Hacking Wii softmod, advice needed

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all,

I started modding my Wii last night and its now 8.00 the next day. I seem to be having over looked a step somewhere, now I'm not asking you to show me how to do it (thats half the fun) but rather to point me in the right direction.

Mod done so far:

I have got Bootmii installed (don't know why any more, it was recommended and I thought It would help play my backups. )
I also have the Homebrew channel installed.
Finally I have firmware 3.4E running on my Wii.

So here is where I need your advice, I would like to be able to play my backup but I don't know how to do so, I have tried downloading gecko os but that program tells me "No DVD" when I try boot a backup. What steps would you take in getting this system to boot backed up games.

Dave,

Additional information

I have read you need to burn backups onto DVD - R not DVD + R and at 4x speed, correct?
my system reports being at IOS51 why have I read that it is important to change this, Is that a reason why my backups wont load?

natemckn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Greenrat55 said:
Hey all,

I started modding my Wii last night and its now 8.00 the next day. I seem to be having over looked a step somewhere, now I'm not asking you to show me how to do it (thats half the fun) but rather to point me in the right direction.

Mod done so far:

I have got Bootmii installed (don't know why any more, it was recommended and I thought It would help play my backups. )
I also have the Homebrew channel installed.

So here is where I need your advice, I would like to be able to play my backup but I don't know how to do so, I have tried downloading gecko os but that program tells me "No DVD" when I try boot a backup. What steps would you take in getting this system to boot backed up games.

Dave,

Additional information

I have read you need to burn backups onto DVD - R not DVD + R and at 4x speed, correct?
my system reports being at IOS51 why have I read that it is important to change this, Is that a reason why my backups wont load?

Bootmii: Did you install it to boot2? if so, your wii is practically brick-proof IF you make a NAND backup now. Once you make the backup, you have have it bypass bootmii on startup but it will always be there in case something goes wrong and you have to restore that backup.

Backups: Did you install a cIOS? I have not used Gecko OS, but if its like every other backup loader, it requires a cIOS in order to function.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bootmii will help you recover from a brick. You can use it to make a full copy of your wii's nand (the internal flash memory). If you brick your Wii, you can restore that backup. This will only really work if you've installed bootmii as boot2.
To get backups running, you'll need to install a cios.

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thc42O said:

No need to comment if you have nothing to say mate. Did you read all of my post or just assume I was looking for someone to spell it out for me, I said "I'm not asking you to show me how to do it (that's half the fun) but rather to point me in the right direction." NatemcKN seems to be doing just that.

There are many tutorials out there and they all have different steps which I have found confusing

I've read this one http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/721252

this one http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/706332

this one http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/773505#4683128

his one http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113

And countless others.

Oh look at that kedest seems to be helping too... thc42O, piss off.

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks natemckn, kedest. a CIOS you say,

from what I've read these appear to be variations of the wii's OS which are specific to each game. Is there a particular one I need to install ? I asume its a case of using a wad manager to do this.

If I do install a CIOS (does C stand for custom) will I loose my ability to play normal non-backed up games on my Wii?

Thanks again.

natemckn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Greenrat55 said:
Thanks natemckn, kedest. a CIOS you say,

from what I've read these appear to be variations of the wii's OS which are specific to each game. Is there a particular one I need to install ? I asume its a case of using a wad manager to do this.

If I do install a CIOS (does C stand for custom) will I loose my ability to play normal non-backed up games on my Wii?

Thanks again.

yup, c is for custom. You keep all your original IOSs so all your normal games work fine and you install a modified IOS (cIOS) to an unused slot (usually as IOS 249). Then applications like your backup launcher can use this modified IOS to boot backups because IOS 249 doesnt look for the copy protection

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, cIOS doesn't replace anything in your Wii, but instead installs alongside the existing bits of firmware (or IOS's). Your Wii will run just like before, but with the added benefit of being able to run the various backup loader apps.

As for which one to install, you may as well go to Rev13 like the guy above me said. Follow one of the guides that talks about it.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
cios rev10 will work fine for you, since you're just planning on running backups from DVD instead of USB

rev12, 13a and b seem to be having issues for some people.

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks natemckn,

What did you use to install the cIOS, I have WAD Manager installed on my HBC, will that do it? also, how do I choose where to place the ISO? is this automatic, it just chooses a free slot, increments by one and installs there.

