Asus reveals the ROG Ally X, with better battery life and more "repair-friendly" design

aaaaa.png

Drumming up hype by teasing a new product, with its formal reveal to come next month is Asus, who just announced the latest revision to their ROG Ally handheld. Titled the ROG Ally X, it'll be a refresh to the original model, sporting improvement in various ways, such as better battery life, a new black color scheme, being more "repair friendly", swappable analog sticks, and support for larger M.2 drives. The Ally X will still feature the same screen and hardware internals as the original did, with an AMD Z1/Extreme CPU powering the device and its 1080p 7-inch LCD screen.

Asus teased more details to arrive on June 2nd, where we'll get to learn more about how Asus has improved the RAM, ports, and the "significant" upgrade to the upcoming device's battery.

:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They should just design these with a clip on the back to slide on a PD power bank.
I had an old iPhone case that was basically this. Stayed plugged into the phone with a battery you can instantly swap out for another one that’s charged. Great system.

I know Arctis have something similar for their Nova Pro headset but I really would love to see a PC handheld designed around this.

Reactions: Jayro and BigOnYa

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I have to wonder whether this will put any sort of pressure on Valve to release a Steam Deck 2. Would love to see something with upgraded specs. I kinda doubt it though, I've been waiting for ages for Valve to release their next VR headset.

I very much doubt it. This is still LCD and still Windows, so Steam Deck OLED is still arguably the better portable, especially when considering the lower price point.

Valve won't likelly release a more powerful machine for a while. They aimed for the consolized experience that went through the process of re-cataloging their games with Deck certification. New hardware would make what was supposed to be simple as complex. It'll eventually happen, but not so soon. The Deck is only 2 years old and even if we should expect a shorter lifespawn than a traditional console, it just received its mid-life update.

swappable analog stick?? holyy shieettt
Post automatically merged:

sorry to say this but the fact that it’s windows is actually better for some people. not everyone is a fan of linux os. you can run epic games, older windows game, any windows program for modding seamlessly.

also you do realize the lower price point also equal to lower raw performance right? since the steam deck is much older
There will be use cases where the Ally is preferable but you're understating what the Deck can do: https://github.com/moraroy/NonSteamLaunchers-On-Steam-Deck. Not to mention you can run Windows on Deck and dual boot it. The Ally advantage ends up being raw preformance alone. That and VRR.

Reactions: KingVamp and Xzi

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
got the rog ally burned micro sd twice now i ve just replaced nvme and left it like this tired of the sd failure and 20 days of waiting to return from rma formatted as if they replaced my nvme too...
the legion currently is my champ , the screen is comparable to oled steam deck

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope with steam deck linux gaming is becoming more popular so that we don’t need to get chained down with wine/proton and company like epic/the modding community actually provides native support for linux

Funnily enough, just yesterday I saw this video about some of the problems native ports can have:

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And what will be the price?
That's already out dated now
Not for the price!! And if you compare to the legion, ally and even the claw there's not much performance difference while costing less, plus it has a better system/ecosystem and better human interface options which to me matters the most.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've played around with a steam deck and I own an Ayaneo Geek 2S, and both feel like they're missing something.

The arguments are going to remain the same for a couple more years. Steam has the easier to use handheld OS. Windows machines have the best compatibility and most power. They're already coming out with AMD 8k chips, and they're not that much of a bump over the 7k chips. If you want to get one for your first device, they'll do the job, but they're not worth an upgrade.

The REAL jump in generation will be when they start implementing decent GPU's into these things (Without destroying the battery life). Hopefully we'll see Nvidia do something like that.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
i wish these companies test and spend time developing good system with long battery and better performance instead selling beta phase hardware for us to test and than be like
oh we released new system 3 month later, its way better than old one that you ALREADY BOUGHT!!!

I mean i get it when they develop a new revision of the system after 3-4 years, but this is just to early. it would be exuivalent of game release with day one patch.
I mean distribute the game that is pre patched without need to update day one. makes no sense.

Reactions: FateForWindows

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OS itself is largely irrelevant because you can install Windows on a Steam Deck and HoloISO on an Ally. The biggest selling point on the Ally is the eGPU support. other than that, I would have to pick the Steam Deck every time. The lower resolution is actually a big plus in my opinion, and with the OLED supporting 90Hz, it's a great compromise between flashy screens and decent performance

Reactions: Xzi

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Deck is still the king for a while in cost/benefit ratio and pure gaming performance, but I'd rather buy a GPD or Ayaneo products for the superior overall performance and usage as an actual PC when needed.

I'll be getting an used Ayaneo 2 pretty soon.

i wish these companies test and spend time developing good system with long battery and better performance instead selling beta phase hardware for us to test and than be like
oh we released new system 3 month later, its way better than old one that you ALREADY BOUGHT!!!

I mean i get it when they develop a new revision of the system after 3-4 years, but this is just to early. it would be exuivalent of game release with day one patch.
I mean distribute the game that is pre patched without need to update day one. makes no sense.

They (Chinese companies, at least) release new revision of portable PCs twice a year.
This is no surprise and should be the norm.
If you're happy with your current device, keep it.
If you can afford a new one, go for it.

It's no different than the cell phone market, which ALSO did not need a new revision every 6-12 months.
I have just accepted that I will keep skipping many revisions.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The OS itself is largely irrelevant because you can install Windows on a Steam Deck and HoloISO on an Ally. The biggest selling point on the Ally is the eGPU support. other than that, I would have to pick the Steam Deck every time. The lower resolution is actually a big plus in my opinion, and with the OLED supporting 90Hz, it's a great compromise between flashy screens and decent performance
The eGPU support was what sold me on the Ally in the first place as somebody who already had an XG Mobile. I'd be shocked if the next generation of Steam Deck didn't support Oculink though. Seems like every other handheld coming out has a port nowadays, and the eGPU docks are super cheap too. It's a good standard for companies to be moving towards if nothing else.

Reactions: mituzora

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eGPU support was what sold me on the Ally in the first place as somebody who already had an XG Mobile. I'd be shocked if the next generation of Steam Deck didn't support Oculink though. Seems like every other handheld coming out has a port nowadays, and the eGPU docks are super cheap too. It's a good standard for companies to be moving towards if nothing else.
Either that, or USB 4/Thunderbolt support for eGPU enclosures. I doubt they'd go thunderbolt though because of the cost of getting thunderbolt certified.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Either that, or USB 4/Thunderbolt support for eGPU enclosures. I doubt they'd go thunderbolt though because of the cost of getting thunderbolt certified.
The larger issue with Thunderbolt is the fact it's an Intel-specific standard, and most of these handhelds are rocking AMD (the Claw aside). USB 4 generally does allow for eGPUs, but it's not actually a requirement of the standard annoyingly. There's also the fact that TB4/USB4 eGPUs are reaaaaaaaaally awkward to work with. I swear they used to work much better. Had a Core X Chroma for several years now and trying to use it with my various Mini PCs and systems never really results in anything good, even once I'm past the hellscape of drivers.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The larger issue with Thunderbolt is the fact it's an Intel-specific standard, and most of these handhelds are rocking AMD (the Claw aside). USB 4 generally does allow for eGPUs, but it's not actually a requirement of the standard annoyingly. There's also the fact that TB4/USB4 eGPUs are reaaaaaaaaally awkward to work with. I swear they used to work much better. Had a Core X Chroma for several years now and trying to use it with my various Mini PCs and systems never really results in anything good, even once I'm past the hellscape of drivers.
That's totally fair. I just assumed that AMD powered machines didn't typically have them because of the licensing costs, because Apple Silicon can use thunderbolt no problem. I'm well aware it's an Intel standard, but again, because Apple Silicon uses thunderbolt, I just assumed it was more of the licensing cost more than a hard Intel CPU requirement.

Reactions: Scarlet

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
swappable analog stick?? holyy shieettt
Post automatically merged:

sorry to say this but the fact that it’s windows is actually better for some people. not everyone is a fan of linux os. you can run epic games, older windows game, any windows program for modding seamlessly.

also you do realize the lower price point also equal to lower raw performance right? since the steam deck is much older
What’s the big deal with swappable analog sticks? Is there that much of a difference between what asus provides and what else is out there?

Swappable face buttons would be much better. Would love to use an ally with face buttons that have a GameCube feel to them

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What’s the big deal with swappable analog sticks? Is there that much of a difference between what asus provides and what else is out there?

Swappable face buttons would be much better. Would love to use an ally with face buttons that have a GameCube feel to them
a lot of people like to swap their analog sticks with taller sticks for some reason. if the entire module switches out, I could see this being good for switching to hall-effect sticks. I like the cross-pattern face buttons, but I agree that it would be nice to swap them out with something else. also some people are really aggressive with their sticks, so swapping out the modules easier would be a nice feature.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Give me touchpads. That's the one thing stopping me from considering the Ally over the Deck. If I'm going to buy a handheld gaming PC, I want it to actually be good for playing games made for PC, otherwise I might as well stick to the Switch. Analog sticks suck for camera control, and many games have a mouse only UI, traditional gamepad controls are just not a good experience in many games.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that