Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey bkifft

Sent you some smut, since we got in a RasPi and managed to follow your easy instructions and unbrick a unit for someone that bricked it using an R4i Deluxe.

If anyone in Australia/New Zealand needs help with it, or just the soldering if they don't have the skill-set, let me know

Thanks for all your hard work.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey bkifft

Sent you some smut, since we got in a RasPi and managed to follow your easy instructions and unbrick a unit for someone that bricked it using an R4i Deluxe.

If anyone in Australia/New Zealand needs help with it, or just the soldering if they don't have the skill-set, let me know

If this is the OzModChips shop (http://www.ozmodchips.com/) I would like to say that I have bought several items from them in the past, including 2 Gateway3DS' and 4 modded xboxes and they have proven themselves honest and reliable. The price listed on their site of $40 seems like a pretty good value as well and could save some people a great deal of anxiety trying to do this themselves.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WHAT'S NEW ON THE SOFTWARE SOLUTION WITHOUT RASPBERRY PI AND WELDING ?
It is my belief that no software only solution is possible because the console is not in a state that is capable of running any sort of unbricking utility. Direct hardware access, via a physical mod is required.

Reactions: bkifft

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i don't think the amount of people affected would really justify anyone else spending any more time making up more methods of unbricking, as gerbilly said the 3ds is in a unusable state so there wouldn't ever really be a way to unbrick without opening it up and interfacing with it externally, and i would say that about 90% of people have either replaced their 3DS, fixed it themselves or had someone else repair it for them, the amount of people actually expecting some sort of magic fix is probably about 10

all i can suggest is if they cant do it themselves they should send it to someone else to fix and move on with their life :yaysp:

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHAT'S NEW ON THE SOFTWARE SOLUTION WITHOUT RASPBERRY PI AND WELDING ?
Basically, there is no "software only" solution, and there never will be. You need to directly send commands to the 3DS rom chip, and the only way that you will ever be able to do that is through a direct hardware interface. Hence, why an arduino/raspberry pi and soldering wires directly to your 3ds is the only way you will be able to unbrick your 3DS.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is why can't find a way via PC without the use of the RasPi? Isn't the RasPi using linux? My computer can run linux too. Why can't it be ported?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i don't think the amount of people affected would really justify anyone else spending any more time making up more methods of unbricking, as gerbilly said the 3ds is in a unusable state so there wouldn't ever really be a way to unbrick without opening it up and interfacing with it externally, and i would say that about 90% of people have either replaced their 3DS, fixed it themselves or had someone else repair it for them, the amount of people actually expecting some sort of magic fix is probably about 10

all i can suggest is if they cant do it themselves they should send it to someone else to fix and move on with their life :yaysp:

That's why...... If anyone wants it so badly they should look into it themselves it's a bit cheeky expecting people to spend days/weeks developing stuff for like 3 people who are just being ott cheap

The raspberry pi and arduno are both very specific systems with specific hard ware and features and Windows method would be very specific too if it was even manageable it would need a specific card reader with sufficient driver capabilities to perform low level access to the nand

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why...... If anyone wants it so badly they should look into it themselves it's a bit cheeky expecting people to spend days/weeks developing stuff for like 3 people who are just being ott cheap

The raspberry pi and arduno are both very specific systems with specific hard ware and features and Windows method would be very specific too if it was even manageable it would need a specific card reader with sufficient driver capabilities to perform low level access to the nand

Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for the work already done. Programming is well beyond my skills. It looked to me to use linux (not to be confused with Windows). I thought it would be easy to port to linux on PC. I am obviously wrong. I just don't have a RasPi (not yet anyhow).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for the work already done. Programming is well beyond my skills. It looked to me to use linux (not to be confused with Windows). I thought it would be easy to port to linux on PC. I am obviously wrong. I just don't have a RasPi (not yet anyhow).
Yeah I know it would be "nice" if it was as simple as plugging it into any card reader, but it's not unfortunately,

you would literally only need access to a raspberry pi for 5 mins and if you buy one just to unbrick you could just sell it on once you have done it and get like 90% of your money back, it's all good wishing things where different but sometimes it's best to accept things how they are :)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know it would be "nice" if it was as simple as plugging it into any card reader, but it's not unfortunately,

you would literally only need access to a raspberry pi for 5 mins and if you buy one just to unbrick you could just sell it on once you have done it and get like 90% of your money back, it's all good wishing things where different but sometimes it's best to accept things how they are :)

Personally, I will re-purpose the RasPi for some emulators, XBMC, or something else, but yeah I hear ya.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Personally, I will re-purpose the RasPi for some emulators, XBMC, or something else, but yeah I hear ya.
Yeah it's an amazing lil media centre with xbmc, get the remote app on your phone too for extra wow's :P

I had been planning to get one for a while it was a nice excuse

Well worth every penny imo

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordofthereef no longer offers the service.
...I was one of the guys offering free unbricks (not to steal your thunder, but you asked a couple posts up). I am unaware of another person (could be wrong). I am pretty much out of free services at the moment as I have gone back to work (just had a baby and now have my 40 hour + baby time obligations lol).

helpwith3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey bkifft

Hey bkifft

Hi ozmodchips. Got my 3ds back yesterday and working great again. Thanks to both you and bkifft (and other programmers) for their great work. Still gotta find worthy smut to send to you bkifft.

Reactions: bkifft

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone in the greater New England area needs some help I'd be happy to offer my services. :lol:
Thank you very much bkifft, John Cronin, and many more for a very simple unbricking method via a RPI :bow:

_Tim_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I am writing software to communicate with an MMC/SD card via a FTDI (FT232R) USB cable. It can already read the CID/CSD/OCR registers, read/write blocks, lock/unlock using a password and force erase. If anyone has this kind of cable/adapter and a 3DS and wants me to turn this into an unbricker, let me know.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I am writing software to communicate with an MMC/SD card via a FTDI (FT232R) USB cable. It can already read the CID/CSD/OCR registers, read/write blocks, lock/unlock using a password and force erase. If anyone has this kind of cable/adapter and a 3DS and wants me to turn this into an unbricker, let me know.
not sure if its any use but i have a lil silabs cp2102 USB to UART Bridge

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
CP2102/PL2303-based USB-to-TTL cables won't work, they don't support a bitbang interface.
no probs just had it lying around with no use :D
thought i could retire the Raspberry pi to staying as a media center :P

nice to hear people working on other methods though, have you got the info for generating the unlock code from bkifft?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Caller -"Everytime I start a Pc game on my S24, playing on a external monitor, someone calls or...