ds scene is dead. im retiring

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah im serious, most ds developers are either not arround anymore or they don't make ds stuff anymore. ds development is quite hard
If you need help with something, then just say so. No need to make a rant post.
Because after all, don't give up, and keep trying! You'll get better at it each time you try.
You might make a homebrew as good as TWiLight Menu++ (which I developed, and is recent), WordleDS (another recent one), or any of the good new or old DS(i) homebrew out there, if you don't give up!

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Meme Lord
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Programming for the DS is not as hard as it looks. There are plenty of guides out there on how to program in C and C++, you'll find it more easier to work with these languages once you get used to them. And there's also this guide too: https://gbatemp.net/download/ds-programming-101-from-zero-to-hero.37350/
Post automatically merged:

Don't give up on hope by making a rant about what you think you've failed at, give it another go.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DS-scene the site is definitely dead but the actual homebrew scene is still relatively active. There's always room for something new and no one is going to be upset with new projects showing up.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 scene is also dead. It was really lots of fun. I've never FTP'd so hard (and slow) in my life!
Post automatically merged:

DS-scene the site is definitely dead but the actual homebrew scene is still relatively active. There's always room for something new and no one is going to be upset with new projects showing up.
Looks at @IS1982

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah im serious, most ds developers are either not arround anymore or they don't make ds stuff anymore.
Are you kidding?
Have you looked around here? @FluBBa , @wavemotion , @elhobbs to name a few of the big ones are continuing to develop homebrews or portig emulators to DS/DSi, or improving them. This forum is more alive and participated than ever.
If you need advice, ask these great experts in the field for help.

Edit: Oops! ... I was forgetting to mention our dear @RocketRobz . 😉

Last edited by Nikokaro,

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what fame do u have claim to?

Who are you?

Who are you again? 🤡

Release PA2lib (a nintendo ds programming library made to be similar to PAlib)

releasing 2 old games. (im back.)

The guy seems to be going through some sort of depression from what he said in that second link (which would explain why the OP above comes off as a rant). Mental Health is important, might wanna proceed w/ care vs attacking the guy.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not only because you can't get what you want, means that a scene is dead.

A scene is not a single person, but a community and the DS one is huge.

If the DS scene is not enough for you, you're free to pass by, but don't come demanding for something you are not willing to provide as well.

Oh and BTW... who are you? Are you a Dev? A cart dumper? A DS scene news provider? A game collectionist that shares knowledge?

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only because you can't get what you want, means that a scene is dead.

A scene is not a single person, but a community and the DS one is huge.

If the DS scene is not enough for you, you're free to pass by, but don't come demanding for something you are not willing to provide as well.

Oh and BTW... who are you? Are you a Dev? A cart dumper? A DS scene news provider? A game collectionist that shares knowledge?
I agree about it being a community, though I do wish a lot of sceners pulled their own weight instead of just leeching everything. :-/

DigitalDesignDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you checked out the DS Game Maker Community @aerglass ? We're a small but growing community of people using DS Game Maker to make Nintendo DS games and we'd love to have you join and anyone else who's interested in making DS games. That is, if you haven't already joined.

The links to our Discord Server and DSGM Resource website are below:

DS Game Maker Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/uzNM8gGSA4

DS Game Maker Resource Site:
https://digitaldesigndude.github.io/DSGM-Resource-Site/index.html

b2p1mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of people lately are getting into making the DS into a Gameboy Macro mod. That gives new life to old DS systems that have broken hinges and top screen problems . There is even a patch for New Super Mario Bros that makes it work better on the Gameboy Macro. Another fantastic app, Universal Updater is a great tool still. Many apps are being updated weekly or even daily. The scene is not dead. DS(i) and 3DS stuff may be emerging more but DS is alive in my mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    man now I want some weed
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Thanks ken
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Great game. But I'd buy it straight up before paying for prime. Unless you order something everyday from amazon, not worth it imo
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm one of those people that Amazon loses money on the Prime subscription with
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I abuse the fuck out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Prime says I've already saved $400 this year lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where do you see how much you've saved?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Under orders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    See maybe good for you guys, but I don't hardly ever order from amazon, maybe only couple times a month
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Primes great because I stopped getting into arguments with the door greeter at Walmart
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahahaha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They see me so much in there they don't even ask for me receipt anymore tbh
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Pain in the ass, don't see it anywhere on the desktop site, had to pull it up on my phone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think they gave up on the website and mainly focus on the app
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Desktop site > mobile site > mobile app
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Mobile app is such absolute dogshit, I haven't used it in SO long
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah mobile versions better people don't think about how apps are just shrunken down websites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be the phone connection etc I've mostly been fine with the app
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy