Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn, wish it worked better with the Seagates. I have so many Wii and other games I'm going to need to bump from my 3TB to a 4TB drive by the time I finish downloading all of the GameCube games.

maybe get a 2nd wii for gamecube purposes :)

i don't believe dios mios works well with 3-4tb drives due to sector size. i was actually just reading up on it there is thread here. i think the ntsc-u and pal exclusive set is about 660 GB, I have 2 TB and it fits them all + plenty of wii games.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the biggest HDD that will work would be be 2tb because in order to make them bigger they needed abigger sector size
I use GUIFormat to format the 3 and 4TB drives with 32K sector sizes and they run fine with WiiFlow but die in GC mode with a black screen.

Hopefully Seagate drive support will get better in coming releases. It will be awesome to load up the 4TB drive with everything.

In the meantime is there a way to get DIOS-MIOS to use USB port 1? Then I could find a WD drive and dump all the GC games there until Seagate support gets better.

edit - I checked and the emulation games channel forwarders that I was using don't like the 3 and 4TB drives. Does anyone know if there are forwarders that work on the larger drives? The emulators seem to work ok with the larger drives when you run them from HBC.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I use GUIFormat to format the 3 and 4TB drives with 32K sector sizes and they run fine with WiiFlow but die in GC mode with a black screen.

Hopefully Seagate drive support will get better in coming releases. It will be awesome to load up the 4TB drive with everything.

In the meantime is there a way to get DIOS-MIOS to use USB port 1? Then I could find a WD drive and dump all the GC games there until Seagate support gets better.
cluster size can be 32k but the sector size is for nearly all drives up to 2tb is 512 and bigger drives have 4k sectors. The name cluster is because it's a group of sectors. There are some 2tb drives, too, that have 4k clusters but, basically, if there's any drive that didn't work with wiiflow before the "3tb" compatibility update, it has the sectors too big for DM(L).

It IS possible to connect the diosmios hard drive to usb port 0 and the wii one to usb 1 as long as you don't mind the reduced emuNAND compatability of either d2x v9 or v10-alt for the usb1 support. You'd either have to use a plugin or some smaller parial files to let wiiflow see it on usb1 even though it's really on usb0.

iancer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be cool to have a premade list of genres indeed. It shouldn't be extremely difficult to create a little app to generate such a list, at least for popular systems. There are already some offline databases available (GameEx etc...).
It's "just" a matter of parsing the database file, as long as it's based on naming convention (no-intro or tosec).
Perhaps Maxternal could look at it some day, since he's creating a lot of good pc apps.

I know it's been asked before but what is the feasibility of a pc program that make the .wfc files? Any details, explanations on these cache files?

Thank you very much fix94 and matt for the subfolders cache trick.

i agree dood, especially since for plugins like FBA, we see the .zip names instead of the title of the games...
this can easily be rectified by parsing a text file that MAME/FBA actually uses, im only assuming it would have to be implemented to parse in the same fashion as the 'wiitdb.xml', although the catver has far less information: basically one line for the title, zip name.
i have provided a the file-
http://mindcaster.tripod.com/mame/fulllist.txt
its a simple text file with all the info we need (TITLES!), i pray this information is helpful.
I would absolutely love to find out how to get the genre's for everything else. I manually started doing categories/genres for Emulators, it's very time consuming so far I only have the letter "A" done for SNES lol. I have to find some time to sit down and do this but it would be great if there's an easy fix for WW/VC/GC!
for FBA we could use catver.ini (genres) so essentially we could have some type of "database" info display in the same vein as we get with wii/gc/ww games, when pressing + after selection.
http://www.arcadeathome.com/dl.phtml?aah/catver.zip|
as far as WW/VC/GC genres....the information is already included in the wiitdb.zip you DL-
http://www.gametdb.com/wiitdb.zip?LANG=EN&WIIWARE=TRUE&GAMECUBE=TRUE&FALLBACK=TRUE
its 'just' a matter of figuring out the spell that was used to make the categories.ini we already use that has Wii genres. so this 'feature' doesnt even really need to be implemented. it only need to be updated.
thank you all.

e2zippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, some questions regarding the plugin pack which contains the emulators.

It looks like the retroarch versions are pretty outdated, I reported over on themaister forum that the color was looking weird in donkey kong country 2 in Snes9x Next and they told me that was fixed long ago.

