What does it take to become a game reviewer?

pig_slaughterer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
One idea I have but will probably never get around to trying is to start my own YouTube channel as an independent game reviewer. It makes me wonder how to provide an informed review of games across different genres and series. How does someone who does not play FPS games review an FPS game? I could I had fun playing it but elaborating on that would likely lead to me saying something silly or outright false. Someone who did not play Diddy Kong Racing may not be aware that Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed was not the first Mario Kart clone to implement boats and planes.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm by no means a professional but I've been writing here for like seven years now, so I at least have experience.

I personally think just being open about your experience is the best move. If you're wanting to review a game in a foreign genre to you, make it clear that you're new to the genre and that your opinions will reflect that. Other people with more experience will have their opinions, but the fresh outlook could also provide something they can't.

In terms of "what it takes", the realistic answer is very little. Written reviews are easier than video reviews in my mind, but obviously have a focus on things like grammar. Video reviews you need to pace your speech, have footage to reflect what you're talking about, edit it all together... It's more daunting to me (hence why I haven't got to trying it yet lol) but hey, everybody starts somewhere. If your first review sucks your second will be better, and your third better than that. Just gotta stick with it.

If you have any other random questions I can try my best to help, but as I said my thoughts by no means reflect those of a professional.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I... Don't really get your philosophical message here. If you want to be an independent reviewer... What's stopping you?
Sure, if you want to get a massive amount of followers or even get monetary gains, it's a different ballgame, but the fun part of a review is imho the writing. The discovering, analyzing and catch your feelings about something into words.
Making a compellingly told story from your script is a different take, adding video editing and standing out from the crowd are important next steps, but the first step is the easiest: get reviewing. It doesn't matter if it's not perfect, because nothing ever is. By doing, you'll learn to articulate, form your opinion better or even learn the craft.
Theorizing about it... I wouldn't say it's pointless, but it is if you let it stand in your way of doing what you want to do.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do very much agree with the above. If you want an easy place to start writing reviews, there's always this site's user review section. I can't say it gets too many views, but while you're starting out and figuring what works best for you that isn't always the worst thing.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you're overthinking, which is very "me." @Scarlet has great advice. Be authentic. If you're honest with your viewers, they'll appreciate it and understand if you don't know every small detail ever. Don't be afraid to be wrong, but be aware of any sweeping statements you're making. You can always soften the language or qualify it.

Remember that video games are entertainment. If you liked it, write about that. If you had a hard time, be able to explain why.

I say, make a prototype video and see how you feel about it.

Reactions: Scarlet

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have to be really loud , obnoxious and angry. just look at all the idiots on youtube and copy them :creep:
"Heeey, what's up, what's UP, YOO TOOB! Remember to lick and subside, ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISH that dingly dingin bell, donate to my Patreon for EaRlY AcCeSs, and check out my Kickstarter for my new game: Cool Dude Casserole! Plushies coming soon SOON SOOOOOOON!"

I can't fault Youtubers that lay it on thick when it's their main source of income, but I know some take that stuff way too far. It's good to think about how you want to present yourself.

Don't obsess over analytics. They can be helpful, like telling you when people tend to check out, but you should always be trying to make the content you truly want. Don't be afraid to take a breath and retool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, and I wouldnt like to watch an episode of a show atleast twice to review it...