Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is an interesting article.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/content....S&nocache=1

QUOTE said:
What Do We Know
In reality, we KNOW very little. Here is what we have so far...

* FCC pictures of the product (or some portion of it) were leaked earlier this year when they shouldn't have been.
* The unit will have "3D without glasses" and it will not be based on the current "head tracking 3D" technology that is out now.
* It is fully Nintendo DS compatible.
* The codename for the hardware is "Nintendo CTR"
* Scheduled for release in Japan not later than March 2011
* The 3D technology is licensed from a Japanese company
* Many companies big and small (including names like Capcom) are already developing games for the new unit.

Industry Speculation and Rumor Mill
Every year this gets Nintendo into more and more trouble. Remember the Wii's launch? We expected 3D holographic projectors for crying out loud. Let's see if we can keep things respectable this year ...

* It has processing capabilities that surpass the Wii and are closer to 360/PS3 capabilities.
* The unit will have a full accelerometer (like the Wii Motion Plus)
* The unit will be priced at $199 at launch.
* 3G connectivity isn't "out of the question".
* 3D, while the big initial focus of the system, isn't going to be "all" the new portable is about.
* Craig (IGN) backs up the 360/PS3 power rumor, as he’s the one that got the info from devs
* devs were very impressed with the power
* Quality of the visuals will depend on the resolution of the 3D screen
* significant power needed for the double rendering of 3d image
* 3D will be an option on the system itself
* Apparently a slider will be able to toggle the strength of the 3D effect
* IGN believes there will be a Mario Kart game
* Developers are trying to figure out what to do with the 3D
* some devs still waiting on 3DS dev kits
* Craig (IGN) has heard the 3D effect is very cool
* Rumor: "3DS" To Be Officially Called "Nintendo DST" (according to a Natsume press release)

This is a mock up that we've all seen but its my favourite and most workable to me.

Image2..jpg

The most interesting part is their own speculation:

QUOTEHere is where I'll freeform my opinions about the product, based on what I know about Nintendo's history and the blurbs of information I acquire over time ...

* I concur at the $199 price point. This means the tech inside this unit musn't exceed about $140 in order for Nintendo to make it's always-present-profit-margin on launch hardware.
* Based on $140'ish limit on the tech cost, I do not believe we'll see anything close to 360/PS3 inside this unit from a pure cost perspective alone. Gamecube/Dreamcast/PS2? Absolutely.
* I could see Nintendo reducing profit margin on this release simply to pack in more stuff in hopes of combatting other portable/mobile devices. An extra $10 or so can offer up a lot of extra tech. They will still make money.
* Nintendo has a watchful eye on battery life; which leads me to believe "raw power" won't be the crux of this handheld - although it will receive a significant "bump" technologically from the existing DS line.
* We will finally see a proper "Virtual Console" happen on this hardware; bringing up to N64 games on the unit. We will finally see Gameboy games available as the budget titles - and get this; I believe DS games will be available for the "Virtual Console".
* This unit will defintely "wow" many core gamers. This will be seen as the "Super Gameboy" as well as the "DS Successor".
* The screens will be EVEN CLOSER now and yes, this time, they will BOTH be touch ... BUT ...
* My predictions? There will NOT be a second screen! The unit will have a SINGLE high resolution, touch screen that, when put into portrait mode, will emulate the Nintendo DS's double screens.
* If they keep two screens, I can see the top screen being simply a DS compatible screen, and the lower screen will be "vertical letterboxed" like SD content is on HD tvs. The physical screen differences has always made the DS unique - but I think Nintendo is going to do away with it and move to "HD" single screen gaming. It would please the developers and gamers alike. Personally, I'll miss it.
* For 3D to work, you need a lot more pixels and a lot more processing. I figure the bottom/solo screen will be about the resolution of my Droid; 800x400ish.
* Two cameras; the external camera will get a boost from the existing DSi tech (3-5MP), but the internal camera will probably be stock DSi.
* Look for a slicker UI, like an Android or iPhone - but with a Mario/Ninty twist.
* The "online shop" will be it's own separate entity; you will not be playing DSiWare games on the 3DS.
* Yes, scary enough - the Vitality Sensor will work with the 3DS ...
* This unit will finally get Wii integration proper - possibly letting you play virtual console games you purchase on Wii right on your 3DS!
* They will still find a way to dick up video and audio playback, even though the unit is perfectly capable of beautiful video playback and enhanced audio playback. Forget MP3s and Xvid. AAC and MP4 is what I'd wager - and even then, expect the lid to be tight.
* TV out via HDMI? Not even CLOSE to being out of the question. In fact, I'd bet on it (even if it requires an add on dock).
* Expect the wifi capabilities to finally enter this century. We will see a significant increase in speed to support the larger downloads.
* Accelerometer? Damn right we'll have one. It will be at least as good as an iTouch.
* Goodbye SD card slot ... Welcome, microSD card slot.
* Watch for a mysterious external port on the unit - that no one knows what it's for - labeled EXT ...
* Battery life will be on par with the DSi, and yes, they will change power plugs again. (Sigh, if only they would go miniUSB like everything else I own ...)
* 512MB internal STORAGE memory, up to 16GB on the SD card. Don't worry, there will be no refrigeration shuffle this time - that's why the internal storage is so small.
* Music playback during DS gaming? Yeah, this will be COMPLETELY possible - if not at launch, it will probably come later. Playback during 3DS gaming? Probably not.

I think these are pretty in-line with Nintendo and pricing. While all of these things are surely POSSIBLE - we know Nintendo drops the "obvious balls" sometimes.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
* The "online shop" will be it's own separate entity; you will not be playing DSiWare games on the 3DS.
* TV out via HDMI? Not even CLOSE to being out of the question. In fact, I'd bet on it (even if it requires an add on dock).
  • I'm almost positive that Nintendo will not be dropping DSiware. Anything new will be separate and not a replacement for it.
  • Who would want/need HDMI out for the 3DS? :\
  • Hmm, don't think so. More products use SD than microSD. And Nintendo isn't one to change up something like that.
The whole "widescreen on top and 4:3 on the bottom" idea is something that I hope isn't on the final product. Symmetry does a lot for a product's aesthetics.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Mario Kart DST anyone?
tongue.gif

nice speculation...
I'm really diggin the idea of a new Mario Kart handheld game. That with a combination of 3G connectivity would be pure and utter sex. Hell, I'd pay for a membership if they did something like that.
yay.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicslasher said:
QUOTE said:
  • I'm almost positive that Nintendo will not be dropping DSiware. Anything new will be separate and not a replacement for it.

• Didn't say they will drop the service, they just don't think it would be on 3DS.

Need something to keep the DSi sales going.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
Sonicslasher said:
QUOTE said:

• Didn't say they will drop the service, they just don't think it would be on 3DS.

• While it may be possible that DSiware will be DSi exclusive, I'd be hard pressed to think that Nintendo would put front and rear facing cameras on the 3DS without a gaming purpose. DSiware is known mainly for it's camera games (or at least that's what I think of when I hear it).

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicslasher said:
Gaydrian said:
Sonicslasher said:
QUOTE said:

• While it may be possible that DSiware will be DSi exclusive, I'd be hard pressed to think that Nintendo would put front and rear facing cameras on the 3DS without a gaming purpose. DSiware is known mainly for it's camera games (or at least that's what I think of when I hear it).

• Front for head tracking, back for taking pictures. They did say that "some" DSi titles will be compatible when they announced it.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What I'm expecting is that this will be tough as nails to hack.

Look at all the success with the DSi. That was the test run. Nintendo has a good idea what to do now.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:

Look at all the success with the DSi. That was the test run. Nintendo has a good idea what to do now.
The DSi didn't really have a need to be hacked. Well, nothing really "needs" to be hacked, but there wasn't a terribly great amount of motivation to do it. That and it didn't nearly have as many people trying as did the GBA or NDS.

My prediction? 3-5 months from launch until a commercial 3DS rom is able to run on it.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Most of those "based on what I know about Nintendo's history and the blurbs of information" are pretty much the opposite of what Nintendo's history would point toward.

The no dsiware on 3ds he says simply means you can't transfer your dsiware games over to the new console. A terrible problem Nintendo has had since it started selling games via the internet.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I saw the OP screenshot before and am i the only one tho thinks that it looks terrible and thinks that it would feel horrible trying to play the old DS games on it?

