Misc Wi-fi USB Connector/Wi-fi Network Adapter Questions...

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I'm going to buy a USB Connector for my NDS. I have one question; will the connector bypass WPA2 encryption in a network?

If no, should I purchase a Wi-fi Network Adapter instead? (To those who don't know what that is, google it, or see this page: http://gizmodo.com/5046599/nintendo-wi+fi-...ind-of-adapter). To anyone who may own it (the network adapter), would this work in Europe as a bridge for the NDS to bypass WPA2?

I know the questions are a little tech-y, but any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

EDIT: My bad, I was supposed to post this in the NDS section. Any mods who can move this thread to the correct section will also be appreciated.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
youre not using your wireless network at all when you use the usb adapter.

adapter plugs into pc, pc gets internet from wherever *wired/wireless, doesnt matter* connection gets sent to your ds.

the wifi network adapter is just a wireless router, pointless if you already have one. not to mention you can just get a second wireless router anywhere cheaper and better than that thing.

both of them work to bridge the network together, it just depends on if you want a pc running all the time.
If youre worried about security, just get a second router, set it to open or wpa, and block all ports that the DS doesnt use.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
So the ABSOLUTE best option is to wire in a second router with no encryption? Sounds plausible for me and my wallet. But I live in an apartment, so could my neighbors steal my bandwidth if I purchase and connect a second router? I'm just wondering to see if it affects anything by having a second router.

PS: Does anyone else have personal experience with using 2 routers?

Thanks for the answers,

Simon

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simon_003 said:
So the ABSOLUTE best option is to wire in a second router with no encryption? Sounds plausible for me and my wallet. But I live in an apartment, so could my neighbors steal my bandwidth if I purchase and connect a second router? I'm just wondering to see if it affects anything by having a second router.

PS: Does anyone else have personal experience with using 2 routers?

Thanks for the answers,

Simon

You could do a little research and find out what ports the wii uses in games and then limit the router to use just those ports. 99% of people will give up right away when they find out they can't browse any webpages. Also setting up the router to only connect to the wii's mac address will block most people.
People will always say theres way around this, and thats right. But the type of people who can circumvent wireless protection probably have their own internet access.

Ess_uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I changed the region of my 3.3k Korean Wii to 3.2U using Kavid's guides successfully. The chip I use is a "Flatmii" in standalone, no drive connected!!!

This was all offline installation and things have been running beautifully so far (punch-out, conduit, virtua tennis including wii motion plus video, Madworld via adding required WADs thru wad manager, everything!).

I thought I had removed all of the remnants of the Korean system files (removed Korean shop/weather/mii channels and replaced with U.S versions).

However, I think I was wrong. I have just tried to connect to wifi for the 1st time thru my spanking new Nintendo usb wifi adaptor to be met with nintendo wi-fi registration tool displaying my wii with Korean symbols before the time ie:

"console name 2009-07-16 오전02:17"

Any ideas if it's safe to connect it up??? Obviously, don't want a brick....

update: realised my netbook was in Korean language for local settings. Changed it and took my DS online with the adaptor. Everything fine. Will have one more look through my wii files to check for Korean traces... then will try online tomorrow. Just panicking a bit. really dnt need a brick. Will also look into installing some kind of brick protection too preloader??? bootmii??? really dnt understand all this lol... thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3