Hacking Wii backup loader......looks real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
An ISO loader would be something that would load an unaltered image of the disc.

An APPLoader would be what Waninkoko's app will be. You load an APPLICATION, not the ISO... since the disc is modified, it's not longer a true ISO.

The terms I'm using are not computer terms, but console terms. Yes, there is a difference. ISO is just a file extention on a computer. If you change it to .zip, .rar, or even .7z, you can open it with the releated programs if it's a PC/MAC ISO. Now, try doing that to a 360 or Wii disc... won't work... different format. It's only labled ISO because it's the common name.

Now that that is out of the way, I will leave you all in good faith, and allow my wife to do her schoolwork for the day.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
an ISO is a DVD game image, nothing more
an ISO loader would need to launch the main program (dol) out of the image file from a device (USB/SD) but also simulates DVD accesses with the device file system (for example a USB ISO loader would redirect all DVD accesses into USB access), will all the incompatibilty problems it involves)

a "backup loader" also launch the main dol but read it from the DVD directly. the difficulty is is to be able to read a DV-R without a modchip (which DI layer allows you to do) and to change all original DVD access in the game with DI access functions

I imagine there is a bunch of thing to make these things work correctly but this is the basic idea

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
zidane_genome said:
An ISO loader would be something that would load an unaltered image of the disc.

An APPLoader would be what Waninkoko's app will be. You load an APPLICATION, not the ISO... since the disc is modified, it's not longer a true ISO.

The terms I'm using are not computer terms, but console terms. Yes, there is a difference. ISO is just a file extention on a computer. If you change it to .zip, .rar, or even .7z, you can open it with the releated programs if it's a PC/MAC ISO. Now, try doing that to a 360 or Wii disc... won't work... different format. It's only labled ISO because it's the common name.

Now that that is out of the way, I will leave you all in good faith, and allow my wife to do her schoolwork for the day.

wrong...
ISO is a standard file format for CD and DVD images.
a file extension is just something that allow you to easly identify file types, and is used by MS Windows based OSes to associate filetypes with applications in an easy way.

you can even change the file extensions (the 3 letters of a file) and keep on opening it with the right application, what identify a file format is the first bytes of it called file type signature.

if you can open an iso using winrar or 7zip or winzip, is just becouse these programs are able to handle this file format.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't think iso was for cd but i could be wrong....it's just a file format guys, and since when did a file extention have anything to do with a file, except for your own purpose, to easily identify it...content doesn't change, and filename also doesnt effect content...it's what windows keeps for you to look at the data

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Woah!
How did the talk of what an ISO come up?
An ISO is just an image file type.
Since Waninkoko is here.
Can you tell us how the work on the nackup loader is coming along, if you can?
Also, Could you be able to release the bets version while we wait for the full version?
(I know the beta version is limited to some games, but it should keep me occupied while I wait)

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LAA said:
Woah!
Since Waninkoko is here.
Also, Could you be able to release the bets version while we wait for the full version?
(I know the beta version is limited to some games, but it should keep me occupied while I wait)

Beta version would be nice
biggrin.gif

plus we could back up various games, and "test" them for you to see what works and what doesnt?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sstew said:
LAA said:
Woah!
Since Waninkoko is here.

biggrin.gif

plus we could back up various games, and "test" them for you to see what works and what doesnt?
If he is going to release a beta version, it's not because you guys convinced him. Really.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
if it was a metter of how dvd content is written to the disk, it would be easly solved by making a DD (bit to bit) image of the disk.

but it's not that.
the problem is that a printed dvd contains a portion of data wich can't be rewritten to a dvd-r/+r ecc....
that part, contains a signature wich allows the wii to identify if the dvd is original or not.

generally copy protections relay on that...
or for pc games they relay on how sectors are big and how long the laser takes to read a particular bit in the original dvds.. (this is the particular case of securom)
all factors that go lost even by making a sector by sector copy of a disc to a dvd-r.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
LAA said:
Woah!
Since Waninkoko is here.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, that would be good for that too.
Maybe not for us, but it helps evryone else.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope that this is not released. I think it would be the worse thing possible for the Wii and Nintendo.

