Mohammad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some real quick dumb questions because google isn't helping me
hate2.gif

1) Does the regular flashme just remove the warning screen, etc. the little select game / pictochat / download play is still there?

2) What firmware version is it that they fixed it so that the firmware was protected from malware?

3) Are there other firmware replacements?

4) What will happen if I put in my superkey with it? Will the supekey still work like normal or will the flashme ignore it?

5) Is it worth it?
ph34r.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No such thing as a stupid question (well okay, there are some exceptions but that's beside the point).

1. Regular FlashMe only removes the warning screen before booting up to the regular menu screen with Pictochat and everything. There's also a version that leaves the warning screen there if you wish.

2. Most DS Lites protect 99% of the DS firmware under the SL-1 contact (the 1% being user settings and wifi settings), while most DS Phats (and I believe some early DS Lites as well) have varying amounts of the firmware protected.

3. There are, but none worth serious consideration. There's loopy's test developmental firmware (Loopy created FlashMe btw), FWNITRO (which only works on supported slot-2 devices), and CreeboMe (which I never really looked into). Stick with FlashMe if you're going for a firmware replacement.

4. FlashMe itself will boot the slot-2 device as soon as the DS is turned on, so it will act exactly the same whether you have the Superkey in or not. Actually wait, there is one difference. With FlashMe, holding down a specific button (I forgot which one) will prevent the automatic slot-2 booting and will instead go to the regular DS menu screen. With the Superkey inserted, it will boot to the slot-2 device first no matter what. This is standard behavior of the Superkey though, so it doesn't really have anything to do with FlashMe.

5. Depends on your own assessment on the risk-vs-reward conflict. Some will say that the risk of bricking your DS by screwing up the FlashMe installation makes it all not worth it. I personally think it is worth it, especially if you've got a slot-2 device you wish to use in DS mode. If you know what you're doing and have done some research on proper FlashMe installation, the risk of bricking is very small.

Mohammad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not afraid of bricking (I work with robots so this isn't anything out of my "field") But after thinking about I don't really think I need it. I will be getting a SCDS ONE then using my SCSD for extra RAM when needed (like opera, or DSLinux) so I don't think I need it on my slot-2. Oh now I remember I was going to install flash-me so I didn't have to worry about bricking. But I just got it a couple days ago (the newest pokemon LE NDS) so I guess I don't need to worry about trojans/malwares. Dan you seem to be awnsering all my questions today
wink.gif
thanks
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be alright. For the rare occasions when you want to boot up the SC SD in DS mode (for SnezziDS for example), you can use the SCDS as a NoPass device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Crazy people actually spend $50 on that stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.