Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
elixirdream said:
chinese boxing?
interesting.. how is it different from the boxing that we know

Techniques and the use of just more than your fists! Kick boxing would probably have been a better description but it still doesn't describe it properly. Chinese boxing involves the use of set sparring, the study of forms and a different exercise regime. Thinking about it I really should have put kick boxing but I'm just so used to calling it Chinese boxing.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
played football (soccer, the real *european* deal
biggrin.gif
) for 12 years then had to give up due to studies
but I still enjoy the occasional game with my pals, even here in China at university with random chinese students.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I used to do Kuk Sool Won but then I did something to my groin (tendons) so I had to stop.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
I used to do Kuk Sool Won but then I did something to my groin (tendons) so I had to stop.

Harshness. There was a Kuk Sool Won class when I lived in Eastbourne but I never managed to go. It's a traditional Korean martial art isn't it?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah, what elixir said. That article is pretty much correct (I'd put more emphasis on some things but that's just me).

The good thing about Kuk Sool Won is that it hasn't been sport-ified yet.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to play a lot of various sports before my eye got popped in 1991 (no lens, no iris, transplanted cornea, which means no focus (20/2000 is what the docs called it) and no light-filtering in that eye). Now I can't even go outside on cloudy days without wearing sunglasses. Sports is out-the-window since I only see in 2D now.

I used to ride a bike everywhere (and I mean miles and miles a day, I was always gone on my bicycle), I played tennis, baseball, football, freakin' hackey sack, frisbee, ran track, etc. I was a beanpole with body-builder like legs. Now the only thing I can do out of all that is ride a bike, but I get nasty headaches from being in the sun too long because of my bad eye.....not to mention that the neighborhood I live in has degenerated to the point where I just hop in my car and beeline out of it if I go anywhere. I drive a mile away just to get a stinking soda, even though there are little corner stores all over the place around here. But to try and go the closer stores, you have bastards trying to bum money off of you or mug you.

The closest thing to sports I do now is have our cat chase a laser pointer around. I've since gained 50 pounds and feel like crap most of the time because I can't do most of the things I used to take for granted.

And people wonder why I'm so bitter and negative all the time......
dry.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
Yeah, what elixir said. That article is pretty much correct (I'd put more emphasis on some things but that's just me).

The good thing about Kuk Sool Won is that it hasn't been sport-ified yet.

Nice, too many of the martial arts styles have become really sport-ified. The thing that really impressed me when I saw the Kuk Sool Won demo is the fact that it combined hard and soft martial arts really well. The Chinese boxing style I studied (Wu Shu Kwan) focused mainly on hard style, the soft style is so much nicer to watch tho and when combined with good old fashioned punches and kicks it can be pretty lethal.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tennis
you should make a poll
@luke_c; I know the awnser. No, its the 4 mile of Groningen!

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I play alot of basketball and the odd footy game wid my made (The Real Football not fuckin soccer) and i sometimes play in a local badmiton double tournement with my friend. I want to get into rugby as im quite well built and ive played once or twice and ive had a great laugh.

I never done any type of martial art properly but my the same m8 who i play badmiton with has taught me a bit of taekwondo.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basketball, volleyball, tennis, rollerblading, biking, and does pool count? Used to play a ton of soccer in high school but haven't played for years.

Edit: and swimming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I might download rayman revolution for my ps3