching this, and the biggie providers are taking notes.

This is the CRTC proving they can't be trusted to protect squat.

I might be losing out on some service, but, this could well mean the life and death of a lot of businesses and their employees.

If I say screw it and turf having internet at all, it's going to be taking a lot of coin out of a lot of pockets.

I have a laptop, I can always score me some free wifi hot spot action if I desperately need it. Then again, I can see a lot of convenient free wifi maybe disappearing.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since Bell controls our DSL lines here, all the companies that piggyback off their DSL (such as Acanac and Teksavvy) will eventually be forced to comply with this bullshit.

I made the switch to Cable this month. Rogers gives me 80Mbit and 175GB for $99, and they don't even offer 80Mbit services -- it just so happens that my area just got upgraded so I get insane speeds. Although I use a hell of a lot more than 175GB per month, I'll need to cut things down and use only what really matters.

When I first heard of UBB last year, since my bandwidth was unlimited I went and did as much as I could in terms of downloading... 24 hours a day for 30 days, I snagged almost 2TB of data
biggrin.gif

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Weep? C'mon. Bell owns the infrastructure. They friggin' built it. They should be allowed to have a say in the way it's used.

Also, this in an interesting example:
QUOTE said:
Under the plan, Bell will charge wholesale ISPs a flat fee for connecting to its network, and for a set monthly usage limit per customer. Beyond that set limit, users will be charged per gigabyte, depending on the speed of their connections.

Customers using the fastest connections of five-megabits per second, for example, will have a monthly allotment of 60 gigabytes, beyond which Bell will charge $1.12 per GB to a maximum of $22.50.

If a customer uses more than 300 GB a month, Bell will also be able to implement an additional charge of 75 cents per gigabyte.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05...l#ixzz1Cd3kwAGO

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hankchill said:
When I first heard of UBB last year, since my bandwidth was unlimited I went and did as much as I could in terms of downloading... 24 hours a day for 30 days, I snagged almost 2TB of data
biggrin.gif
mellow.gif

holy that's crazy .
though i don't see much things i need to download anymore ... unless new versions of the stuff on my computer will get released . once they do, i usually download them , then just store them just incase i need it or if a tutorial uses that version over the older ones.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thaddius said:
Weep? C'mon. Bell owns the infrastructure. They friggin' built it. They should be allowed to have a say in the way it's used.

Also, this in an interesting example:
QUOTE said:
Under the plan, Bell will charge wholesale ISPs a flat fee for connecting to its network, and for a set monthly usage limit per customer. Beyond that set limit, users will be charged per gigabyte, depending on the speed of their connections.

Customers using the fastest connections of five-megabits per second, for example, will have a monthly allotment of 60 gigabytes, beyond which Bell will charge $1.12 per GB to a maximum of $22.50.

If a customer uses more than 300 GB a month, Bell will also be able to implement an additional charge of 75 cents per gigabyte.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05...l#ixzz1Cd3kwAGO

"Bell owns the infrastructure. They friggin' built it. They should be allowed to have a say in the way it's used." It's time we took this public utility back and made it the property of the nation.

D

Deleted_171835

What the fuck!
25 GB is extremely low. I would never be able to last a month with only 25 GB. I'm glad I use cable internet and not DSL. I currently get 60GB with Rogers Express. It's horrible but if I want more I'll have to pay more. I guess I won't be able to switch to TekSavvy. anymore. There wouldn't be much point to switching to an internet connection with a 25GB cap.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Splych said:
CarbonX13 said:
Seeing how Bell themselves are a bad company, I'm honestly not surprised by this then. They overcharge their customers on anything and everything, and the reasoning behind this is just as ridiculous. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that Shaw doesn't get tied into this as well.
surprisingly , their phone plans aren't that bad compared to others .
xD .

as a teenager , i know that txting is used a lot , and an unlimited txting plan is only $20 with Bell while other companies charge at least $25 .
As a teenager myself as well, Bell has been overcharging my friends on every aspect of a cell phone plan in comparison to Rogers, Telus, and Fido. Then again, me and my friends don't text a lot, it's more about some text, and a set number of minutes. I don't think it varies per region, but Bell hardly has any impact on the phone market here in Vancouver, since everyone here at least considers them a bad company that overcharges you. Phones, Internet, anything really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, is that Wing from South Park?
    BigOnYa hmmm I wonder how long until someone just vapes the straight nicotine lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was gonna say people are not that dumb, but yea you right, some are.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People have put 50mg salt nic in straight subohm coils which is like more powerful hits
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey psi, do they have dress codes down there in FLa, here there are signs on stores that say "No shirt, no service" but curious bout down yonder
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I tried the salts and too strong for me, I prefer the norm juice
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In Florida they don't serve you if you have clothes on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking raining again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How can you tell, do you see rain drops on top of other rain drops?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can tell by whenever your wife done letting out loud ass moans then I get her a ticket back home
    +1
    @BigOnYa, yeah most places demand clothes and shoes, unless it's some really back water place that I am unaware of lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cool, I got lunch money for tomorrow then.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @K3Nv2 call uremum Sloppenheimer the way she givin me this bomb head
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I call uremum alzheimer she forgets to leave
    +1
    Time to start a vape straight nicotine challenge, Darwin be praised!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine if Hitler had vapes, we promise it's not cyanide it'll help you quit nicotine
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please, walk into my patented vape chamber, aka the non smoking area
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I do wonder how dominate Germany would've been if they just enlisted Jewish people
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around? Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says...