Gaming is Dead, and Here's Why

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flappy Bird is nothing more than a glorified, Nintendo Game & Watch game but with improved graphics. I would have to agree that cheap thrill / quick fix type of games such as this aren't entirely to blame, however, they sure are aiding in the DE-evolution of gaming on a much broader scale.

Especially when taking a more in-depth investigation of these changes, even within merely the last decade or so.

Lucas.d

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I agree that some inovations of this generation are futile, like the tablet-like controller of the WiiU and caring to much about High Definition, but more than this, what is making video gaming different than it was in the past, in my opnion, are the costs to produce a game. I think that the cost lie not in the algoritms itself (AI like and so), but in the production of High Definitions graphics, what, in my opinon, are useless. Too much companies are caring too much about its video game look like reality, they have to spend much money to create such graphics and to profit they have to sold more video games than ever was sold in the History. Look back in the ages of SNES, PSX and PS2, they have not much graphics, video games sold less and, even so, there was too much games in the shelfs. Look in the Nintendo DS, low graphics, too much (good) games, good profit.

Gamers do not always want graphics, what we want are fun, good stories and good gameplay. Some inovations are dispensable, like the 3D of the 3DS, but it may be somehow fun, if used in the right way. Like was said, XboxOne and PS4 are just "more High Definition graphics to what we already saw in the previous generation". So, why not remain in the past generation, but make better games? Even the WiiU have not much to add but the HD graphics; nobody cares about its coltroller tablet appearance.

Mobile gaming are another "cash-making, few time of fun" (nobody's playing Flappy Bird anymore) that can be compared to DLC based games, like music and dance games (beside, in my opinion, Wii's Just Dance are more fun than mobile gaming). These kind of game will never be compared to the horde of classics the 1st-4th generation had, and its games must had be hard to produce back then, but sold less than the best selling games of this decade, became classics and made money. Not because it look like reality, but because they were, basically, fun in much ways: it was fun to play, had fun stories and so on. Nowadays games just care about being reality-like, has no story we care about and make we compete online for useless achievements. I beliece games can be good as they were in the past, they just have to learn with its predecessors.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, indie gaming has started taking the reigns. Unfortunately though, there are so many developers that are just looking to make an easy dollar for as little work as possible, and sadly, they do, because mobile gamers seem to be easily entertained. There are, however, those precious gems, such as Terraria, Transistor and Journey, much like how there are those precious gems that come from AAA developers.

Anyway, I think we're coming to a shift where the AAA developers are going to be few and far between (it's already becoming like that now) and Indie Developers will, essentially, be taking over the market. And unfortunately, there's too many of them that seem to be ruining it.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, how dare simple addictive gameplay become a success.
Mario should have never received the popularity it had, nor Pac-Man, or arcade games, ect

Nice. Nice comparison.

Pac-Man was a simple addictive gameplay, because it was released in 1980. 90% of games were simple and addictive 34 years ago. Because technology didn't allow for much.

Flappy bird on the other hand, is a quick cash-in that got lucky.

Nothing more to it.

Its a money maker. No love, no story, no hard work put into it what so ever.

I think there's a pretty obvious difference between the two.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Nice comparison.

Pac-Man was a simple addictive gameplay, because it was released in 1980. 90% of games were simple and addictive 34 years ago. Because technology didn't allow for much.
Time and technology has nothing to do with simple addictive gameplay, you can make terrible games back then, and you can make terrible games now.
Also you're wrong in saying that "technology didn't allow for much" We already have full-fledged turn-based RPGs in the early 1980s

Flappy bird on the other hand, is a quick cash-in that got lucky.
How is it a cash grab?
There's no in-game cash shop, and the ads rarely appear. This does not affect it's gameplay at all.

Its a money maker. No love, no story, no hard work put into it what so ever.
...What does this have to do with anything? How does the development of the game effect the quality of it's gameplay?

I think there's a pretty obvious difference between the two.
No, there isn't.
Flappy Birds is a success because of it's simple and addictive gameplay, it does not matter of it's development history, if it's a cash grab, what time it came out, ect.

TFerdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's definitely not dead. It's the largest entertainment industry in the world and is bigger than it's ever been. What's happening is that it's going through a big transitional period. The middle range developers all went bust, the big developers have been spending more and more (and making fewer games) and the indies have filled in all the gaps. I think what will happen is that the AAAs will need to seriously reign in their spending. The graphics budgets are unsustainable. Then the most successful indies will grow and grow and fill the space left by the mid-range devs. And things will more or less be back to the way they used to be.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
More like "my gaming hobbie is dying". For today standards a lot of people still have fun with lots of games (including all the shovelware-microtransaction ones). Don't get me wrong, I prefer retro games instead of the new ones, but that doesn't imply that games are awful right now, that doesn't justify that we as retro gamers are a path to follow for younger audience. Just play or re-play the games that still are fun to you.

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming isn't dead. It's just that there aren't too many good titles worthy of our time and money on any of the latest consoles.

Gaming is more mainstream these days with every man, woman, and child toting around a smartphone, but I feel there aren't enough new game ideas being introduced. Just new technology with higher specs but lacking quality titles.

But I guess age does have something to do with opinion. For the youngsters, the latest consoles and games are some of their first experiences with gaming genres and styles the adults have seen done before. So the younger gamers aren't as critical, but they also don't have as much expendable income as us "experienced" gamers.

excellent answer too bad there are only a few people out there that realize this.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i just tell you that the market is not a good reflexion on the situation... it might be that innovation ain't selling good, that could be... but that means i don't see it at the places it gets selled. the back to the market: the marked is echoing what people expect based on earlier experiences now, this will go on for some years, but it is going straight for a heart attack. you can disagree to me... but read this back in about 3 years...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol