Anbernic reveals the RG35XXSP, a GBA SP-inspired retro handheld

anbernic rg35xxsp.jpg

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic has revealed its first clamshell device: the Anbernic RG35XXSP. As the suffix indicates, this handheld's design is inspired by the GBA SP but it should be capable of playing more than just GBA games. While full specs of the device have yet to be revealed, the naming convention indicates that it will likely be another RG35XX device, just in another form factor. This means packing the quad-core H700 chip and the company has confirmed that the device will support HDMI connection, Bluetooth 4.2 and WiFi connectivity.

No availability or pricing for the Anbernic RG35XXSP have been announced but we should expect the company to provide more details in the coming weeks.

:arrow: SOURCE

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a second I thought it was Nintendo re-releasing the GBA SP. I'm disappointed and not interested, then.
Post automatically merged:

It really feels like this happens weekly.
Would buy a GBA mini so fast

Reactions: Marc_LFD

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the GBA SP was one of the best handheld consoles ever released. The size and clamshell design was perfect. Even now it still has so much potential. Despite that the resolution did not work well for portable versions of NES/SNES games, I actually didn't mind some of the NES Classic games like Zelda with the doctored graphics. Still feels close on original hardware on a CRT tv. I was impressed. So while not perfect, there is a potential back library as well.

I wish Nintendo wasn't so draconian and still showed some love for SP. If they supported indie development on it with official tools, that would be incredible. However, the moon has a higher chance of crashing into the Earth than Nintendo being nice to their retro consoles fans.

So while I too do not wish to add to the e-waste pile with yet another screen, stuff like these portable emulation console are tempting. We have a Switch with retro games on it, but it's this big giant brick that doesn't fit nicely in my pocket.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I can hardly wait for the market to be flooded like this for retro handhelds, but utilizing FPGA instead of emulation. This emulation trend of handhelds needs to fuck off and die already. Anbernic releases so many of these, they're competing with themselves in their own market.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can hardly wait for the market to be flooded like this for retro handhelds, but utilizing FPGA instead of emulation. This emulation trend of handhelds needs to fuck off and die already. Anbernic releases so many of these, they're competing with themselves in their own market.
I agree to an extent, but I've slowly come around to appreciating Miyoo and Anbernic, they actually produce products with decent build quality for their cost. It's every other company with a random name trying to copy these designs that people should avoid like the plague. AYN is a good choice for the mid-tier above these, and if you're looking for a more costly all-in-one solution, that's Steam Deck.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree to an extent, but I've slowly come around to appreciating Miyoo and Anbernic, they actually produce products with decent build quality for their cost. It's every other company with a random name trying to copy these designs that people should avoid like the plague. AYN is a good choice for the mid-tier above these, and if you're looking for a more costly all-in-one solution, that's Steam Deck.
Yeah, I've been wanting a Miyoo Mini Plus lately, because of the modded buttons and stuff you can get for them now. And I'll be able to design a custom 3D-printed insert for it as well, for safe protected storage.

Reactions: Xzi

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there is the GBA Micro, but it'll cost ya $100+. 😆

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg

There's always the DS Lite turned into one screen, except it's kind of annoying the cart sticks out. Not a big deal, tbh.

jbuoq86xih921.jpg
Yes but I would love a little purple GBA mini loaded with games ala NES mini with modern screen, usb c etc

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I'm shocked at how many people dislike a GBA SP clone.

We're lucky to live in a time where emulation devices are everywhere and accessible and anything that helps "legitimize" and popularize emulation keeps it going stronger.

Though they crank new units out every other week, and it's a concern for the e-waste/disposable lifestyle trend we live in, which is a whole other kind of worry.

At the end of the day, though, this is kind of perfect. There's never been a hyper portable emulation device, at least that I can think of, that's small enough to fit in a pair of women's pants pockets and still be usable.

However, buying a portable, pocketable device to play GBA and SNES feels a little over the top. An OG DS Lite gets you a lot more usability for not much more size. I dunno. It's a weird one.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We're lucky to live in a time where emulation devices are everywhere and accessible and anything that helps "legitimize" and popularize emulation keeps it going stronger.

Though they crank new units out every other week, and it's a concern for the e-waste/disposable lifestyle trend we live in, which is a whole other kind of worry.

At the end of the day, though, this is kind of perfect. There's never been a hyper portable emulation device, at least that I can think of, that's small enough to fit in a pair of women's pants pockets and still be usable.

However, buying a portable, pocketable device to play GBA and SNES feels a little over the top. An OG DS Lite gets you a lot more usability for not much more size. I dunno. It's a weird one.
My hype is just the fact they rarely do anything different like the flip style anymore, we finally get something different and people shout ewaste still. The powkiddy v90 was a hit but that was like a $40 release. Knowing Anbernic this will fall in the $150 category. I'll wait to snag one on Aliexpress for like $80. We need to praise companies for actually doing a different design instead of just oh look another money grab. It may push them into thinking wow customers really want something different.

Reactions: MaladroitJoypad

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that's why.

Anbernic just keeps crapping out more handhelds and for whom? Surely they're just going to end up as eWaste or sold at a loss eventually.

I really wish this thread was about Nintendo making new GBA SPs and I'd so pre-order it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately SNES emulation kinda sucks on DS, otherwise DS Lite would be all I really need in most cases. Better (but still not great) on 3DS.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately SNES emulation kinda sucks on DS, otherwise DS Lite would be all I really need in most cases. Better (but still not great) on 3DS.
What about the DSi?

Having two screens for games that only use one screen is kind of unnecessary, but you can't remove it... Unless you're this asshole:

The DS Lite was in impeccable condition (the screens didn't look like they had any scratches either) and he broke it for a YouTube video. Smh.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"fit in a pair of women's pants pockets"

objection, we all know these are just sewed on nowadays or totally absent

Reactions: Xzi and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You ewaste shouters, this is awesome look at all the people spending $150+ for screen mods and what not.
I'd rather do that and get the full GBA functionality.. However, this isn't meant to be a replacement for SPs... so, the comparison doesn't make sense..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage