• Total voters

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm curious which game people prefer, exploration-wise; The Wind Waker with its distinct grid, all of which contain a single island or structure along with other features like barrel submarines, Big Octos, watchtower platforms, etc.? Or BotW, with its far more connected open-world, albeit without anything as distinct as TWW, and a lack of treasure maps and other maps (or map markers) to provide general locations as to features - instead relying on players stumbling onto stuff, or placing their own beacons based on what they can see (which makes it easy to overlook things, or for things to be blocked by terrain)?

Reactions: Lostbhoy
Trophies
XP
Being honest, I actually prefer Wind Waker's style of map creation and exploration. It may not be as vast and open as BotW's land-scape, but everything made had active thought and consideration behind it- which could include things like mini-games, heart-pieces, etc. In BotW a lot of the areas just felt like they didn't know what to add, so it would be random ruins, a shrine, or an enemy camp. Which that's fine and all, but in Wind Waker, while there wasn't as much to explore, (almost) everywhere you could go had a purpose, or something to find or do.

Not sure if this makes sense, but while BotW had a more open world, and more stuff to explore; to me, it actually felt more empty than any other Zelda world. But I guess that could just be chalked up to my personal preferences. :P

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's tough to consider, since WW and BOTW came out on two very different console generations with massive differences in what was possible to pull off on each.

WW is probably simpler and easier to understand, and has unique dungeons while BOTW doesn't. But BOTW is just a far more advanced engine on every level - It's way bigger, and you can abuse the engine to pull off amazing feats that are not possible in WW.

Last edited by ScaryHobbit,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it'll give ya time to practice anyway