Hacking GBA FFVI Advance - Seeking Codebreaker Help From Experienced Hackers

shamoneb6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use codebreaker codes to disable all AP gains. I think many people in the FFVI community would find this helpful, as one of the most popular game challenges is an NMG (Natural Magic Game), which prohibits the use of spells not naturally learned. As it stands, people have to add so many extra restrictions in an NMG just to avoid learning spells (such as disallowing spell-teaching equipment), thus, the need for a code. I've been able to complete about 50% of the work, but now I'm stuck...here's what I have so far:

I think there are two main types of encounters that the game treats differently:
  • Normal encounters (rewarding both AP and EXP)
  • Zero EXP encounters (rewarding only AP)
The good news is that I was able to disable AP for normal encounters with this code: 320000FB 0000.
However, I can't figure out how to disable the AP from those 0xp encounters, which account for a fair amount of enemies and bosses throughout the game.

I used mGBA to narrow down the memory addresses related to AP gained from encounters.
  • 020000FB (Codebreaker code: 320000FB 0000. Works for regular encounters but not 0xp encounters.)
  • 02002F35 (Codebreaker code: 32002F35 0000. Changes the display text value of AP in the reward screen to 0, but doesn't seem to impact the actual amount of AP gained.)

I'm testing on the US version of FFVI Advance.
Emulators used: mGBA (PC), gpSP (Miyoo Mini)

I'm not very experienced with codebreaker, so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by shamoneb6,

shamoneb6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've figured it out. I want to test it a little more before posting just to make sure it's safe. I'd hate to irresponsibly break someone's game. Will update soon.
Post automatically merged:

I think I've figured it out. I want to test it a little more before posting just to make sure it's safe. I'd hate to irresponsibly break someone's game. Will update soon.
Here's the code.
Disable AP:
82003ED4 0001

In case anyone needs to know how it works: the memory address matches the ID of the current formation you're fighting. The game checks it and awards AP based on said ID. Using codebreaker, we can overwrite it with whatever monster formation ID we want. In this case, I've chosen [0001], 2 silver Lobos, which award 0 AP. Now, all enemies award 0 AP, which is what we want. If we overwrite it with a different ID, say the ID of Cactuars [00DD], every enemy will now award 10 AP, the same as Cactuars.

All Enemies Give 10 AP:
82003ED4 00DD

You can find the monster formation IDs on Samurai Goroh's website. GBAtemp won't let me link it, so just google "Samurai Goroh FFVI codes."

Last edited by shamoneb6,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe