Hacking Would it be possible to use an iPod for USBLoader?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well i did a few tests

Swithing the ipod to disc mode then connecting it to the wii gave the -1 error.

Formatting it in windows gave the -1 error

Formatting it with the gui tool and even adding games to it worked but it gave the -1 error when connected to the wii

running it through the program i talked about earlier in the post is the only method i can get to work and theres some issues with that as well.I did it the very first time worked perfect.I just tried it again after putting the ipod back to its original state of having all the itunes crap on it and when i go to use the formatting tool it tells me its protected and can not format it.So i changed the usb port the ipod was plugged into and it worked fine.

Also just tried running a game off the ipod and it just freezes the loader.The game was wii sports

So im done testing this out.In my view the ipod is crap to use with the loader.
I will go back to my 8gb flash drive for now

strell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, not sure if anyone can help with this, but if anyone knows I would appreciate the help...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a 30GB ipod hooked up to the Wii and running just fine in disc mode. My problem is that I've never been able to get the damn thing to turn off even before hooking it up to the Wii - it just stays on with the screen dimmed until the battery finally dies. This wouldn't be a problem since I am powering it with the Wii, but every time it dies it goes through it's initial charge phase where it reads "Please wait. Very low battery." for 15-20 minutes. While this happens, I can't use it as a drive even though it's getting power.

I found many people saying "just reset it and the next time you use it it will turn off fine" as well as suggestions to let the battery drain completely, but those have not worked for me. This seems like such a stupid question, but as it is it's useless to me since every day I have to wait for it to get an initial charge - does anyone know how to make the ipod turn off?

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I guess the iPod is a "no go"... Well, no more ruining my music
tongue.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the thing is that the speed of the HDD of the iPod is too slow and I'm thinking that the procesor is interfiering even if you use it as HDD, so...... NO GO iPod...!!
biggrin.gif

strell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--JoCa-- said:
So, I guess the iPod is a "no go"... Well, no more ruining my music
tongue.gif
I wouldn't say it's a "no go". Mine really does work just fine and would be perfect if I could figure out how to make it turn off. That's an issue that has to do with the ipod, not with the loader or compatibility. We played Rock Band 2 for almost two hours last night from the ipod with no problems at all.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heres an update on mine.

It wouldnt boot wii sports.

Well i put wii sports on my flash drive and it wouldnt work either.
It was a bad extraction of the game from when i ripped it with the loader.I deleted it and ripped it again and it played fine.

So now i think the ipod will indeed work just gotta get a known working game to test it.

once my ipod quits being a peice of shit i will try this out again to see if i can get a game to run off of it.

Something screwed the ipod up while i was trying to format it on the computer so now for the past hour its stuck on the same screen and you can hear the hard drive inside clicking.

Im hoping once the battery dies it should be fixable.

strell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
Something screwed the ipod up while i was trying to format it on the computer so now for the past hour its stuck on the same screen and you can hear the hard drive inside clicking.

Mine does this after switching connections sometimes. Most of the time while it's clicking I can switch it to disc mode with the center button and play button together and it stops the clicking.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
strell said:
icpmattj said:

Mine does this after switching connections sometimes. Most of the time while it's clicking I can switch it to disc mode with the center button and play button together and it stops the clicking.

THANK YOU

it wouldnt stop for anything.The battery finally died and even plugging it back in it still did the same thing.It would click and the apple screen would just flash on and off on and off over and over again and said very low battery every once in awhile.
Just did what you said and my ipod was instantly seen by Itunes
smile.gif

Im gonna format it again with the program i got and add a known working game to it and see if it runs.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well after getting the ipod to actually show up on the computer.

I formatted it with the other program.Then used the GUI to format it to wbfs and then added a known working iso i had on the computer which was zelda.

And it works just fine.Game loaded no problem.

Right now im ripping wii sports to the ipod.

So in the end the ipod can be used i guess just takes a little work getting it set up right.

