Hardware Homebrew app accidentally forgot to unmount SD card while using godmode9. is my SD card straight?

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello all! i am definitely being overly paranoid but i just wanted to hear yalls input. yesterday while sitting at the godmode9 home menu (no processes or transfers were taking place) i meant to swap out game carts but muscle memory made me take out the SD card instead. i obviously didnt unmount it, and gm9 gave me an alert telling me not to do that. the SD card still reads fine and everything is where it should be, i just wanted to make sure i didnt do any damage to my card. if i were to damage my card it would become instantly unreadable, correct? i just dont want things to seem fine and then suddenly my sd card craps out on me. its the first time ive ever removed this SD card improperly. thanks for any input!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hello all! i am definitely being overly paranoid but i just wanted to hear yalls input. yesterday while sitting at the godmode9 home menu (no processes or transfers were taking place) i meant to swap out game carts but muscle memory made me take out the SD card instead. i obviously didnt unmount it, and gm9 gave me an alert telling me not to do that. the SD card still reads fine and everything is where it should be, i just wanted to make sure i didnt do any damage to my card. if i were to damage my card it would become instantly unreadable, correct? i just dont want things to seem fine and then suddenly my sd card craps out on me. its the first time ive ever removed this SD card improperly. thanks for any input!
Shouldn't do anything bad. The SD itself should be fine anyway. Those can be hotplugged from hardware perspective.

If something gets damaged it is the file system. Some people never unmount USB drives or SDs on their computers. In most cases nothing bad happens (still not a good idea to not unmount). If a write process wasn't finished the new file(s) will be missing or corrupted on the SD.
Under rare circumstances the file system can be damaged, even rarer is heavy damage. You can run a file system check, fsck.vfat -a in Linux and I think it was chkdsk /f in Windows (my Windows knowledge is rusty – there should be an option in the GUI as well when right-clicking on the SD drive and opening "properties"). If the check finds any errors it is not necessarily from removing the SD in GodMode9; FAT can get mildly damaged all the time for no real reason and normally it is irrelevant.

To put it short: I don't expect anything bad.

Backup your data nevertheless (has nothing to do with not unmounting the SD in GodMode9). Any storage medium can go bad any time – please have look at my signature.

Good luck and have fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Orange ocean Hawaiian punch is pretty good but @BigOnYa keeps putting vodka in it