Hacking What's the difference between a Wii Forwarder and a Channel?

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the last-made (Official) WiiFlow channel, however, some of the newer games (Just Dance 2, for instance) won't run on the channel.

The WiiFlow developer signed off and made it open source. Some people picked it up & the downloads are here: http://bit.ly/cHIq4l .

----

I apologize for being indirect, I basically have two questions.

What is the difference between a forwarder and a channel,

and,

How do I install/use a forwarder.

Thank you.

Solution
A Forwareder is just a shortcut to the apps folder located on the sd or usb drive taking up less space on your wii.

A Channel is the .dol of the homebrew your using fully intergrated so you can still use the app w/o the need to have it installed on the sd or usb drive. or even have it inserted into the wii.

Channels take up more space on wii memory and you have to manually update while a Forwarder takes up less space and is updatable usually by the app itself :)

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Homebrew program is basically a .dol file. Channels have the .dol file saved on the Wii internal Nand. When you click the channel from the system menu it will load from internal memory aka nand. A forwarder will instead redirect the internal memory read commands to read the .dol file from off the sd card. Depending on the forwarder channel you are using (look at the read me) it will tell you where to place the .dol file. The only advantage of using a forwarder IMO is if you are replacing or updating a program more than once a day so you dont have to keep installing a new wad file. Forwarder channels install just like other channels with a wad manager.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
A forwarder uses the SD card--it opens the DOL file and uses that. An actuall channel can run without the sd card in, but it might lose some functionality or added features. For CFG, the main topic on GBAtemp, it has lots of info on the first post, and one is a download link to a hybrid.(ususally works like a forwarder, uses the .dol, but can use the .dol on the NAND) I expect you could get something like that for Wiiflow if you looked for it. You can use a WadManager or Mult-Mod Manager to install the wad.

Games like Just Dance 2 could use a specific IOS maybe?

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Forwareder is just a shortcut to the apps folder located on the sd or usb drive taking up less space on your wii.

A Channel is the .dol of the homebrew your using fully intergrated so you can still use the app w/o the need to have it installed on the sd or usb drive. or even have it inserted into the wii.

Channels take up more space on wii memory and you have to manually update while a Forwarder takes up less space and is updatable usually by the app itself :)

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/qRuNxHqwazs?si=0AhJg_9A8kf-V0iF