OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
My New nintendo 3ds xl no longer works.I do beleve i may have hard bricked it by charging it in a really gehto way. At the time i did not have a 3ds charger but i did have a old class 2 power supply so i decided to cut off the end of it to get the negitive and positive copper points i then proceded to line them up between the power points of the battery and the 3ds.I was suprised to see that it worked.-2 days later of doing this i assume the 3ds could not handle the power going though it so i guess it fried its self.The last time i ever saw it active when it was blinking red and i did not feel like chargeing it so i just left it there. when i later came home i tried the gehto way agian but this time it was not working.later i went out and bought a real 3ds charger the next day but still no life.even with the battery out it still cannot turn on.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Charging Li-ion batteries by directly connecting some DC voltage on the battery terminals is a bad idea in general. The batteries should have their own protection circuit preventing overcharge (which would ultimately lead to [YouTube] Li-ion thermal runaway). If the battery protection is circumvented or does not work a fried 3DS is your smallest problem.

Check these:
  • Battery voltage with a multimeter
  • If the battery still looks good and has normal voltage: Try your battery in a different console
  • A different battery in your console
  • Fuses on the mainboard with a multimeter
Edit: A 3DS will not turn on without a battery. With only the charger while battery is disconnected (or completely dead) it will not power on.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Mariobros6428

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if you're lucky it's only a broken fuse or connector
What voltage did that charger have?
INPUT:120V-60Hrtz 4.4W
OUTPUT:DC9V 200mA

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe if you're lucky it's only a broken fuse or connector
What voltage did that charger have?
OUTPUT:= DC9V 200mA

Mariobros6428

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
You fried the protection circuit of the battery and/or charging circuuit in your 3DS with way too high voltage. Maximum charge voltage for Li-Ion or Lipo is 4.2V.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a previously discussed thread about ghetto charging the 3DS systems.
Basically, supplying too much or too little voltage (V) or amperage (A) will fry your charging components.

Here's a list of the parts that should be cross compatible for all the 3DS systems. However, you'll want to research and figure out where they're located on each model's motherboard.

[ o3DS / o3DSXL / n3DS / n3DSXL ] charger port (dock stand compatible).

[ o2DS / n2DSXL / NDS / DSi ] charger port (no side contacts for dock).

F1 + F2 microfuses.
You might want to get the 10 pack option because these are really small and easy to lose.

Power supply filter.

Texas Instrument BQ24072 IC charging chip.

Mariobros6428

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Charging Li-ion batteries by directly connecting some DC voltage on the battery terminals is a bad idea in general. The batteries should have their own protection circuit preventing overcharge (which would ultimately lead to [YouTube] Li-ion thermal runaway). If the battery protection is circumvented or does not work a fried 3DS is your smallest problem.

Check these:
  • Battery voltage with a multimeter
  • If the battery still looks good and has normal voltage: Try your battery in a different console
  • A different battery in your console
  • Fuses on the mainboard with a multimeter
Edit: A 3DS will not turn on without a battery. With only the charger while battery is disconnected (or completely dead) it will not power on.
Hi ik its been like 4 years sorry :hateit: but i got a new battery , replaced the right button board , got a multi meter and now have access to plenty of soldering tools, i also have a ds light for parts if any fuses/parts can be used from it as well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb