Homebrew What is "CleanDS"?

Telix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see ROMS being listed as "CleanDS #XXXX". Searching for the term and googling CleanDS reveals nothing. I imagine it is some kind of verification tool like Offlinelist? Or is it just some term that gets attached to any "clean" dump?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
clean ds roms are meant for normal operation, saving to the ds slot (slot 1)
Patched DS Roms are meant for those with gba flash carts (supercard, etc) in their DS's who play DS games from the GBA slot (slot 2) so all it does is it redirects your save from going to slot1 like it usually would, to slot 2 so you have it on your flashcart.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
clean ds roms are meant for normal operation, saving to the ds slot (slot 1)
Patched DS Roms are meant for those with gba flash carts (supercard, etc) in their DS's who play DS games from the GBA slot (slot 2) so all it does is it redirects your save from going to slot1 like it usually would, to slot 2 so you have it on your flashcart.

I thought Clean DS roms meant (among other things) they had an encrypted secure area, which means they will not work on carts like the m3/g6/sc unless you run them through ndstool to decrypt them.

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about this stuff yet, as I don't have a flashcart yet, but isn't the Clean DS a raw dump? Isn't that what you want to get first? Then you patch it to run on a flashcart. How would you know the rom you downloade is clean?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about this stuff yet, as I don't have a flashcart yet, but isn't the Clean DS a raw dump? Isn't that what you want to get first? Then you patch it to run on a flashcart. How would you know the rom you downloade is clean?

I use the NDSCRC tool. All of the dumps it recognizes work correctly in my prefered devices (M3 & SC). Get it in the forums at http://www.advanscene.com/ . It actually downloads updated XML's on command....and all of the files that are supposedly "correct" according to this are the labeled "CleanDS" files. Well, they work perfectly on my devices..

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
CleanDS is just a thing used on newsgroups letting you know it's a clean dump, it doesn't mean the secure area is encrypted or anything like that. Basically those are the ones you wanna get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.