Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really great work, Steve and Jim. At this point it seems the last major flaw is the crackling audio, the only thing keeping me using the DS version. Sound emulation happens to be my kryptonite, so even if I were to come out of my hidey hole I wouldn't be much help :P So, I simply hope it gets figured out.

And, I'm loving the model gamesquest1 :P

The only major flaw??
What about all those games that doesn't work anymore?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only major flaw??

Well, there are always compatibility issues... funny enough, none of the games you mentioned are games I've ever tested myself. I just tried double dragon, and you're right, the last game you played does affect how it works, which is a little concerning.

Reactions: VinsCool and Idaho

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it's only bugs affecting the last game played, for now, you can always exit the emulator and run it again, until it's properly fixed.

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only major flaw??
Well, there are always compatibility issues... funny enough, none of the games you mentioned are games I've ever tested myself. I just tried double dragon, and you're right, the last game you played does affect how it works, which is a little concerning.
Steve already found the commit that broke it. It's only a matter of tracking the code that causes the issue. Probably just some untended corner case.
https://github.com/Steveice10/GameYob/commit/5ac4a9b9111cfcdb6ddf4b0c9f4a1224d4edccda

Reactions: zfreeman

Mystic Shadow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a weird error after playing Pokemon crystal (testing it for fun) I went to links awakening DX and half the screen was black on the intro and about 30sec sitting on the title screen. None of the screen setting changed it. It just randomly fixed itself. Closed the emu lauched DX again and it was perfectly fine. Just thrown it out in the wild and it was the US one if it helps/matters.

Da_GPer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the problem with the status screen not showing correctly in Donkey Kong been fixed yet? I havent heard any new news on this emulator in a while now.

D

Deleted User

Has the problem with the status screen not showing correctly in Donkey Kong been fixed yet? I havent heard any new news on this emulator in a while now.

I've been busy working on FCEUMM3DS and my common library code as of late. I'll probably get back to GameYob sometime soon.

D

Deleted User

The only major flaw??
Finally got around to looking into your game issues some more. Figured out that it was an existing issue from a PC read optimization that was exposed by my ROM file management changes. Just about all of your issues should be fixed now, although I do know that Volley Fire's issue hasn't been fixed yet. I'll keep looking into that one.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=0

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finally got around to looking into your game issues some more. Figured out that it was an existing issue from a PC read optimization that was exposed by my ROM file management changes. Just about all of your issues should be fixed now, although I do know that Volley Fire's issue hasn't been fixed yet. I'll keep looking into that one.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=0
Unfcknbelievable! VERY GREAT UPDATE!
Indeed, all my games, except like you already said 'Volley Fire', works!

I'm very happy with this emualtor, I think it's nearly perfect now :)

I've got one more question:
I have used a GameBoy bios (the classic one) to give it even MORE nostalgic feeling to it. But the bios boot screen is showing in black & white, while I prefer the classic green palette. It seems like it ignores it.

D

Deleted User

Unfcknbelievable! VERY GREAT UPDATE!
Indeed, all my games, except like you already said 'Volley Fire', works!

I'm very happy with this emualtor, I think it's nearly perfect now :)

I've got one more question:
I have used a GameBoy bios (the classic one) to give it even MORE nostalgic feeling to it. But the bios boot screen is showing in black & white, while I prefer the classic green palette. It seems like it ignores it.
Can you try now? I added some code which should be able to detect the GB BIOS to put it into GB mode instead of GBC mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=0

Reactions: HtheB and Idaho

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can you try now? I added some code which should be able to detect the GB BIOS to put it into GB mode instead of GBC mode.

Thanks for the quick fix! it works now :)
I've found another bug though, some games wont load after the bios. It stays at the Nintendo logo, for example: Amazing Tater and all the Mega Man games (except for Mega Man II :P )

Edit:
Simple feature request: How about selecting 2 seperate bios files? One for GB, and one for GBC games.
If the extention of the game is .gb, it will automatically load the gb bios. If it's .gbc it will load the gbc bios.
Because now, I have the green classic gameboy bios loading when actually playing a gbc game. Doesn't look realistic :P (This emu seriously gets better and better!!)

Reactions: SLiV3R
D

Deleted User

Simple feature request: How about selecting 2 seperate bios files? One for GB, and one for GBC games.
If the extention of the game is .gb, it will automatically load the gb bios. If it's .gbc it will load the gbc bios.
Because now, I have the green classic gameboy bios loading when actually playing a gbc game. Doesn't look realistic :P (This emu seriously gets better and better!!)
Done. You can now select a GB and GBC BIOS and specify whether to automatically determine which to use based on the game, use the GB BIOS always, or use the GBC BIOS always. If it's set to automatic and the GB BIOS isn't present, it will use the GBC BIOS for GB games.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Done. You can now select a GB and GBC BIOS and specify whether to automatically determine which to use based on the game, use the GB BIOS always, or use the GBC BIOS always. If it's set to automatic and the GB BIOS isn't present, it will use the GBC BIOS for GB games.

Do you accept donations? I really appreciate your work! Especially after you've done all my requests (Like adding the stereo sound, greenish classic gameboy palette, game fixes, bios feature)

(have you take a look about the freezes after a bios yet?)

D

Deleted User

Do you accept donations? I really appreciate your work! Especially after you've done all my requests (Like adding the stereo sound, greenish classic gameboy palette, game fixes, bios feature)

(have you take a look about the freezes after a bios yet?)
I don't accept donations, sorry. Just not something I do.

I'll be sure to take a look at the game-related bugs reported so far when I can. No guarantees for when they'll be fixed.

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Steveice10, I have a question about the sound:
Indeed in some titles, we can hear some "crackle". This is a little cons, versus all the huge pro of this awesome emulator. Do you know from where it comes?
Good job, man.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Omg stop telling us about how you put your dick in pis already