Hacking What are those firmware bin files?

kedest

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What exactly are those .bin files that the different CFWs require? What do they do technically? They're not included in most downloads, so I assume it's something copyrighted from Nintendo.
Also, are they interchangeable between CFWs? I've followed tutorials to set up both reinand and rxtools for example. But the .bin files are different in size. If they are indeed genuine Nintendo-files, how come they're different? Also, are they firmware-related? I now have a 9.2 emunand. If I update to 10.3, does that require new bin files?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Firmware.bin contains a copy of the NATIVE_FIRM of the 3DS. It's basically the kernel(s). They're different because Reinand use a decrypted version, while Cakes uses an encrypted one (not sure about RxTools, don't use it), and Cakes has code to decrypt it on the fly (ReiNand does not to avoid code bloat and to keep simplicity). So yes, they're copyrighted Nintendo files, which is why we can't link to them directly. If you're on N3DS, and you update your N3DS emuNAND to 10.3, you'll need to update the firmware.bin as well as switch to Cakes or Reinand (until RxTools updates), if you don't already use one or the other.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: kedest

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It'd be nice if the CFWs would actually use the FIRMs stored in the emuNANDs themselves, but for now it's wishful thinking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: