Hacking Wii Update: 3.3U Out

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pure said:
marcan said:
This has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with using a crappy workaround that's there as a last resort. I'm not going to give details because that's precisely what I want to avoid. The only time we should eve do what our friend here is going to do is when we have no other option and a solid hacking base such as most of the BootMii platform (to ensure that Nintendo can't screw you over again if you do use it). Neither of those two requirements are true at the moment. It'd be nice if Waninkoko didn't decide to update his WAD piracy tools to work with the new firmware using this crappy workaround and then potentially screw everyone over in the future.

Of course he's free to do whatever the hell he wants, but at least I've made my point. If this would have been the only option in the future, and it goes away because of him, new homebrew users that get screwed are going to be so happy with Waninkoko.
I think I know were you're heading and I'm with you on this one. I'd listen to marcan If i were you guys..

I hope we're not talking about using a remaining exploit you guys have known about for a while just to fix this minor problem. That's exactly what Nintendo wants to happen.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
skawo96 said:
So, to sum up, you have a choice now, Nintendo or Homebrew.
I still think that the update may be hacked quickly though.

The PSP showed us that everything gets hacked eventually..
tongue.gif

btw, Nintendo's doing nothing wrong here.. all the Wii hacking is made through bugs on the Wii system, they're just fixing the bugs.
except for the function that deletes twilight hack savegames...

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, IF what I read is true about nintendo disallowing shop access without an updated wii, They're definitely asking for people to pirate wads of the wiiware channels......

Now if they only required an update on purchase of the new wiiware channels it would be more appropriate (if they're just trying to secure their financial investments), otherwise people that run the HB channel that were interested in purchasing wiiware already released may be more inclined to download wads rather than update their system to purchase it.

Remember the DRM tales we're all learning that game companies just aren't getting through their thick skulls, Make it easier to pirate than it is to legitimately buy it and people will pirate it more.

It is what it is.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
djdynamite123 said:
i like the way waninkoko adds a reply, and marcan has something bad to say about it
Shut up. I know what he's going to do, and it is not a good idea.
It wouldn't be the first time his "dirty workarounds" have had bad permanent consequences.
not for nothing but if people followed the README and FULLY UNDERSTOOD what they were doing before they did it they wouldn't have had "bad permanent consequences", ignorance caused them not waninkoko's program(s)

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:
I hope we're not talking about using a remaining exploit you guys have known about for a while just to fix this minor problem. That's exactly what Nintendo wants to happen.
It's worse than that. A big exploit takes months to fix in all IOSes, like this one. What Waninkoko wants to do is a lot easier to fix, and also very powerful (it could prove critical in the future, if we really get screwed).

We have big exploits, and we have what he's thinking about.

QUOTE(BL4Z3D247 @ Oct 23 2008, 02:53 PM) not for nothing but if people followed the README and FULLY UNDERSTOOD what they were doing before they did it they wouldn't have had "bad permanent consequences", ignorance caused them not waninkoko's program(s)
READMEs don't prevent Nintendo from updating stuff.

pLemming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Regardless of what's being planned, what's the current outlook for this? How much would have to be changed to allow HBC reinstallation? Just as simple as using cIOS?

deervark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with marcan. Keep the last resort a last resort. I'm sure he, and the other wii coders, will not be affected much by this. If you have updated, and are currently w/o homebrew/hacks then take it like a man and deal with it. If it takes weeks or months to fix, then so be it. The people that updated will just have to be left out - They partially deserve it for blindly updating. Also, it might be time for marcan to beat Waninkoko to the punch, and release a fix that is not 'dirty' or a 'last resort.'

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i am with mercan, too. i think it's the second time for me
wink.gif

just an other question in mercans and bushings direction. as far as i understood the update it prevents the hbc from being installed on a updated wii. am i right here and are you guys working on a solution for that?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
noobwarrior7 said:
It's worse than that. A big exploit takes months to fix in all IOSes, like this one. What Waninkoko wants to do is a lot easier to fix, and also very powerful (it could prove critical in the future, if we really get screwed).

We have big exploits, and we have what he's thinking about.

QUOTE(BL4Z3D247 @ Oct 23 2008, 02:53 PM) not for nothing but if people followed the README and FULLY UNDERSTOOD what they were doing before they did it they wouldn't have had "bad permanent consequences", ignorance caused them not waninkoko's program(s)
READMEs don't prevent Nintendo from updating stuff.
never said they did, but Nintendo doesn't MAKE you upgrade you make that decision to do so weather it be for channel update(s) or what have you... before you update your Wii or install apps/programs that could be potentially dangerous to your Wii you should research, if not problems like the ones posted in this thread can/will occur

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Could the IOS be brutally patched on NAND directly (we still can access this part in File System no ?) ? like a copypaste/overwrite of updated files with previous version files ?

if not, what prevents it ?

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, seriously now. Wanikonko don't screw everyone over with the Wiihomebew community's trump card.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but using common sense if you guys are hush hush about it and haven't released it is because it's truly a powerful workaround and don't want Nintendo discovering it at the moment.

It's for the future. And since this is a minor setback, it only completely screws the installations of WADs for the most part while the ISO loaders are working.

And please remember now, Wani never said he was working on it. So hopefully he drops the idea altogether.

As for the rest of us, LUCKILY this is not a a system update that brings 3.3 to 3.4. What I mean is that if this isn't something Nintendo decided to change the number, so it probably won't come package with say Animal Crossing. I haven't seen a single Wii game that has a mandatory update not jump versions about.

And I really feel you guys who jumped into shark infested waters by updating. Wait it out?
frown.gif

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
BL4Z3D247 said:
never said they did, but Nintendo doesn't MAKE you upgrade you make that decision to do so weather it be for channel update(s) or what have you... before you update your Wii or install apps/programs that could be potentially dangerous to your Wii you should research, if not problems like the ones posted in this thread can/will occur
Doesn't help new homebrew users who updated before they knew.

QUOTE(Screemer @ Oct 23 2008, 03:24 PM) am i right here and are you guys working on a solution for that?
Yes, yes.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone advise me about the Cios that gets round the problem ? it sounds like a must-have now, in-case of any accidental future updates (like forgetting to briickblock a foreign region iso, and letting the kids play it installing the update!)

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MrBubbles said:
As for the rest of us, LUCKILY this is not a a system update that brings 3.3 to 3.4. What I mean is that if this isn't something Nintendo decided to change the number, so it probably won't come package with say Animal Crossing. I haven't seen a single Wii game that has a mandatory update not jump versions about.
i have seen a couple of games demanding a update without "version change". one example is lego indy with a 3.2 wii. at least for me i had to install a update from the disc to get it going.
QUOTE(marcan @ Oct 23 2008, 03:32 PM) Yes, yes.
thx a lot!

and you are going a different route than the one you think waninkoko is about to go?

one final question. are traucha-signed discs still working with geckoos? i guess not.

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to stay on 3.2 for the time being, Until someone knows everything. Nothing wrong with 3.2 anyway right now besides the shop channel isn't working because of the update, however, why do we need it when we have HBC.
wink.gif

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
BL4Z3D247 said:
Doesn't help new homebrew users who updated before they knew.
this is true, hopefully someone could sort this out soon for those that have updated or for new homebrew users

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1