Falcom announces Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for Japan

ysiximage.jpg

After confirming that a new title was in development as of last August, the latest Ys game has been officially revealed as Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Additionally, story information and gameplay elements have been lightly detailed on the Japanese website. The game is set for a 2019 release in Japan as a PlayStation 4 exclusive. Ys IX's narrative will focus on creatures who can wield supernatural powers, called Monstrum, which will also tie into the gameplay by allowing for players to also use these abilities in order to explore the world. As this was announced by Falcom JP, no English translation has been confirmed at the time of reveal, though XSEED and NIS America have localized every modern entry within the series.

I became someone other than myself. Have you ever that kind of dream?

I think about myself in that dream. Is this me, or is this not me?

Are dreams reality, or are reality dreams? I’ve reached an awfully simple answer.

“Whichever is fine.”

Which is true—or which is not true. Both are reality.

– An excerpt from “Baldeux’s Cell”

:arrow: Source

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, he's the frigging protagonist, that's why.

That's the thing, though, he doesn't have to be *the* protagonist. They made Ys Origin with Adol. They've got enough lore to make games that don't include Adol. I know it's popular to make a bunch of games with the same character (or name as in the Link series), but I don't think there's anything wrong with having another protagonist in another part of the world or setting it at a different time. The general gameplay and the lore are what set the major continuity.

Of course, take all what I say with a grain of salt. I played Ys Origin first, then Ys I, and haven't much played the rest of the games (played a little Ys 7/8)--maybe someday if there's a decently cheap Ys bundle. So, I don't have particular strong feelings about keeping Adol around or that specific era of time. I think Zelda constantly using "Zelda/Link" everywhere/everytime and trying to retrocon the reasoning is silly, so Ys is still a lot better in that area.

But if you start to think about it, how old is Adol at this point? Sea voyages can take months, recuperation, etc. That, and of course, it becomes a running joke about shipwrecks and national rescues. Imagine what the insurance rates for ships carrying Adol around would be.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Huh people really consider Dana bad?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You see it wrong Lore wise the story are told in retrospective. Adol is long since dead and wrote down his memorials. What of it is right and what of it is made up by him is unclear xD

Last edited by ken28,

Selman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Hate that thing that Sony does with games (especially JRPGs) where they have to be exclusive for the PS4!! waiting for a PC port!

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
hrth

Serially, I love YS on the ps4 and swatch. I still avent finishen it on ps4. Im playin on ultra hard so enemy deal a load of damaged. I hope they dont screw up this entry. I hope they ass multiplayer so friends han play other Main characters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica