DSi 1.4.3 is out!

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not sure how this all works, I'm guessing Nintendo actually block the game ID and the cartridge won't boot. The game ID is then altered when you update to the latest firmware and it works again. All Nintendo do on the next update is change the game ID again. Why not release software that will generate a random game ID and build the firmware to flash to the cartridge. Then Nintendo will have a harder time blocking it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adgloride said:
Not sure how this all works, I'm guessing Nintendo actually block the game ID and the cartridge won't boot. The game ID is then altered when you update to the latest firmware and it works again. All Nintendo do on the next update is change the game ID again. Why not release software that will generate a random game ID and build the firmware to flash to the cartridge. Then Nintendo will have a harder time blocking it.
There is the chance that they may turn to harsher methods if that happens.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
tom10122 said:
-snip-

there will always be usable headers,always

Actually no. There might not be that many left after all means are tested. Not every game works AFAIK and thus may end up making quite a bit of problems with some carts.

-Qtis

kenpachi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if they blocked the alex stormrider from working on the acekard a long time ago, why was supercard ds two able to use it again with their 1.4.2 update??? are you people sure that these explaoitable games can't be manupulated multiple times to keep working? seems like alex stormrider was.

D

Deleted-236924

kenpachi said:
So if they blocked the alex stormrider from working on the acekard a long time ago, why was supercard ds two able to use it again with their 1.4.2 update??? are you people sure that these explaoitable games can't be manupulated multiple times to keep working? seems like alex stormrider was.
Supercard Team doesn't even make you flash a new firmware.
It only makes you switch over a file on the microSD and it works again.

kenpachi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
kenpachi said:

So the supercard method will work forever? Well then what are we bitching about? everyone just buy a supercard and be done with it right? or the other manufactures can release a new hardware revision that uses the same method? I mean, really, who can't afford 10-40 bucks for a new cart? You'd spend that one a single aaa game at the store.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good freakin greif i havent updated my dsi since 1.4.1, i still dont have a reason to im now going to have to wait to update my flashcarts to support this version i wonder what next game header the teams are going to use

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
spinal_cord said:
I still find it weird that they block individual carts each time, rather than a blanket 'if the cart is doing something sneaky then block it' rendering all flash carts useless for all time.

my theory is that they are stringing along the pirates and homebrew users. by blocking a few at a time and by not attempting to block the way the 1st generation of flash kits work, it keeps people in our community buying the hardware. the longer they string us along the more hardware sales they have.

-another world

D

Deleted-236924

kenpachi said:
Pingouin7 said:
kenpachi said:

So the supercard method will work forever? Well then what are we bitching about? everyone just buy a supercard and be done with it right? or the other manufactures can release a new hardware revision that uses the same method? I mean, really, who can't afford 10-40 bucks for a new cart? You'd spend that one a single aaa game at the store.
I doubt that.
When you change the files for EOS to make it work for the newest firmware, it just changes the exploit for that game header.
Eventually they'll run out of exploits for that game and will have to find another.

huangyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quote from acekard site

Please do not update your DSi to 1.4.3

Please do not update your DSi to 1.4.3 until we release update file for Ak2i. Thank you.

looks like we need to wait a longer time Again !

D

Deleted-236924

It doesn't say the update will take a year.
It simply warns people not to update until they release their fix.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Notice a pattern?
DSi System Update 1.4.3 said:
This update provides behind-the-scenes improvements to system performance.
Wii System Update 4.2 said:
This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.
Wii System Update 4.3
This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tom10122 said:
Pingouin7 said:
Nimbus said:
QUOTE said:
This update provides behind-the-scenes improvements to system performance.

Lol we're gonna block your weak flashcards again fail at this miserably, and generally add nothing of any value whatsoever!

Fixed.

I don't have a DSi myself, but it seems like another dick move by Nintendo to release an update for anything that does nothing....oh wait!

Pity those that have flashcarts that no longer work on the new update.

If you were Nintendo, you wouldn't say the same thing.
If they didn't update their systems to block flashcards, then everyone could just use their flashcart.
By continuously blocking headers, it will narrow down the list of possible useable headers for flashcart's exploits.
Over time, they will all be used up and we will have to find a new way to get the flashcarts to load.

there will always be usable headers,always

Evo.lve said:
damedus said:
Evo.lve said:
QUOTE(damedus @ May 22 2011, 03:10 PM)
so both the dorasu 3ds update and the old 1.4.1 update are blocked in 1.4.2 or is it just the non 3ds update thats blocked?

Since you obviously didn't understand what I said, just forget about it...
you said they exploit a game to get it to boot, but all cards do that none of the cards out in the market can run without using code from an exploitable game. I mean if a freaking company decides to fully copy a rom as their bootoloader so no mater what checks ninty checks for it would be there then it would stop this cat and mouse.
*FACE FUCKING PALM*

It doesn't work like that.

Some carts already run without using code from an exploitable game (well they do, but its minimal and doesn't get worked around), like the DS2. Regardless of what game it shows, when the DS asks the card for code, it will always respond with the correct code needed.

And also fully copying a ROM as a bootloader:
1) that's just retarded,
2a) "fully copying" a non-exploitable ROM, one with actually decent security, won't work. And also, seeing as all the exploitable games are piece of shit shovelwares, (all exploitable ROMs being shovelware =/= all shovelware being an exploitable ROM) it's not really a loss to Nintendo to block the game from running whatsoever,
2b) all exploitable ROMs are just that, EXPLOITED.
THEY ACTUALLY NEED TO BE EXPLOITED BEFORE THEY WILL BOOT A FLASHCART
and it's not really an effort for Nintendo to patch an exploit (which is why Tak, Star Wars, Danny Phantom amongst others no longer work).

QUOTE(adgloride @ Jul 1 2011, 06:28 AM)
The DSi(XL) and the 3DS have (AFAIK) 2 different checks (by which I mean there are 2 checks for each system, not the DSi having one and the 3DS having another). The first is for the header - if it passes it moves onto the next check. The next check queries the cart for information and a real legit cart of Danny Phantom or Star Wars or Alex Rider or Tak or whatever responds with the correct data, from the correct location. First generation flashcarts such as the Acekard cannot do this - they rely on an exploit to make the DSi "think" they have the correct data or something like that, whereas second generation flashcarts such as the Supercard use software response compared to 1st Gen's hardware response - they fake a header and respond with the correct information regardless.

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Pingouin7 said:
By continuously blocking headers, it will narrow down the list of possible useable headers for flashcart's exploits.
Over time, they will all be used up and we will have to find a new way to get the flashcarts to load.
If they release an update every day, it'll take about 15 years to use up all known headers.

Also I wonder how much flashcard sellers are charging their customers to upgrade their flashcard for them.
Nintendo is helping them make money.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
perkele said:
If they release an update every day, it'll take about 15 years to use up all known headers.

Also I wonder how much flashcard sellers are charging their customers to upgrade their flashcard for them.
Nintendo is helping them make money.
Not all headers are usable...actually most aren't usable. So it's a lot shorter than 15 years...a lot shorter.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Pingouin7 said:
I doubt that.
When you change the files for EOS to make it work for the newest firmware, it just changes the exploit for that game header.
Eventually they'll run out of exploits for that game and will have to find another.

one of the teams told me directly that the scds2 uses the new method. the file itself doesn't matter, as it is a valid icon so it passes check 1. for check 2 the system queries the game cart for data. the developers simply find out what new data its asking for and update their response system. after both checks pass the firmware layer can be booted.

in theory it should work forever or at least until nintendo stops supporting the dsi.

-another world

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
Pingouin7 said:
I doubt that.

one of the teams told me directly that the scds2 uses the new method. the file itself doesn't matter, as it is a valid icon so it passes check 1. for check 2 the system queries the game cart for data. the developers simply find out what new data its asking for and update their response system. after both checks pass the firmware layer can be booted.

in theory it should work forever or at least until nintendo stops supporting the dsi.

-another world
So, let me confirm - software response is unblockable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh