digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FYI the booktyping to -r is known. Its the only way to get +R's to reliably work on all wii's. As far as write speeds go... the best speed differs from burner to burner, hence why we keep telling everyone to use dvdinfopro to check burn quality at different speeds to find their best speed. Sorry to burst your bubble, This is why the #1 rule of the forum is read... you coulda saved yourself 3 coasters.

kremonte

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
digitydogs said:
FYI the booktyping to -r is known. Its the only way to get +R's to reliably work on all wii's. As far as write speeds go... the best speed differs from burner to burner, hence why we keep telling everyone to use dvdinfopro to check burn quality at different speeds to find their best speed. Sorry to burst your bubble, This is why the #1 rule of the forum is read... you coulda saved yourself 3 coasters.

Of course it's known, how else would I have found it out? Noone mentioned (in this thread) changing the booktype, so I chimed in with some advice that would have saved me three coasters - you don't exactly wonder why something isn't working before it stops working. For that matter, I didn't even find it out on this forum (after scouring through it for hours - there is no mention of booktyping on any of the stickies, and it's not a term you'd find unless you were looking for it) - I found it out on the second or third page on an obscure google search on some random forum, made by some guy saying something offhandedly.

But I guess things like this are just such obvious, common knowledge that they don't need to be mentioned, not even to those who don't know.

Nelson9937955

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most newbs who don't know any better use +r's.

Anybody worth anything in wii hacking will use -r's because that is the standard and this is what is recommended by EVERYONE worth ANYTHING in this hobby.

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kremonte said:
digitydogs said:

Of course it's known, how else would I have found it out? Noone mentioned (in this thread) changing the booktype, so I chimed in with some advice that would have saved me three coasters - you don't exactly wonder why something isn't working before it stops working. For that matter, I didn't even find it out on this forum (after scouring through it for hours - there is no mention of booktyping on any of the stickies, and it's not a term you'd find unless you were looking for it) - I found it out on the second or third page on an obscure google search on some random forum, made by some guy saying something offhandedly.

But I guess things like this are just such obvious, common knowledge that they don't need to be mentioned, not even to those who don't know.
Funny i know its mentioned in EVERY thread about the backup loaders to date. And its also stated in post 9 on this thread.... Like i said people need to learn to read.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kremonte said:
digitydogs said:

It's also worth mentioning that changing the booktype is not always as easy it was in your case. Most drives ive worked with needed custom firmware in order to change the booktype. Flashing custom firmware isn't a problem, but it's an extra step. Then there are some drives that auto change the booktype and others that can't change the booktype at all (many laptop drives.) It's easier to just pop in a DVD-R and not have to worry with any of that.

Also nobody here has said anything in favor of DVD+Rs other than that they work when the booktype is changed. That doesn't change the fact that it could be slowly damaging the laser. I don't know for sure one way or the other, and id love to hear information on it. I've heard everything from +Rs being fine to +Rs causing meltdowns in the Wii ruining the drive.

kremonte

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
digitydogs said:
Funny i know its mentioned in EVERY thread about the backup loaders to date. And its also stated in post 9 on this thread.... Like i said people need to learn to read.

The one sticky it is mentioned in:
QUOTE said:
Q: Im having trouble finding the book type for my DVD+R could someone tell me where to find the DVD-ROM option is?
A : If you are using Imgbrn i suggest checking this guide for any questions you have : http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/set...burn_page1.html (MainframeF4)

You think that will catch the eye of someone not specifically looking for information about the book type? My bad about it being mentioned in this thread, then again it was posted by somebody with no avatar or signature, the entirety of the post being one and a half lines.

I looked through the thread, didn't see it, and tried to help.
You get on my ass about trying to help somebody.

Get over yourself.

edit:
It's also worth mentioning that changing the booktype is not always as easy it was in your case. Most drives ive worked with needed custom firmware in order to change the booktype. Flashing custom firmware isn't a problem, but it's an extra step. Then there are some drives that auto change the booktype and others that can't change the booktype at all (many laptop drives.) It's easier to just pop in a DVD-R and not have to worry with any of that.
Fair enough - I'd never even heard of booktype prior to needing to change it, but it seems that it was a burning option - not really setting the default for your drive, but just instructing it to specifically burn that DVD+R as DVD-ROM type at the start of the burn. Ah, well /shrug

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rooskie54 said:

Also nobody here has said anything in favor of DVD+Rs other than that they work when the booktype is changed. That doesn't change the fact that it could be slowly damaging the laser. I don't know for sure one way or the other, and id love to hear information on it. I've heard everything from +Rs being fine to +Rs causing meltdowns in the Wii ruining the drive.

Damaging the laser is a myth. The only danger to the laser is bad burns because they will cause both the motor and laser head to have to work harder to try and re-read sections of the disk, resulting in more wear and tear than normal.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kremonte said:
(after scouring through it for hours - there is no mention of booktyping on any of the stickies, and it's not a term you'd find unless you were looking for it) -

Sticky : Wii Loaders issues and answers - Page 1 :

Q : Is DVD+R better than DVD-R ?
A : When burning DVD+R you need to set the booktype to DVD-ROM generally DVD-r is ok as is. DVD REWRITABLES ARE NOT RELIABLE

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Booktyping is also addressed in the Hacking FAQ Wiki....
Now back to the important stuff
smile.gif

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
charlieawesome said:
-R's don't work for me, only +R's work and I have a softmodded wii that I got on launch night. Kimikal sounds like an idiot.
i actually think i am an idiot, but i'm an idiot that is here every day helping ppl,
now you with 25 posts, did you help any one?
plus, find some one else saying that dvd-r does not work for im...

kremonte

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djtaz said:
A : When burning DVD+R you need to set the booktype to DVD-ROM generally DVD-r is ok as is. DVD REWRITABLES ARE NOT RELIABLE

What exactly is the thought process here?

Here's what happened to me yesterday.

I decide, "I want to play ISOs on my Wii."
I go to the forum, and learn that I should use the Twilight Hack, and find a step-by-step for getting HBC installed.
I go to the store, pick up a used copy of Twilight Princess, already have an SD card, just need some blank DVDs.
I go to the shelf. There's a bunch of spindles of various sizes, they all look like blank DVDs to me.
I pick up the package of DVDs that doesn't look like a cat attacked it, and is under twenty bucks.
I go home.
I follow the guide, install HBC via the Twilight Hack. Some prior knowledge and forum reading tells me I now need a backup launcher.
I download and install Backup Launcher Gamma. I also install the cIOS.
I acquire an ISO of a game I would like to play.
I put in a blank DVD that I just bought, open up ImgBurn, and burn on the slowest setting.
The disk goes into the Wii.
DVD Read Error?
Hm, maybe it's the ISO, or maybe it was a bad burn. I try a different disk image on a new DVD.
DVD Read Error (324)
Well, let me search!
"324s are usually because you screwed up installing the cIOS."
OK, I must have screwed up. cIOS gets reinstalled.
DVD Read Error (324)
I read all the stickies. Nothing is mentioning a read error, and if it is, it's relating to the cIOS.
I go to Google. Try a bunch of different searches, nothing - mostly links to threads on GBATemp.
I'm about to give up, and click a random link on a random page of a search result.
Some guy says that it's a pain that, when using DVD+R, he has to change his booktype to DVD-ROM.
I open up ImgBurn, set booktype to DVD-ROM, burn, and spend the next few hours enjoying some video games.

Where in this does "DVD-R vs DVD+R" come into play? You really expect a newcomer (obviously the person the sticky is for) to already know this crap?

I tried to help somebody that seemed to be in the same position that I was in with pictures. Pictures grab attention, and it took me a few minutes to find out how to properly set the book type. I tried to help somebody out, and in return, I get a bunch of you jumping on my dick. Real nice.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kremonte said:
djtaz said:

What exactly is the thought process here?

Here's what happened to me yesterday.

I decide, "I want to play ISOs on my Wii."
I go to the forum, and learn that I should use the Twilight Hack, and find a step-by-step for getting HBC installed.
I go to the store, pick up a used copy of Twilight Princess, already have an SD card, just need some blank DVDs.
I go to the shelf. There's a bunch of spindles of various sizes, they all look like blank DVDs to me.
I pick up the package of DVDs that doesn't look like a cat attacked it, and is under twenty bucks.
I go home.
I follow the guide, install HBC via the Twilight Hack. Some prior knowledge and forum reading tells me I now need a backup launcher.
I download and install Backup Launcher Gamma. I also install the cIOS.
I acquire an ISO of a game I would like to play.
I put in a blank DVD that I just bought, open up ImgBurn, and burn on the slowest setting.
The disk goes into the Wii.
DVD Read Error?
Hm, maybe it's the ISO, or maybe it was a bad burn. I try a different disk image on a new DVD.
DVD Read Error (324)
Well, let me search!
"324s are usually because you screwed up installing the cIOS."
OK, I must have screwed up. cIOS gets reinstalled.
DVD Read Error (324)
I read all the stickies. Nothing is mentioning a read error, and if it is, it's relating to the cIOS.
I go to Google. Try a bunch of different searches, nothing - mostly links to threads on GBATemp.
I'm about to give up, and click a random link on a random page of a search result.
Some guy says that it's a pain that, when using DVD+R, he has to change his booktype to DVD-ROM.
I open up ImgBurn, set booktype to DVD-ROM, burn, and spend the next few hours enjoying some video games.

Where in this does "DVD-R vs DVD+R" come into play? You really expect a newcomer (obviously the person the sticky is for) to already know this crap?

I tried to help somebody that seemed to be in the same position that I was in with pictures. Pictures grab attention, and it took me a few minutes to find out how to properly set the book type. I tried to help somebody out, and in return, I get a bunch of you jumping on my dick. Real nice.

sorry my friend , but there really is loads of posts saying that the dvds for the wii is -r
why do you think every one knows that?

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The thought process is that if people read BEFORE trying things they would already know. Hes just replying to that because you said "It's not mentioned in any of the sticky topics"

Just drop it already.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
digitydogs said:
The thought process is that if people read BEFORE trying things they would already know. Hes just replying to that because you said "It's not mentioned in any of the sticky topics"

Just drop it already.
well, i'm an idiot any way, so might a well answer..

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Come on people lets play nice now, we vented on the noob, so let's go back to being our helpful charming selves before we piss off the mods.

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3