The only thing i did different this time i think was i ran the original program i talked about which formatted it to fat32 and then after that i used to GUI to format it to wbfs.

Before when i formatted it with the gui it was still in ipod disk mode i believe but it still let the gui format it and even add games to it.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
strell said:
OK, not sure if anyone can help with this, but if anyone knows I would appreciate the help...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a 30GB ipod hooked up to the Wii and running just fine in disc mode. My problem is that I've never been able to get the damn thing to turn off even before hooking it up to the Wii - it just stays on with the screen dimmed until the battery finally dies. This wouldn't be a problem since I am powering it with the Wii, but every time it dies it goes through it's initial charge phase where it reads "Please wait. Very low battery." for 15-20 minutes. While this happens, I can't use it as a drive even though it's getting power.

I found many people saying "just reset it and the next time you use it it will turn off fine" as well as suggestions to let the battery drain completely, but those have not worked for me. This seems like such a stupid question, but as it is it's useless to me since every day I have to wait for it to get an initial charge - does anyone know how to make the ipod turn off?

After finally getting mine to work.I've noticed it shuts off on its on.After i unplug it from the wii a screen comes up says

connect to your computer use Itunes to restore.Then about 10 seconds later it shuts off.

Mine is a Video 30GB 5th generation.

REALDEAL

Trophies
XP
Country
tried my 40 gb wheel type not sure what generation this is but it got past the ret 1 error unlike my external 250 hdd...i formatted it on the wii and tried to add games but i got code dumps .i needed to format it ,it had 2 partitions ie system files and 37.2 free space i accidently formated the wrong partition. and corrupted it but just had to coonect to apple.com for system update and restored the files ipod back working so if u do mess it up it can be restored back..........i was on my lappy so could not try the gui will try again later see if i can get past the code dumps

A

area

I got code dumps when I tried to dump games on my (80GB, 5.5G) iPod too; this was after it claimed to partition it, but didn't actually touch it.

I'm trying a dd from a working partition onto the iPod, with SSBB already installed. If that works, then it's just the fact that it can't write to the iPod, rather than the iPod being unusable. I'm not hopeful, but it's not costing me anything to try.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:

I formatted it with the other program.Then used the GUI to format it to wbfs and then added a known working iso i had on the computer which was zelda.

can you share the gui you used?

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
prob wouldnt hurt to use a tool like WD Flash Drive Fat32 format tool You can get it at the official western digital site and it will format your ipod nicely an alternitive that IS NOT FREE like wd format tool for "my book essentials" is Partition Magic which can delete/format nearly anything!
tongue.gif
I would try to be SURE the format job in fat32 works... BEFORE you bother to format it in WBFS aside from that gr8 idea i shit when this actually worked!
ohmy.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xDlmaoxD said:
icpmattj said:

can you share the gui you used?

I use this one

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144...p;#entry1867731

The best one ive found and ive tried probly 5 or 6 total.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
--JoCa-- said:
Nope. I tried it with my 80Gb Classic iPod and it gives me the -1 error. I tried it in FAT, FAT32 and NTSC, but none works...

All I did was to erase everything I had on it... (All my musics and videos...
cry.gif
)

why on earth would you do that? the ipod needs the files to run, also i hope you have a backup of your music files :S

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
--JoCa-- said:
Nope. I tried it with my 80Gb Classic iPod and it gives me the -1 error. I tried it in FAT, FAT32 and NTSC, but none works...

All I did was to erase everything I had on it... (All my musics and videos...
cry.gif
)

why on earth would you do that? the ipod needs the files to run, also i hope you have a backup of your music files :S

Ipod wil still run with formatting it in fat32.It wont run the normal way but it still works.

Also after any kind of formatting even wbfs Itunes will restore the ipod back to its original settings like nothing happened.
I've done it to 2 ipods.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it not shit slow using an ipod? AFAIK apple use PATA HDD's in the ipods which are the slowest type. Parallel ATA if I recall correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cgll8v7iA