I myself am expecting it to be very ipod like sorta like this:

tumblr_kzupextAHE1qzpbds.jpg

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sonicslasher said:
regnad said:

The DSi didn't really have a need to be hacked. Well, nothing really "needs" to be hacked, but there wasn't a terribly great amount of motivation to do it. That and it didn't nearly have as many people trying as did the GBA or NDS.

My prediction? 3-5 months from launch until a commercial 3DS rom is able to run on it.

I've read that excuse so many times -- basically, to paraphrase, the DSi hasn't been hacked because, meh, nobody felt like doing it. If they wanted to, they could do it, they're just too busy/don't feel like it/don't find it challenging enough/have to get the laundry and dishes done first, and if there's time, maybe.

Does anyone really believe this? REALLY?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
regnad said:
I've read that excuse so many times -- basically, to paraphrase, the DSi hasn't been hacked because, meh, nobody felt like doing it.

[...]

Does anyone really believe this? REALLY?
Yes.

Basically, there is no real pressure to hack the DSi. Once they got DS and GBA games running, most users (and hackers) felt they've done enough.

The way most consoles are cracked is to have a huge, massive flood of people using, watching, hacking, poking, prodding, dismantling, electrocuting and comparing notes. The fewer people doing it, the longer it takes. Once they got games and regular DS homebrew, once the flood abated, there's only a (relatively) few people left going at it, at their own pace. It takes a lot of man-hours to crack a console. Less people = more hours. The DSi will get cracked... in a few years.

Also, the best hackers are working for flashcart companies. Once their cart can run games, there's no incentive to do anything else. The "crack" you're after requires custom firmware, and would be used to run software from an SD card or internal memory. There's no interest in it for flashcart makers, and that effectively removes a lot of good hackers from the scene. Only if enough DSi-exclusives comes out on cartriges will flashcart people get back into cracking it.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Terenigma said:
I saw the OP screenshot before and am i the only one tho thinks that it looks terrible and thinks that it would feel horrible trying to play the old DS games on it?

I myself am expecting it to be very ipod like sorta like this:

tumblr_kzupextAHE1qzpbds.jpg

OP's is way better compared to that. That looks shite and makes it seem impossible to play when closed, just no.

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
Trophies
Website
intheseaofclouds.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think It'll have 1 screen (up to down) because
it won't be a 3 Dual Screen
but if it's a 3D Screen than it would be cool =3

I think the 3ds will have 2 screen and in 3D you will be able to see 1 screen
(I'll try to make a picture)

schermafbeelding2010060i.png

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terenigma said:
I see DS games not playing as well but then I'd only play DS games on my Phat just like I prefer to play GBA on GBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    that phat is mint too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I would Not trust anything from gamestop, ive read people buying stuff new under warranty, then something happens and they return to get fixed under they warranty to only get a used 2nd hand unit back, that bs
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @realtimesave, i made some research and its a super slim
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, I haven't modded a Xbox 360 before, looks easy to mod, but difficult to take apart lol. I've done OG Xboxes before.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard dkoldies is worse
    they aren't that hard to take apart. I can pop them apart with a jeweler's screwdriver any more
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, DKOldies is a scam.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've already seen a lot of videos about them, and people no longer care.
    @Xdqwerty that's ok tho if you ever needed another model they are only like 60-80 dollars on offerup. pretty cheap
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    eBay sells Xbox 360s for £30.
    I wonder if there's an hdmi adapter for the old model
    cos that jtag works pretty damn good
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, ik its a scam, thats why i mentioned it
    +1
    even though it is a system prone to rrod which it doesn't have
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I would not recommend 360 phat models anymore, slims are better, and RGH3 possible, phats only rgh1 or jtag
    +1
    ya but phat has ps2 chip in it :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This is a great buying guide that I recommend.
    my rgh systems glitch pretty damn fast
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Except Winchester, which even to this day, is not moddable.
    +1
    now I'm trying to figure out PS4 modding.
    +1
    looks easy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, It definitely did take a while for the PS4 to be fully hacked, much like the PS Vita.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sony has announced that they will be using a non-x86 processor for their next-gen console.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Amazon fire sticks switching to a custom linuxOs instead of Android, sucks for 3rd party some
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Amazon fire sticks switching to a custom linuxOs instead of Android, sucks for 3rd party some