Gaming Which screen for games like Spirit Tracks?

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
On the DS, games used both screens for the gameplay. In both Zelda games on the DS, the bottom screen was used to move around with the touch screen. I doubt Nintendo would want to make a game like that for the 3DS, because that would mean pretty much all of the main gameplay would be in 2D.

Do you think Nintendo would be willing to use the bottom screen for the main gameplay? I haven't actually seen much of current 3DS games, but from what I've seen, the bottom screen now seems to be just for menus, maps, extra buttons, and things like that. I'd be willing to sacrifice 3D for touch screen gameplay, but would Nintendo want to do this in a system where the 3D is such a big feature? 3D is in the system's name!

Just a thought I had. What do you think?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First things first, the DS Zelda games were not in 2D, it moved on a 3D field.

Second off, 2D Zelda is bad? I didn't know Nintendo would think making a 2D Zelda game would be a bad decision.

Third, it depends. I'm not sure if they'll continue the DS style of Zelda on the 3DS because they want to go "OOOH LOOK 3D" and the bottom screen on the 3DS does not have 3D.

I'm assuming they'll stick with the top screen and primarily buttons like they are in OoT, although they may continue making those shitty DS Zelda games because they sell.

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
When I said most of the gameplay would be in 2D, I meant it wouldn't use the top screen's 3D effect.

And I never said 2D Zelda was bad or anything. I'm not talking about 2D Zelda games at all. I have no problem with them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CompC said:
I don't mean 2D as in 2D vs 3D Zelda, I mean it wouldn't be glassesless 3D, since only the top screen of the 3DS is in 3D.

Oh, my bad. I thought you meant 2D Zelda gameplay like A Link to the Past or something.

Still, probably 3D titles though. It wouldn't surprise me if they just port over Majora's Mask or something. Easier than making a new game and since people are all "OMG N64 ZELDA GAMES OMG", it'll probably sell well.

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Animal Crossing Wild World used the same kind of moving around with the touch screen.

And then there's other things too. Trauma Center couldn't be in 3D. You pretty much need to use the bottom screen for that.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Probably for menus, hopefully for speech bubbles, though ideally they'd use voice actors.

We know Ocarina uses it as the backpack, which I understand remains open the whole time.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I always felt like the touch controls in the ds zeldas were gimmicky and didn't work very well.
Since the 3DS has a nice analog nub, they shouldn't have any problem controlling games like that with the actual buttons.

But yea, games which actually rely on touching stuff directly will need to have the main stuff on the touch screen. But honestly, even on the DS, the amount of good games that NEEDED the main gameplay on the touchscreen were quite low, I think.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well see, the 3DS has analog now. Games in a 3D environment are much more viable on the top screen, and used with the circle pad.

That said, I'd love it if Ninty went megaman on us and made a retro inspired 2D Zelda again. Like Link to the Past but higher res. I'm probably just dreaming.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you seen how Nintendogs works? The dogs are displayed on the top screen whilst an interactive silhouette is on the bottom screen.
More games may work like that in the future.

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I thought of that, but in Zelda, you had to all kinds of things like drawing lines for boomerangs, throwing things, and other things. It'd be kind of hard to do that without the actual things to touch on the bottom screen.

I just started Okamiden. I guess they could do something like that, where the screen slides down and then you draw on the bottom screen. But it has to pause everything…

Maybe a game mechanic where you can switch the screens?

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm glad OoT will rather make use of the top screen, buttons, and motion control (rather than all touch based or mostly)
smile.gif
. That and Link's Awakening DX FTW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: