Hacking Which Slot-1 Flash card?

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, Sorry if this is posted at the wrong section or there was an post telling me which one.
I am thinking of getting an DS lite, and an flash card along with it. But there are so many selections, I don't know which one to choose. There are 3 that I heard are great. The R4, Acekard 2.1 and CycloDS. If there is an better one, then please tell me. The things I am looking for are homebrew compatibility, ROM compatibility (future and present), and durability. Of course cheaper is better.
Currently I am aiming towards an R4 (I will try to find an original one before I buy). I was looking at the Acekard, but I saw the flash card SLOT-1 comparison between those 2 (don't know how outdated they are), but the R4 pulled through. My brother got an R4 recently which I am sure is one of the original and paid $30, and it came with an 2GB toshiba miniSD (shipped from Europe I think). I would go for the CycloDS, but it would be around $60 (shipping with miniSD), which is a bit pricey if the other flash cards can do the same, but unless you guys really recommend it (or found an legit site that will sell one legit (with or without miniSD) for cheaper), then I will consider it.
Thanks in advance.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is extremely old afaik.
tongue.gif
Do you need the extra capabilities of the Cyclo? If not don't get it and get an Acekard. You might consider an EDGE as well. Note: Its micro sd not mini sd. Go gamebygame.com or realhotstuff.com for fast shipping to US or dealextreme.com if you don't mind the long wait. R4s are pretty outdated minus unofficial firmware. Other cards such as the M3 is good too if you want in between (depends how you think in between is)

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, sorry about the typo of the microSD.
What features does the CycloDS offer? I pretty much want to run basic homebrew, durability (one that will last me at least half a year), and current and future ROM support.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, those extras would be useless for me too.
Acekard 2i is compatible with the DS lite too right? Which one would be better for an DS lite?
And about buying the MicroSD cards (thinking of buying them separately), is there anything I should look for to ensure compatibility?

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get at least a 4gb micro sd or more for your needs
tongue.gif
I'd recommend you get at least a class 4, class 6 is better. Yes the 2i is compatible with the lite. I don't know which would be better exactly but if you ever plan to get a dsi go for the 2i.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then should I just get the MicroSD along with the flash card as a bundle?
What card does Real Hot Stuff give with it's bundle? The 4GB bundle costs $31, and the regular costs $19. But if I chose the regular, and adding an 4GB, its going to be $39. So it's $8 cheaper with the bundle, is there a reason? or do they just give you an cheaper MicroSD?

Zantom07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Teny said:
Then should I just get the MicroSD along with the flash card as a bundle?
What card does Real Hot Stuff give with it's bundle? The 4GB bundle costs $31, and the regular costs $19. But if I chose the regular, and adding an 4GB, its going to be $39. So it's $8 cheaper with the bundle, is there a reason? or do they just give you an cheaper MicroSD?

Bundles cost less because of less packaging. The reason being they put the microSD into the cart itself before shipping rather than sending the cart and the microSD.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well, which one do you think I should order?

RealHotStuff - Acekard 2 + 4 GB microSD Bundle - $31 +$4 shipping (USPS first class) from NJ to CO

GamebyGame - AceKard v2.1 + 4gb Combo + GBG Screen Protector and a free charm - $36 (Free shipping 5-7 days, or $4.99 for rush 2-3) CA to CO

So they both would cost about the same considering I would get getting a screen protector anyways. Which one would you guys go with? Also, these sites don't sell fake microSD or flash cards right? I am getting tired of buying mem sticks that die out within a month because it's fake.
Thank You.

EDIT - is there a site that tells me what Rom or homebrew is fully compatible (or not) with the flash cards?

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say go with RealHotStuff. I ordered from them once, and everything went perfectly, no fake SD card or anything.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked RealHotStuff what card they supplied with the combo, and they said the standard Sandisk 4GB.

Golfman560 said:
Don't go with the SD card combos. You can easily get the same Micro SD from Newegg for about 1/2 the price and usually free shipping.

Like that Kingston 4GB I posted above? I would go for it, but the only free shipping method is the egg saver, and that usually takes months to arrive. The only way to get free shipping with UPS would be if I were to buy something that makes the total weight weigh more than the egg saver maximum weight. It's only about $2-$3 more, so I think I would go with the combo. They would come at the same time, and I don't have to keep track on both products.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Teny said:
I asked RealHotStuff what card they supplied with the combo, and they said the standard Sandisk 4GB.

Golfman560 said:
Don't go with the SD card combos. You can easily get the same Micro SD from Newegg for about 1/2 the price and usually free shipping.

Like that Kingston 4GB I posted above? I would go for it, but the only free shipping method is the egg saver, and that usually takes months to arrive. The only way to get free shipping with UPS would be if I were to buy something that makes the total weight weigh more than the egg saver maximum weight. It's only about $2-$3 more, so I think I would go with the combo. They would come at the same time, and I don't have to keep track on both products.

I've ordered from gamebygame, they are very fast(2 days from Cali to Chicago) and everything is packed well.
Check out these:
Acekard 2.1i http://www.gamebygame.com/index.php?target...roduct_id=29817
Edge http://www.gamebygame.com/index.php?target...roduct_id=29813

Just remember you can get the same setup for half the price by ordering from Dealextreme and newegg for the memory, but like you said there is some waiting involved.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamebygame told me that the bundle comes with an Sandisk too. So I guess they both are about the same. Looks like I will be getting one soon along with an DS lite.
Should I really get the Acekard 2i? especially since I don't plan on getting an 2i unless the DS lite broke, and they weren't selling them anymore.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the 2i is only $5 more than the 2.1, but if they perform exactly the same, then it would be better to get the 2.1 IMO.
But I will still consider getting the 2i, would be nice if something happened, and I ended up getting an DSi, then I wouldn't have to buy an new flash card. I want an DS lite because of the backwards compatibility and I like the Crimson Red color (it's exactly the same color as my PSP case along with my red PSP
happy.gif
)

Thank you everyone that helped, and if I have more questions, I will ask.
Are we allowed to double post btw?

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Teny said:
Gamebygame told me that the bundle comes with an Sandisk too. So I guess they both are about the same. Looks like I will be getting one soon along with an DS lite.
Should I really get the Acekard 2i? especially since I don't plan on getting an 2i unless the DS lite broke, and they weren't selling them anymore.

Remember that gamebygame has free shipping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right... +1