• Start date
  • Views 5,331
  • Replies 38

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only one who can't see the problem with this?...

External USB HDDs are much cheaper (per GB) than SD cards anyway and it's not like the Wii U will consume the entire drive.

If anything I think it's great that Nintendo are allowing us to use our own HDDs I have loads of spare storage in this form and it saves me having to buy a load of expensive SD cards that get lost very quickly. :L

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That seems like a weird limitation. If they can be stored on a USB HDD, why can't they be stored on the SD card? Anyway this makes me glad I preordered the deluxe version.

It's not a big deal, it just doesn't make much sense.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's mostly because of read and write speeds, the Wii U reads disks at 22.5 MB/s or 150x, which is incredibly fast. There's no way SD cards will reach that, class 10 is only 10MB/s. A harddrive can reach the required speed with ease.
For reference the PS3's disk media are read at 9MB/s.

this is probably why.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
did the ps3 allow u to save psn games to external usb hard disks?

Not that I know off with OFW, but then again, the PS3 HDDs are pretty big now compared to the WiiU storage (not counting the 12 GB model). Hopefully the whole console can be run with games from the HDD. Personally I'd even love to see a backup to disc-option, but that'll probably never happen.

SD is no dealbreaker. Not like you'd actually install WiiU games on flash anyways.. SD swapping for different games? No thanks :P

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean wii shop titles, then yes, you can use sd cards to transfer them to the wiiu. but it doesn't want to run games from the sd card.

No, you can't transfer anything from the Wii to the Wii U with the SD Card. You will need to do a system transfer and that requires both machines and an internet connection.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who can't see the problem with this?...

External USB HDDs are much cheaper (per GB) than SD cards anyway and it's not like the Wii U will consume the entire drive.

If anything I think it's great that Nintendo are allowing us to use our own HDDs I have loads of spare storage in this form and it saves me having to buy a load of expensive SD cards that get lost very quickly. :L

I think the issue is that the hard drive isn't included.

You still have to pay more to deal with their oversight. Considering the PS3, for example, comes at 250GBs at $50 less (not sure about the Xbox 360 sizes), it's still another cost to be put into the system.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the issue is that the hard drive isn't included.

You still have to pay more to deal with their oversight. Considering the PS3, for example, comes at 250GBs at $50 less (not sure about the Xbox 360 sizes), it's still another cost to be put into the system.
You mean like the Vita? Seriously though it's not that bad. Of course they could have added more memory but in that case the entire console would just cost 50$ more. They decided to do it this way to make the console look cheaper. Besides, external memory is pretty cheap these days. Adding a relatively large hard disk inside the WiiU may have messed up the design (cooling, size etc).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean like the Vita? Seriously though it's not that bad. Of course they could have added more memory but in that case the entire console would just cost 50$ more. They decided to do it this way to make the console look cheaper. Besides, external memory is pretty cheap these days. Adding a relatively large hard disk inside the WiiU may have messed up the design (cooling, size etc).

I mean it's just one of those "hidden costs", much like the Vita. Like a Vita is around $250, if you don't buy a bundle you'll probably be investing at least another $20 in a memory card, and that's a small size (although there's no reason to buy a $250 plain Jane Vita when bundles cost the same). I mean all companies have "hidden costs", whether to fill a profit gap or cut costs, but I just find them irritating.

tenkai_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone's wondering this is what each set contains and some other news

Attachments

• photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 137
  • photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 148

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why people are getting all bitter about this. It prevents software from being played on another console. You guys are damn crazy to expect them to allow that. I don't know another console that allows this either.

Secondly, we can't say for sure if 32GB is small or not. We have no idea how big the eShop titles are. They could be microscopic and 32GB could be more than enough. Even 8GB might suffice.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Wondering why no one seems to want to know about movie files..? ie .avi .mp4 .mkv .mov .xvid .vidx etc etc etc.
and if wiiU can play them off of SD or HDD.
nintendo tv has no file folder to play movies.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh. It's not like the WiiU supports SDXC anyway, so the max size it can take is 32GB.
Well, they formatted the SDXC cards, so they could work on the 3ds. They probably can do the same thing for the wii u.

Is there any confirmation that digital content can played from the USB?

Look at this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1