Homebrew Commercial ROM Loading with MoonShell 2 & YSMenu Guide

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea Sorry, I did not use YSmenu @ all... i figured using normmatt's loader, i didn't need to. That's why i didn't include YSmenu in my guide.

I edited my previous post mentioning about not needing YSMENU.

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Vampirex
...you're kidding. You didn't even need YSMenu? All that was required was Normmatt's loader and your steps?

That's seriously great pieces of information right there; I'm finally gonna be doing some updating again
happy.gif

Thanks so much.

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blackiris said:
@Vampirex
...you're kidding. You didn't even need YSMenu? All that was required was Normmatt's loader and your steps?

That's seriously great pieces of information right there; I'm finally gonna be doing some updating again
happy.gif

Thanks so much.

Yea it was all trial and error. I was looking up your guide and normmatt's post. And was just playing around and figuring out myself the steps judging from your posts.

Can you edit the guide where the part " you can soft reset to AKAIO " . Its more like "You can exit moonshell and load AKAIO using the Exit to Firmware" the soft reset(L+R+A+B+DOWN) boots back to moonshell.

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Vampirex
Ah, I see, I'll edit that part right away.

Although I have to ask some questions about the soft-reset to finally ensure a working guide.
smile.gif

1) If you run a game directly from MoonShell 2, can you soft-reset? And where will it soft-reset to?
2) If you use AKAIO to run a game after selecting "Exit To Firmware", same as above, can you soft-reset and where will it lead to?

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blackiris said:
@Vampirex
Ah, I see, I'll edit that part right away.

Although I have to ask some questions about the soft-reset to finally ensure a working guide.
smile.gif

1) If you run a game directly from MoonShell 2, can you soft-reset? And where will it soft-reset to?
2) If you use AKAIO to run a game after selecting "Exit To Firmware", same as above, can you soft-reset and where will it lead to?

Good Questions...

Answers:
1)It soft-resets to Moonshell ( it loads akmenu4.nds )
2)If i run game in AKAIO and soft-reset, brings me back to Moonshell.

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hey people, i figured out how to use cheat!
to be honest not really use cheat, just use a program called:"DSATM_with_CHEAT"!! It a program that insert cheat code in the last line of arm7!Theres a checkbox for DSTT games!
So put the game ID+cheat code and mark the checkbox! and check the option "Enable at start"!

So with this i can manage Jump Ultimate Stars, dragon quest V, and GTACW!To run on ysmenu with no need to use the funcion cheat!

So now moonshell2.00 10 can run this games and dont need to boot to ysmenu!

The only think was missing is "exit to formware" can back to ysmenu! i try put ysmenu.nds renamed to R4TF.nds in the /resetmse folder!
They work but loads the last aplication that ysmenu load in moonshell!and dont stop in the firmware of ysmenu!

and the soft reset, its horrible need to use the power botton everytime!!i search on the web and nothing!Its just work for phat and others fc!but none on R4 with ndslite!

I read that maybe puting reset.mse from moonshell 1.7 and extracting r4 reset.dat from the original firmware and put into TTMENU folder may fix it!Or not!But cant find the R4 firmware real files!
mad.gif

So i give up, waiting for R4sauto to make one one day!
unsure.gif

at least moonshell make fell like i have a m3real now, with many features, runing every homebrew and every nds rom!but with no softreset!crap!

powser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The supercard ds one can run TTMenu and YSMenu, so has anyone tried it on their Supercard DS One?

It will be godsend to those ppl still living on the Supercard's ancient mooonshell

unneon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
abilaunken said:
hey people, i figured out how to use cheat!
to be honest not really use cheat, just use a program called:"DSATM_with_CHEAT"!! It a program that insert cheat code in the last line of arm7!Theres a checkbox for DSTT games!
So put the game ID+cheat code and mark the checkbox! and check the option "Enable at start"!

So with this i can manage Jump Ultimate Stars, dragon quest V, and GTACW!To run on ysmenu with no need to use the funcion cheat!

So now moonshell2.00 10 can run this games and dont need to boot to ysmenu!

The only think was missing is "exit to formware" can back to ysmenu! i try put ysmenu.nds renamed to R4TF.nds in the /resetmse folder!
They work but loads the last aplication that ysmenu load in moonshell!and dont stop in the firmware of ysmenu!

and the soft reset, its horrible need to use the power botton everytime!!i search on the web and nothing!Its just work for phat and others fc!but none on R4 with ndslite!

I read that maybe puting reset.mse from moonshell 1.7 and extracting r4 reset.dat from the original firmware and put into TTMENU folder may fix it!Or not!But cant find the R4 firmware real files!
mad.gif

So i give up, waiting for R4sauto to make one one day!
unsure.gif

at least moonshell make fell like i have a m3real now, with many features, runing every homebrew and every nds rom!but with no softreset!crap!
if you use moonshell2 as firmware, back to firmware will not work
you have 2 choices:
1-Use my loader and load ysmenu.nds on moonshell
2-Use linoul's loader and load any game pressing B, this will open ysmenu

I can't fix the slow problem of my loader, I'm having problem when I'm trying to edit text files manually
I'm busy now, but I can create an Backtofirmware/backtoysmenu homebrew later.

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thx dude really enjoy if u create bak to firmware to ysmenu like R4TF.nds!
yaypsp.gif

if u do its only left the softreset bug into the games! and will be perfect new firmware for R4 and others!

But of course to be 100% good need to auto start cheat when loading a game from moonshell using the cheat pre configured in ysmenu options!

But like i said, to use cheat just use DSATM program and insert the cheat directly into arm7 with the option auto start cheat and dstt checked!
yaypsp.gif

unneon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
abilaunken said:
Thx dude really enjoy if u create bak to firmware to ysmenu like R4TF.nds!
yaypsp.gif

if u do its only left the softreset bug into the games! and will be perfect new firmware for R4 and others!

But of course to be 100% good need to auto start cheat when loading a game from moonshell using the cheat pre configured in ysmenu options!

But like i said, to use cheat just use DSATM program and insert the cheat directly into arm7 with the option auto start cheat and dstt checked!
yaypsp.gif
http://www.easy-share.com/1904950915/BacktoFirmware.rar
Edit:
I made another version of my plugin:
http://www.easy-share.com/1904954428/Unneon Moonshell2 Plugins 02-05-09 eng.rar
Changes:
-You can place ysmenu.nds and ysmenu.ini in this folders: (root), TTMenu, YSMenu ; Don't need a config file
-I can be crazy, but I think it is faster. Counting the seconds, it used the same time of linous's loader to load a rom
-Now it comes with Back to Firmware function to moonshell2, that opens ysmenu
-I made an Install.bat. It doesn't install ysmenu, but copy the files to moonshell2 folder. You can copy manually too

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay okay okay OKAY, so let me try to get this straight...@_@

@powser
You know, you yourself can try it sometime if you can, it will surely help the others with your flashcart too =) (not unless, as usual, someone else confirms it working)

@abilaunken
Can you please provide a step-by-step guide on getting cheats in the game without having to boot YSMenu first? Please mention the flashcart and the MoonShell beta you're using. Also, anyone else confirming that this works is much appreciated. ^^

@unneon
Before I change anything, I'm going to assume that the two files you posted here are 1) "Exit To Firmware" NDS file named R4TF.nds that boots YSMenu and 2) Another new version of your loader. If I got anything wrong, please tell me and after reading your reply I will update the guide with your new plugins.
wink.gif

@Vampirex
Whoa...dude, that means we have soft-reset 100% confirmed working for AKAIO users! Thank you for your contribution to this guide, really.

ILIKEFOOD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im using this on ak2 AKAIO, everything works fine except that Normmatt's AKAIO loader only works when the nds is in the root, is there any fix for this because its incredibly inconvenient

also is Normmatt's AKAIO loader the only method for AKAIO users or will ysmenu loader work with it to?

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ILIKEFLOOD
Are you sure about that? And you're following the guide & using the same recommended versions of AKAIO and such? If yes, I've never heard of an "NDS file has to be at root for loader to work" problem from anyone...the unfortunate thing here is I can't help you since, again, the guide mentions it twice already, I do not have an Acekard 2. Please wait for Vampirex's reply as he's the creator of the guide, or another user who knows a solution to this.

Meanwhile, if you're gonna try the YSMenu loader, try to follow the non-AKAIO steps in the guide since I'm still not sure about Acekard 2 on its own. You don't have to, but still, you could and it'd help ^^;

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ILIKEFOOD
Its not normmatt's loader that dosn't let roms load from folders. Its Moonshell itself, if you want to run roms, place them in the root.

Ysmenu is not needed if you have Acekard 2 and AKAIO, unless you really want to use Ysmenu (I can't see why.. its alot slower than normmatt's loader). I have a guide up in the specific Acekard gbatemp forum. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=152660

ILIKEFOOD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya the problem is that i dont want to have to move roms to the root

anyway i used the guide from the first post for regular ak2 and it works perfectly, CONFIRMED
toot.gif
The only part i got messed up on was that ysmenu.nds needs to be manually DLDI patched to work and i couldnt find the dldi for ak2 on the DLDI link above. lucky i had it randomly stored on my computer somewhere
so now i have moonshell running on startup with nds rom support in any folder through ysmenu AND back to firmware loads AKAIO

and quick question: is it possible to do the same thing with emulators and extract the loader and put it in extlink? how would you do this? (i know it has nes already there but id like to have others)

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im glad it works for you =), the only thing about ysmenu i don't like compared to AKAIO loader is no soft-reset , and longer loading times.

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ILIKEFLOOD
The DLDI of Acekard 2's probably in the AutoDLDIpatch folder of the MoonShell 2 package if it's not anywhere. (that's where I found the DSTT)

It is possible, but I don't know who knows how to ^^;

But I'm pretty sure that there was a GBAtemp-official-English MoonShell 2 package I downloaded which already had SNES, Genesis, GB/C & MAME emulators in the extlink. I think it was the Beta 5 package.

Also, thank you for confirming the AK2 method!
toot.gif
You are now a Tester! Yaaaaaaay!
happy.gif

@Vampirex
Oh, I didn't know you had your own guide up there. This one is a general compilation of all compatible flashcarts, but since I definitely cannot handle Acekard 2 question, would you mind if I put a link to your guide in the first post?
huh.gif

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Blackiris
No i don't mind at all. Anyways, it was thanks to your post who made this possible anyways =)

P.S. Oh by the way, you have the those emulator loaders for moonshell 2 u mentioned in the previous post. im looking for those actually

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Its not really funny, that's why not.