Can I just download the latest retroarch from their site and replace the dols in the retroarch folder?

Cheers!

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I adjust coverflow? Pressing 1/2 does nothing. I want to see a grid view
You need to have some themes. Most of the ones on Spiffy and the Wiiflowiki are outdated, but if you search a couple pages back, you'll find a few. ;)

@ anyone who knows what the hell's going on, I just ran into an issue with mplayer. If I select the plugin and then select any other plugin then try to go back to mplayer, I have to reselect the partition. I thought it might be a ini related issue, so I deleted it, to let it rewrite it. Now it dumps every time I start it up. Dumps using a blank ini as well. If I use an old ini, it boots up with no text on default theme. Also, what is this "none" folder that keeps popping up in the wiiflow folder?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cluster size can be 32k but the sector size is for nearly all drives up to 2tb is 512 and bigger drives have 4k sectors. The name cluster is because it's a group of sectors. There are some 2tb drives, too, that have 4k clusters but, basically, if there's any drive that didn't work with wiiflow before the "3tb" compatibility update, it has the sectors too big for DM(L).

It IS possible to connect the diosmios hard drive to usb port 0 and the wii one to usb 1 as long as you don't mind the reduced emuNAND compatability of either d2x v9 or v10-alt for the usb1 support. You'd either have to use a plugin or some smaller parial files to let wiiflow see it on usb1 even though it's really on usb0.
I am familiar with the low level sector size on drives but I didn't think it would be a problem on the Wii since I'm able to run regular Wii games. Hopefully support for non-512 byte sector drives (the larger ones) is forthcoming... I really want to have everything on just 1 drive.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or at least have the default.ini file in your "/wiiflow/themes" folder
Sorry, have to correct you on that one. Just having the default ini won't do it as the default ini only has 1 coverflow. Other themes have multiple, which is why I suggested it.

EDIT to my previous post: It seems that the muti-magic number feature is failing me. I used ABZ's source menu ini, with mplayer having 1 magic and the path stuck. I added my second iso ini to the plugin, and it fails to retain the path. Can anyone else confirm this?

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, have to correct you on that one. Just having the default ini won't do it as the default ini only has 1 coverflow. Other themes have multiple, which is why I suggested it.
You have a weird default.ini then, the original default.ini from svn has multiple views if you use the default theme.

Reactions: MassiveRican

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country

EDIT to my previous post: It seems that the muti-magic number feature is failing me. I used ABZ's source menu ini, with mplayer having 1 magic and the path stuck. I added my second iso ini to the plugin, and it fails to retain the path. Can anyone else confirm this?
I'm using multi magics (20 to be exact) with all plugins button and it's working fine! which rev r u using?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was buried in an edit and people may not have seen it...

I checked and the emulation games channel forwarders that I was using don't like the 3 and 4TB drives. Does anyone know if there are forwarders that work on the larger drives? The emulators themselves seem to work ok with the larger drives when you run them from HBC. Just need the forwarder channel to load them.

If anyone can help that would be fantastic. TIA!

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
You have a weird default.ini then, the original default.ini from svn has multiple views if you use the default theme.

The default.ini written from a blank install only has a single flow and you need to replace it with the one from the svn if you wish to use multiple views. This is one of the few problems that is not fixed with the Masterpiece pack either.

I usually keep a backup version of the default.ini that I use.

The multiple flows within the default.ini were my own contibution to the original Wiiflow, so I was sad to see they were not being generated/packed within the newer releases.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The default.ini written from a blank install only has a single flow and you need to replace it with the one from the svn if you wish to use multiple views. This is one of the few problems that is not fixed with the Masterpiece pack either.

The multiple flows within the default.ini were my own contibution to the original Wiiflow, so I was sad to see they were not being generated/packed within the newer releases.
That might be the one that's still part of the Googlecode page.
https://code.google.com/p/wiiflow/source/browse/trunk/wii/wiiflow/themes/default.ini
I think it's the one THEY'RE talking about anyway.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country

I shot a request at Abz to see if he'd include it with his pack, it might have been an easy oversight considering he made it to be used with carbonik abz theme in mind, honestly I hadn't even though about it but it makes sense to have a nice default.ini packed in for the default theme as well.

Reactions: Etheboss

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you for your contributions. I found an older default.ini on my PC and it's working great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thf30D0atcM