Gaming Dual-Booting

Rowan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I'm an ubuntu newbie,

I have successfully installed Ubuntu 9.10 onto my external hard drive and I think it's great
smile.gif

However, I have windows vista installed onto my internal hard drive and that's the reason I have ubuntu on my external,

I tried partitioning my internal hard drive and successfully shrank it down leaving unallocated space available,

I then restarted my computer and the boot screen left me with an error, meaning vista couldn't be loaded, so I had to use my recovery disk to reinstall it
frown.gif

So I eventually installed ubuntu on my external hard drive, this is great except for the fact I need to have the external hard drive plugged in to boot my computer even if I only want to go on windows,

Is there a way around this? Possibly by moving an ubuntu boot file onto my windows hard drive or something?

Thanks in advance

Rowan

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like GRUB may be an issue. It'd be easier to simply have both OS on your internal drive.

If you really want to continue to use Ubuntu on your external drive you should write GRUB to the MBR of your external drive. Also be sure that your bios supports booting from usb.

Basically it should make your external drive bootable that should run on any pc that supports usb booting, and it will leave your Windows installation and Windows bootloader untouched (though you may have to repair it from your previous install).

Windows should boot normally this way when the usb drive is unplugged. With the usb drive plugged in Ubuntu should boot (you could add in a further GRUB entry to boot from Windows when the usb drive is plugged in). You will have to set your usb drive to be bootable first in your bios, followed by your internal drive.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen bud, you're going about this all the wrong way.
Download Wubi. Google it and then install.

Wubi lets you install and dual boot windows and ubuntu, but it does all the confusing stuff for you!
Try it, it's never given me any problems!

Good luck and PM me if you need more help.

Rowan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, when you say dual boot, I'd still have to load up windows to load up wubi to use ubuntu, to me that defeats the object of having ubuntu, I mean I want to be able to boot it from the start

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use, Wubi, no need for partition, what it does, is it makes a virtual hdd on your main hdd, biggest it can go is 30gb, and it will add a option to your windows boot loader to start Ubuntu. so when you press power, it will say start Windows Vista, or below that it will say Ubuntu, and you use the arrow keys to choose which one you want, and if you dont want ubuntu anymore, you can uninstall it.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
murkurie said:
Use, Wubi, no need for partition, what it does, is it makes a virtual hdd on your main hdd, biggest it can go is 30gb, and it will add a option to your windows boot loader to start Ubuntu. so when you press power, it will say start Windows Vista, or below that it will say Ubuntu, and you use the arrow keys to choose which one you want, and if you dont want ubuntu anymore, you can uninstall it.
Wubi isn't a real install, it's a glorified Live install.

If you're doing a dual boot, just use GRUB2, and it's OS prober. It'll set up everything for you.

seahorsepip

Trophies
Website
seahorsepip.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
yea do what Antoligy say,
Install vista(bad idea-> install 7 and if not wanna pay use "remove mat(replace m with w, did it to bypass another warning for it XD)") then make vista install smaller with live ubuntu and gparted then install ubuntu on free space with the desktop shortcut.
after that you will restart and see options for linux(other modes and standard mode) and windows
wink.gif

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Please don't use wubi. That's not really a good idea in the long run. You can't hibernate or sleep, you won't be able to boot into it if something happens to your Windows partition, any viruses from Windows can affect your Ubuntu files and you will be subjected to fragmentation. Just do what seahorsepip said and if you feel like uninstalling it, use EasyBCD to restore the Windows bootloader then delete the partition.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nutella5600 said:
Please don't use wubi. That's not really a good idea in the long run. You can't hibernate or sleep, you won't be able to boot into it if something happens to your Windows partition, any viruses from Windows can affect your Ubuntu files and you will be subjected to fragmentation. Just do what seahorsepip said and if you feel like uninstalling it, use EasyBCD to restore the Windows bootloader then delete the partition.

Not to mention that if there is a power outage, most likely you'll corrupt the file system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Fun fact @SylverReZ: iirc one of the goals on the fnf Kickstarter stated that pico 2 would be finished but the Kickstarter didnt get enough money for that goal to be fullfiled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, FNF sucks, their community is toxic as hell.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ its a single player game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, Yea but it has a shitton of mods with their own songs and stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and quite a lot of people involved in those mods get cancelled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Newgrounds wasn't the birth of FNF; rather, it was games where you beat up celebrities and parodies.
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    FNF was born from Game Jams
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    Specifically Ludum Dare 47
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and Sonic fights a la dragón ball z
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: