Hardware Wierd broken wii

grubbymitts

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I now have two wiis because this happened on my birthday and I was damned if I was going to wait for a repair when there was a shiny copy of Mario Kart to play.

So, here's the story.

I have an unmodded wii. The only "dodgy" thing I'd ever done on it was run the twilight hack and played on the Rin gb emulator. I get Mario Kart for my birthday and load it up. It works fine, but after I finished a few races I left it on the choose a profile page for an hour whilst I did other things. I came back and the game had froze. The music was playing, but the graphics and pointer were froze. The disc still came out, but no other action could be performed.

I turned it off at the plug and turned it on again. The wii appeared to be dead. I tried again and it came to life. But ever since then if I put in a disc the game may load up a little way before freezing completely. Sometimes it will be fine - but only with none graphical intensive games like Warioware.

I thought it may be a drive error, so I managed to get Twilight Princess to load up and used the hack to load the wad installer and tried a game that I knew wasn't accessing the dvd drive. It installed the game and I could play it, but after about 5 mins, the wii froze again.

Resetting the Wii, I discovered the Internet channel refused to load, but the shop channel did. The Mii channel froze after it had loaded in.

I formatted the Wii and tried the mii channel again - same freezing problems. Strangely, the music still plays on everything that freezes.

The Wii is out of warranty and Nintendo won't give me an idea on what may be the problem and, more importantly, how much to fix it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking knackered GPU. I'm not too fussed as my other Wii is working splendidly now anyway, but it's still annoying.

Cheers,

Mitts.

pokemongalaxy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey mitts,
Im sure your wii was somehow defective involving graphics and such. Even though it was out of warranty, couldnt you have paid nintendo $50 for a repair?I mean isnt cheaper than getting a $300wii?

mastermanna123

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
pokemongalaxy said:
Hey mitts,
Im sure your wii was somehow defective involving graphics and such. Even though it was out of warranty, couldnt you have paid nintendo $50 for a repair?I mean isnt cheaper than getting a $300wii?
Yea i agree with u.
even if ur waranty is out, that just means they wont fix it for free. it'll probably take around $50 to fix it instead of gettin a completely new wii for a lot more.
lecture.gif

grubbymitts

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Remember, it was my birthday and I did want to play the new game and I wasn't prepared to wait X amount of weeks to get it back...eek! And I'm not that bad off, so buying a new Wii wasn't too much of a deal for me. Anyway, I am thinking of sending it back now and then keeping it as a spare (gotta have one to play around with homebrew and risk bricking
smile.gif
)

I'm fairly sure it'll cost me more than $50 though, I live in ripoff UK

grubbymitts

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not that I know of. I think I will send it back, along with this knackered laptop! (damn screen keeps flickering). I've had the return label for a bit now, so this week I shall pop down to the post office with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack