Hacking WiiU now requiring update to use online features

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to report it seems as though mine has kicked in now and says to update so all I can say is Fuck off homebrew I'm updating asap, there is no way I am missing out on MK8 online and the upcoming Super Smash Bros just for that, its not worth it! Fuck homebrew, welcome back WiiU MK8!!! Roll on WiikeyU I say. No rewind that, I have updated bollocks to it I don't care, Lol!!! Lets face facts now, you wont be able to use back ups with homebrew anymore even if a loader is developed anyway cause you will have to update the wiiu to be able to play online features, so what is the point anymore if you can't play online!.

Cool story bro. I don't think any of the devs here, including me, are targeting piracy in the slightest (or if we are, we're not releasing anything) anyways.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The point is that with homebrew u can fool the online servers into thinking ur using the latest firmware when ur not.

I'm really hoping somebody figures out how to physically dump the wiiu nand so we can downgrade in case we want to update.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Sorry to report it seems as though mine has kicked in now and says to update so all I can say is Fuck off homebrew I'm updating asap, there is no way I am missing out on MK8 online and the upcoming Super Smash Bros just for that, its not worth it! Fuck homebrew, welcome back WiiU MK8!!! Roll on WiikeyU I say. No rewind that, I have updated bollocks to it I don't care, Lol!!! Lets face facts now, you wont be able to use back ups with homebrew anymore even if a loader is developed anyway cause you will have to update the wiiu to be able to play online features, so what is the point anymore if you can't play online, it takes all the fun out of games like MK8 & SSB!. This exploit is dead now as far as I am concerned, its time to move on and forget about it. R.I.P

kthxbai

Reactions: endoverend

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Hear that, guys? We lost Reecey, so everyone can go home now; scene's dead. Been a good run.

Well there you go, I have spoken so nothing is worth doing anymore, everyone pack your bags and forget about it! :P Tbh I was probably just having a bit of a rant because I was annoyed about Nintendo doing the sneaky update thing. It was quite annoying though. I did cover quite alot of ground though in that short rant, it was good :lol:

moc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's as big a deal as everyone's making it out to be. They're still using the same really old version of WebKit (albeit with adding their own patches and mods for stuff like the gamepad), so it still has a lot of bugs that have been found in the meantime. We haven't found another one yet because we haven't been looking, people are off doing other things (AKA exploring what the system can do now that we at the very least have 5.0.0/5.1.0 working), but still, it's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be. FFS, it was like this when everyone was freaking out because we had to do the addresses blind for THOSE versions, and we managed to get through that just fine once someone(chadderz) actually tried to get a RAM dump to work off of.
HAVE SOME FAITH for once.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't think it's as big a deal as everyone's making it out to be. They're still using the same really old version of WebKit (albeit with adding their own patches and mods for stuff like the gamepad), so it still has a lot of bugs that have been found in the meantime. We haven't found another one yet because we haven't been looking, people are off doing other things (AKA exploring what the system can do now that we at the very least have 5.0.0/5.1.0 working), but still, it's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be. FFS, it was like this when everyone was freaking out because we had to do the addresses blind for THOSE versions, and we managed to get through that just fine once someone(chadderz) actually tried to get a RAM dump to work off of.

It's normal for people to panic for some reason. Specially in the console scene.
I'm sad that I have to upgrade my Wii U to get the eshop later, but it isn't the end of the world.

I guess this just add to the challenge for those who like to look for exploits in newer versions of the firmware.
And I can say right now, I do have faith in the work of the (real) hackers. I remember the Wii when it first manage to fix the Trunchabug. People got scared, and it eventually also go fixed.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
would it be possible for those guys who have access to the kernel exploit to patch the signature/"fingerprint"/name of the current firmware to make the servers thinking the wii u is on the latest firmware? just wondering...
Yes, it's a dumb system most likely.
But emunand would be better :)

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you keep it on the version it is for all of eternity (or upgrade with patched downloaded updates once you know they're safe) so they have no way to be told that you've hacked your Wii U because they get no data sent to them about that :P Simple logic. Your Wii U is a sandbox(for the most part), once you have access to a kernel exploit and IOSU access you pretty much can do whatever the hell you want (provided you know what you're doing).

Oh I understand that. But I just think its a little disheartening that Nintendo is actually aware and on top of this stuff this time. They tried similar things with the original Wii (much much later after the thing had been hacked to hell) but those attemps were futile, this time feels much different.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is tough guys :P No games work online, no miiverse, tvii, DLCs, game updates or any online services (except the browser I guess) .... We don't know what will come out of the Browser exploit but I don't know if I can wait!! I want to play MK8 and MH3U online ..

that is what it comes down to these days, it's either homebrew or update, you can't have both, it was also a waste of time blocking those ips on the router because they found a way to stop people accessing their network, they are getting as bad as sony now.

the same will also happen when the ps4 gets cracked open, online or homebrew and they ban you too if you are signed into psn.

this is also what happens if you let these companies take control over your consoles, cfw and homebrew liberate your consoles and free them from their clutches but they always counter back don't they.

people should also concider getting a second wii u if you want to play online now, that is your only way now.

mashiro21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that is what it comes down to these days, it's either homebrew or update, you can't have both, it was also a waste of time blocking those ips on the router because they found a way to stop people accessing their network, they are getting as bad as sony now.

the same will also happen when the ps4 gets cracked open, online or homebrew and they ban you too if you are signed into psn.

this is also what happens if you let these companies take control over your consoles, cfw and homebrew liberate your consoles and free them from their clutches but they always counter back don't they.

i believe they have the right to do so since it is actually their servers, so i don't think saying "they're as bad as ____ now" is not a statement we are entitled to. but yeah, for those who want homebrew and play online, it's not a very good situation.

you still have control over your console, but if you want to use their servers, then you follow their rules. not hatin' on you, just wanted to point that out, since I myself am also waiting for homebrew, but at the same time, am now very frustrated because i cannot enjoy my MK8, TTT2, and Miiverse because of the loss of online functionality.

i had faith in a higher power before, but 2000 years later, no one has seen him and the earth is getting worse. so yeah, i still have faith in you, but please don't make us wait too long. good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64