I prefer there be checks and balances for this type of things. It shouldn't be that every Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to do this. There should be a road block to keep people from pirating (yes this is pirating, don't wanna hear, ohh I have this backed up because my dog eats videogames, blah blah blah).

Not everyone knows how to chip a Wii, or even where to go to chip a Wii. Some people are afraid that it may ruin their system, which in the long run is a good thing. If it become so easy to play copied games that someone can put up a small file, and directions on how to dump and burn a Wii game,, it will really be bad.

Even R4 cards on the NDS wasn't this bad. Yes, it is easy to buy a flashcard and dl the games. But you would still need to know where to buy this card from. Then give your Credit Card number to a company who does shady business. That still scared people. It isn't like everyone can get these cards at their local store.

Even on the PSP, there was always a fear that you may brick your PSP, even though it has gotten easier recently. And we all see how that business has been effected.

So I say don't release this. It will only hurt the Wii in the long run. Maybe I am old school in this thinking.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
Sstew said:
LAA said:
Woah!
Since Waninkoko is here.

biggrin.gif

If he is going to release a beta version, it's not because you guys convinced him. Really.

Yeah, I know, but Hey it was worth a shot
tongue.gif

I guess I could wait a week or 2 longer.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
Maikel Steneker said:
Sstew said:
LAA said:
Woah!
Since Waninkoko is here.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know, but Hey it was worth a shot
tongue.gif

I guess I could wait a week or 2 longer.

Yeah, might aswell try.
We just wanna let waninkoko hear our opinion. (He has now mysteriously disappeared of the forums, could he be uploading something or is he working on the Backup loader...)
Sstew, you're an example to us all.
I just cant wait any longer.
I'll be thinking about it everyday, then looking at his website to see if it's been uploaded, too hard to wait 2 weeks, its like thinking you've won the lottery and have to wait 2 weeks to get the money (not that would happen, but imagine the excitement)

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
alucard77 said:
I really hope that this is not released. I think it would be the worse thing possible for the Wii and Nintendo.

I prefer there be checks and balances for this type of things. It shouldn't be that every Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to do this. There should be a road block to keep people from pirating (yes this is pirating, don't wanna hear, ohh I have this backed up because my dog eats videogames, blah blah blah).

Not everyone knows how to chip a Wii, or even where to go to chip a Wii. Some people are afraid that it may ruin their system, which in the long run is a good thing. If it become so easy to play copied games that someone can put up a small file, and directions on how to dump and burn a Wii game,, it will really be bad.

Even R4 cards on the NDS wasn't this bad. Yes, it is easy to buy a flashcard and dl the games. But you would still need to know where to buy this card from. Then give your Credit Card number to a company who does shady business. That still scared people. It isn't like everyone can get these cards at their local store.

Even on the PSP, there was always a fear that you may brick your PSP, even though it has gotten easier recently. And we all see how that business has been effected.

So I say don't release this. It will only hurt the Wii in the long run. Maybe I am old school in this thinking.
I disagree. Say what you want about everyone going to use this to pirate their games, but the fact remains that the possibility of bricking a Wii is still there. In fact, many people don't even dare to install the Twilight Hack because they are afraid it might destroy their Wii. Installing a Twilight Hack, a Homebrew Channel and some modified firmware parts might be free, but it's still not user friendly at all.

I think a lot of people would rather buy a DSTT-like solution for 10 bucks and install nothing.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned that downloading some files to an SD-card is a lot easier than patching and burning a game. Just saying.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:

This isn't going to be the worst anything for the Wii or Nintendo. Will it hurt software sales? Maybe. Will it cause Nintendo and the Wii to go under? Hell no.

Wii isn't going anywhere. Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Sega will not say "oh no Wii pirates it's time to close up shop!". It's not going to happen now or ever. It hasn't happened before (psx, xbox, nds, etc) and it's not going to happen now.

Just more rampant speculation and garbage talk by the uninformed children of gbatemp

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
alucard77 said:

Honestly, i really think that chipping a wii is easier and more safe becouse, and of course more diffuse becouse:

1) everyone know about the existence of modchips (don't lie about it)
2) since you know that they exist, you also know where to buy one.
3) if you are scared to install it yourself there are tons of shops doing it for money.
4) if you went to a shop for the installation, you can 90% of the times relay on the shop for future problems.
5) modchips are tested and now it's a long time they are sold and are known to be pretty safe if you don't do bullshit
6) total easy of use, just pick up a burned game, insert it, and play.. totally plug and PLAY.

instead a softmod is more for experts or geeks becouse:
1) you have to be able to use a PC in a nearly advanced way.
2) you need to know where to find the software you need to apply a softmod (hacks, exploits, channels etc)
3) you are watching out to something completely new and untested.
4) you have to know and understand what an IOS is, what is a custom IOS, how to install it, how to install homebrew channel, patch an iso, run an homebrew on your wii, with all the risk of bricking your wii if you do something wrong.
5) oh and also, tell a kid that to play a copied game he has to firstly start the homebrew channel, then run the backup loader, then a scary black screen with white text appears, and then tons of numbers and writing keeps on appearing.. and finally the game starts...

and after all of that, you still don't know if you will be able to play all the games released due to compatibility issues.

Jibib

Trophies
Website
www.nitroclan.freeforums.org
XP
Country
atomikramp said:
alucard77 said:

Honestly, i really think that chipping a wii is easier and more safe becouse, and of course more diffuse becouse:

3) if you are scared to install it yourself there are tons of shops doing it for money.
4) if you went to a shop for the installation, you can 90% of the times relay on the shop for future problems.
5) modchips are tested and now it's a long time they are sold and are known to be pretty safe if you don't do bullshit
6) total easy of use, just pick up a burned game, insert it, and play.. totally plug and PLAY.

2) you need to know where to find the software you need to apply a softmod (hacks, exploits, channels etc)
4) you have to know and understand what an IOS is, what is a custom IOS, how to install it, how to install homebrew channel, patch an iso, run an homebrew on your wii, with all the risk of bricking your wii if you do something wrong.

Err i have a chipped Wii and i installed the Custom IOS and the Homebrew channel etc.. so What i am? Half - Geek ? xD

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Jibib said:
atomikramp said:
alucard77 said:

Err i have a chipped Wii and i installed the Custom IOS and the Homebrew channel etc.. so What i am? Half - Geek ? xD

at least not a total newbie user who just know how to turn on the console and plug a dvd in to play.

somewhre you had to document yourself about the existence of this stuff, learn where you can get it, understand how it works...

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
atomikramp said:

1) everyone know about the existence of modchips (don't lie about it) - WRONG
2) since you know that they exist, you also know where to buy one. - WRONG
3) if you are scared to install it yourself there are tons of shops doing it for money. - WRONG
4) if you went to a shop for the installation, you can 90% of the times relay on the shop for future problems. - WRONG
5) modchips are tested and now it's a long time they are sold and are known to be pretty safe if you don't do bullshit - WRONG
6) total easy of use, just pick up a burned game, insert it, and play.. totally plug and PLAY. - WRONG

1) you have to be able to use a PC in a nearly advanced way. - WRONG
2) you need to know where to find the software you need to apply a softmod (hacks, exploits, channels etc) - WRONG
3) you are watching out to something completely new and untested. - WRONG
4) you have to know and understand what an IOS is, what is a custom IOS, how to install it, how to install homebrew channel, patch an iso, run an homebrew on your wii, with all the risk of bricking your wii if you do something wrong. - WRONG
5) oh and also, tell a kid that to play a copied game he has to firstly start the homebrew channel, then run the backup loader, then a scary black screen with white text appears, and then tons of numbers and writing keeps on appearing.. and finally the game starts... - LOL (/sarcasm)

and after all of that, you still don't know if you will be able to play all the games released due to compatibility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hear ya. You got a dope handheld coming soon, that should at least tingle those dingles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably look like ass with Gamepass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Crazy, I remember posing for that one, towelie was messed up in that shoot.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Must have edited him in post, he looks fine there.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's true, both our eyes are straight white, and we know better
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're a towel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No, you're a towel
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No you're a towel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you're a......wut. Wanna get hjgh?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Crazy people actually spend $50 on that stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tempsuits