Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

escequi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Black screen with a few white dots in a vertical line in bottom-left of top screen is safe to reboot?
edit: i've rebooted, and tried like 3 times already, i'm always getting this black screen and nothing happens after i press Y

Last edited by escequi,

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SOFT BRICK REPORT

Tried to downgrade New3DS from 9.6U to 9.2 using SafeSysUpdater. Downloaded the right package from that iso site.

All gone right, but on the reboot I got the nintendo error screen. Then I had to force shutdown.

Boot Restore Mode and I was made to update and restore the 3DS :/

Last edited by Falkiner,

aeroblast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOFT BRICK REPORT

Tried to downgrade New3DS from 9.6U to 9.2 using SafeSysUpdater. Downloaded the right package from that iso site.

All gone right, but on the reboot I got the nintendo error screen. Then I had to force shutdown.

Boot Restore Mode and I was made to update and restore the 3DS :/
You didn't happen to use menuhax to load sysUpdater, did you?

Falkiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You didn't happen to use menuhax to load sysUpdater, did you?

Yup I tried, I know I've should try removing the SD Card after downgrading with SafeSysUpdater.

Also, I've tried later on a friends N3DS and it all worked well, I didn't had to remove the SD Card.

eightbitminiboss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got owned.

New 3DS XL. 10.3U downgraded to 9.2U successfully with safesysupdater since sysupdater never worked for me. Rebooted and came to black screen error. Ran recovery and it put me on 10.5U.

:ohnoes:

Didn't have menuhax. Ironhax was my main entrypoint.

Last edited by eightbitminiboss,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if some of these brick failures that should not have been failures are linked to a specific 3ds model or having a specific application on your 3ds installed (or possibly just the homebrew saying "screw you, no downgrade for you". Just curious.)

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I wonder if some of these brick failures that should not have been failures are linked to a specific 3ds model or having a specific application on your 3ds installed (or possibly just the homebrew saying "screw you, no downgrade for you". Just curious.)
It's just the very unstable nature of memchunkhax2.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite a softbrick, but a frankenfirmware coming from 9.8 on a US n3ds. It installed enough of 9.2 for the exploits to work as needed, but died probably 2/3 of the way through or so, leaving me with some system files that are still 9.8 updated, but the majority (anything important) is 9.2. This also required me to wipe the SD card, as there was something on it that it wasn't liking at boot. I'm going to finish up the rest of the emunand setup in a little bit, but I don't expect any issues with that, as all of the exploit points seem to be intact...

plaxz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i have a brand new N3ds with FW 9.9 can I update it first to 10.3 using sysupdater and then downgrade?

there are couple of reports that they are getting the "frankenfirmware" if downgraded from 9.9. (I personally experienced this)

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sadly I'd have to add my name to that bricked list. I was downloading the right cias for my console (a 10.1.0.27U n3ds) to downgrade to 9.2, but doubted the website and went to that iso site instead, didn't want to make an account so I went back to the first site and stupidly clicked on a link for the 9.2.0U cias, without realizing it was under the O3DS label.

I really regret not checking the md5 as the guide in gbatemp suggested; it would've taken me 1min and now i wouldn't have to think about what to do with the brick resting on my desk. It's so sad knowing you're the only one to blame for being so careless. I'm not even sure if i'll be able to get a 10.3 console anymore, but at the same time I'm not sure it's worth it either, I should've kept using the sky3ds+ and just play games.

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sadly I'd have to add my name to that bricked list. I was downloading the right cias for my console (a 10.1.0.27U n3ds) to downgrade to 9.2, but doubted the website and went to that iso site instead, didn't want to make an account so I went back to the first site and stupidly clicked on a link for the 9.2.0U cias, without realizing it was under the O3DS label.

I really regret not checking the md5 as the guide in gbatemp suggested; it would've taken me 1min and now i wouldn't have to think about what to do with the brick resting on my desk. It's so sad knowing you're the only one to blame for being so careless. I'm not even sure if i'll be able to get a 10.3 console anymore, but at the same time I'm not sure it's worth it either, I should've kept using the sky3ds+ and just play games.
I'm sorry to hear that. But if you do plan on getting another console, might aswell get a hardmodded unit, which means you can downgrade even from 10.5 and you can unbrick using your NAND backup if anything goes wrong.

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, people.

I've downgraded my 9.9 n3ds xl to 9.2U with SafeSysUpdater and it crashed in the end (nintendo "restart your system" screen on the bottom screen). I've used MenuHax to get to the homebrew launcher.
I can boot into firmware, start camera and whatnot but I cannot access browser and system settings. Browser gives me "Internet browser" label and waits forever, system settings gives "Nintendo 3DS" app boot logo forever.

On the scale from 1 to Vladimir Putin, how hard am I screwed?.. Should I get to recovery and flash the boring 10.5?..

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hello, people.

I've downgraded my 9.9 n3ds xl to 9.2U with SafeSysUpdater and it crashed in the end (nintendo "restart your system" screen on the bottom screen). I've used MenuHax to get to the homebrew launcher.
I can boot into firmware, start camera and whatnot but I cannot access browser and system settings. Browser gives me "Internet browser" label and waits forever, system settings gives "Nintendo 3DS" app boot logo forever.

On the scale from 1 to Vladimir Putin, how hard am I screwed?.. Should I get to recovery and flash the boring 10.5?..
That's an incomplete downgrade. Grab a physical cartridge that contains a sub 10.4 update (Shovel Knight is cheap, an excellent game and has 9.8) and update using the cartridge. Then, you can downgrade again.

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's an incomplete downgrade. Grab a physical cartridge that contains a sub 10.4 update (Shovel Knight is cheap, an excellent game and has 9.8) and update using the cartridge. Then, you can downgrade again.
I've heared there's some kind of dummy browser problem that only occurs if you update from a cartridge. Can it be avoided?..

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heared there's some kind of dummy browser problem that only occurs if you update from a cartridge. Can it be avoided?..

can you get mini pasta working? If so it might still be (safely) recoverable, using an installed cia version of sysupdater. If not, it might still be (unsafely) recoverable, by re-running memchunkhax based sysupdater. Second route is obviously risky, but it's what I ended up doing to fix mine.

Last edited by dubbz82,

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh that's just great. I've got a Lego Jurrasic World cartridge with 9.4.0 (according to www.3dsdb.com) but once I put in the card I got no invitation to update! Apparently my frankenstein fw thinks it's still 9.9. Daym am I screwed not.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that's just great. I've got a Lego Jurrasic World cartridge with 9.4.0 (according to www.3dsdb.com) but once I put in the card I got no invitation to update! Apparently my frankenstein fw thinks it's still 9.9. Daym am I screwed not.

just try running the downgrader again if you have access to a homebrew entry point. i had frankenfirmware on a 3DS coming from 10.3 and had an entry point, ran sysupdater again and downgrade completed.

toxuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just try running the downgrader again if you have access to a homebrew entry point. i had frankenfirmware on a 3DS coming from 10.3 and had an entry point, ran sysupdater again and downgrade completed.
I do not have access to cubic ninja or ocarina of time. Browserhax is obviously out of the picture since my browser does not start at all. Are there any other entry points that could be used on n3ds 9.9?.. I have an old flash cart (R4i 3DS RTS) that is working on this console to launch old ds games, if that helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...