Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everyone will just have to stay on 4.0 or 4.1 just like everyone stayed on 3.2 until there was another hack found. It will take a long time for Wiis with 4.2 (if ever) to show up in stores, so hacking new ones won't be a big deal.

The main concern is that if Ninty is taking this direct shot at homebrew/piracy, they may start doing other stuff. Like requiring 4.2 for WFC, or new games.

Yyhhggtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kratozero said:
Correct me if i am wrong, but as far as i can see, they only updated IOS above 56, so if we still have our modified IOS 35 or 36, with the trucha bug active, we could potentially install Cios again.
The only problem is that HBC and Bannerbomb are dead, right?, anyone suggest it is time to buy Lego Indiana Jones?
if NTSC and have SSBB: use SSBB xploit.
if PAL and have SSBB: get Indiana jones LEGO game...

Posts merged

QUOTE(Retrievil @ Sep 28 2009, 09:08 PM) Everyone will just have to stay on 4.0 or 4.1 just like everyone stayed on 3.2 until there was another hack found. It will take a long time for Wiis with 4.2 (if ever) to show up in stores, so hacking new ones won't be a big deal.

The main concern is that if Ninty is taking this direct shot at homebrew/piracy, they may start doing other stuff. Like requiring 4.2 for WFC, or new games.
the WFC part of your post is the most horrible thing nintendo can do to me. Mario Kart WIi without WFC sux.

I
need
W
F
C

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go buy your Wii consoles now boys and girls.....new consoles will surely be shipped with v4.2.

Luckily I have two units, both boot2 bootmii and on v4.1U. And that's exactly where they'll stay forever
smile.gif

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
Everyone will just have to stay on 4.0 or 4.1 just like everyone stayed on 3.2 until there was another hack found. It will take a long time for Wiis with 4.2 (if ever) to show up in stores, so hacking new ones won't be a big deal.

Preloader.

Yyhhggtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrBubbles said:
Retrievil said:

Preloader.
to bad preloader is stopped at 4.2 due to IOS70 being the system menu... time for preloader 3.0

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sucks, I remember it took a while for 4.0 to finally cave in. We had Starfall temporary fix until Preloader got updated.

Thankfully the only worthwhile games for me this year are 1 or 2 Wii games (buying) so hopefully this shouldn't pose a problem until 2010 Wii games.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, chances are if you block disc updates somehow and also update/install IOS when neccesary using WADs from the discs or NUSD, you can play any new games that come out.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MrBubbles said:
Retrievil said:

Preloader.

What good would preloader be even if it did work on a 4.2 system? You have no HBC to launch anything with it, no bootmii to restore a pre 4.2 backup, no CIOS to allow directly running a dol like wadmanager. It would be absolutely useless.

It might help people like us who have it by skipping disc update checks in new games, but I can think of tons of ways that can be defeated by nintendo. All they have to do is some really simple checking of the files on the system to shoot that down.

Like I said what worries me about this update is it specifically targets 222, 223, and 249 which as far I know they have not done in the past. The only thing Nintendo has ever done to stop homebrew or piracy is close the TP hole. This goes a lot farther than that, and I'm thinking there will be more to it.

Yyhhggtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
Well, chances are if you block disc updates somehow and also update/install IOS when neccesary using WADs from the discs or NUSD, you can play any new games that come out.
thats true

some people will think
"Whats this IOS70? IMA DELETE IT FOR MORE BLOCKZ ON MY WII!!!!" and is on 4.2....

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
IOS202 (MPlayer CE / cIOS USB 2.0) was not blocked by the update.
wink.gif

If you have that installed, you'd probably be able to restore your homebrew.

Yyhhggtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
wink.gif
At least some good news >.>, thanks!

And it got me thinking... If I update... but having a bootmii nand backup to go back... you cant because it is blocked..........

Is 222/223 gone?

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of your are flat out overreacting. In many ways, this update is no different than any other update.

1. You can still use tools to prevent your wii from updating itself. Preloader and Starpatch or whatever it is they have for 4.0 and 4.1 are examples.
2. You can still install IOS's if games absolutely require them. You still don't need to update the system menu. And you can still probably run almost anything from the custom IOS still.
3. For those of you concerned about new Wii's, there have been exploits found to deal with issues for a while now. Bannerbomb, Smashstack, Indiana Pwns for exploits, and things like Trucha Bug Restorer for cIOS purposes. I'm sure this one will be dealt with given time as well.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Weird...they left the only non-piracy IOS, but didn't leave the Homebrew Channel, so you can't use it. My guess is they left it because it wasn't a piracy threat.

What's even more laughable is that even with all these updates, the worst that happens is there'll be a higher demand for mod chips....

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked through the Wiimpersonator logs and noticed that they also updated earlier versions of IOS, such as IOS36. Someone with an updated Wii should see if Smash Stack still works.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually pretty surprised that they block 222/223. Hermes cIOS is not nearly as popular as Waninkoko's. Seems somebody at Nintendo has been doing their homework.

Still, you really can't blame them for trying to protect their assets. Even tho the HBC is considered not to be a piracy tool, it still is in an indirect way...with its use to load up backup loaders and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I am a pirate through and through
smile.gif
But, I can see their standpoint, especially with the holidays coming up and the potential to have some serious success this year.

No matter what they do however, it still will not stop the hardcore.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
s3phir0th115 said:
Some of your are flat out overreacting. In many ways, this update is no different than any other update.

1. You can still use tools to prevent your wii from updating itself. Preloader and Starpatch or whatever it is they have for 4.0 and 4.1 are examples.
2. You can still install IOS's if games absolutely require them. You still don't need to update the system menu. And you can still probably run almost anything from the custom IOS still.
3. For those of you concerned about new Wii's, there have been exploits found to deal with issues for a while now. Bannerbomb, Smashstack, Indiana Pwns for exploits, and things like Trucha Bug Restorer for cIOS purposes. I'm sure this one will be dealt with given time as well.

OMG THE SKY IS FALLING AND MIYAMOTO WILL COME TO EVERYONE'S HOUSE AND INSTALL 4.2 WHILE WE SLEEP !1!!1!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4