Thanks for the Link Polada, I'll DL now.

natemckn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Greenrat55 said:
Thanks natemckn,

What did you use to install the cIOS, I have WAD Manager installed on my HBC, will that do it? also, how do I choose where to place the ISO? is this automatic, it just chooses a free slot, increments by one and installs there.

Its recommended that you install the cIOS using the installer that it comes with. Rev 10 works well, and personally I have had no problems with rev 12. Rev 13 a and b make you reboot the wii after you quit a game, otherwise it will freeze up.
rev 10: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zdztqgmtnyn
rev 12: http://www.mediafire.com/?vyetytzgjdy

Download it and rename to boot.dol and put it in its own folder inside of sd:/apps/
boot up the homebrew channel and run it
You have the choice of network install or wad install.
If you have wifi on your wii, network is easy.
if not, you need to do some googling for a certain wad file, it will tell you in the readme. That wad goes in teh the root of the sd card and you can select wad install.
It will ask you where to install it, the default is in IOS 249 and thats what you want

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Greenrat55 said:

First of all, make sure bootmii (installed via hackmii installer v.0.2) is installed in boot2 AND you have made a backup of your nand on sd and transfered the nand.bin to a safe place on your pc.

After this simply follow the ultimate guide and you'll have a fully softmodded wii in about an hour.

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
natemckn said:
Greenrat55 said:
Thanks natemckn,

Its recommended that you install the cIOS using the installer that it comes with. Rev 10 works well, and personally I have had no problems with rev 12. Rev 13 a and b make you reboot the wii after you quit a game, otherwise it will freeze up.

Download it and rename to boot.dol and put it in its own folder inside of sd:/apps/
if not, you need to do some googling for a certain wad file, it will tell you in the readme. That wad goes in teh the root of the sd card and you can select wad install.
It will ask you where to install it, the default is in IOS 249 and thats what you want

OK man, I think were nearly there, On the first screen its asking "Select IOS version to use for installation: it then gives IOS36 which can be changed with the "-" "+" keys" What do I set this to?

natemckn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Greenrat55 said:
natemckn said:
Greenrat55 said:
Thanks natemckn,

OK man, I think were nearly there, On the first screen its asking "Select IOS version to use for installation: it then gives IOS36 which can be changed with the "-" "+" keys" What do I set this to?

Try it with 36, but im not sure. I forget what IOS have the bug that allows this in 3.x. It cant hurt to try using 36. Worst case the installation fails

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any one know what to here? I read the guide and It seems to say install to 249 but mine only goes to 51, backmiiup (within BootMii) doesnt seem to want to backup, it says failed -2 or something like that.

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
natemckn said:
Greenrat55 said:
natemckn said:
Greenrat55 said:
Thanks natemckn,

Try it with 36, but im not sure. I forget what IOS have the bug that allows this in 3.x. It cant hurt to try using 36. Worst case the installation fails

Thanks man, I'll give that a go, brb

Greenrat55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey natemckn, I tried 36 and 38 and both give "Install ERROR! ret = -2011" Any ideas?

Does this have something to do with firmware version 3.4E? I feel like i read that somewhere...... Not sure.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If that doesn't work you can just follow the offline portion of the ultimate guide posted here a couple times. Just follow that up to step 10 (steps 1-3, A-B, and 9-10) and you'll have cIOS rev10 installed on your wii which is enough to run backups.

Alternatively you can google and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad through wad manager and then use wad manager 1.4 to use IOS16 and install cios_fix.wad and then run a cIOS installer. In essence they're the same thing. The ultimate guide just does it with IOS35. You basically just need to get a vulnerable IOS to use to install cios_fix.wad which is basically just a cIOS in wad form that just puts some form of it in IOS249 to make running more recent installers easier.

Also, GeckoOS is not a backup launcher. Well I think they have one version that is, the 002 fix one or something. But generally it's not what's used for backup launching. It's generally more used for legit original copies of imported games or for like loading cheats through original games for like brawl+ and what not. Use either the gamma 0.3 loader or neogamma (more recent modification of gamma 0.3) for backups. Or if you have some extra space on an external hard drive look into the plethora of usb loaders floating around and try those out.

Edit: If you want to fully upgrade yourself properly to 4.0 with all IOS's you need, you can follow the online portion of the guide once you finish step 10 of the offline guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4